Gransnet forums

Chat

Storm arriving soon! Batten down the hatches.

(273 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 10:02:46

Am getting storm ready grin candles and matches....
Plenty of food in.... moving pots of emerging Spring bulbs to shelter.....
Hope you all have no problems, but perhaps tomorrow could
Say how things are in your neck of the woods.
My DH is always worried about fencing being blown down as we seem unlucky on that score.

lemongrove Mon 10-Feb-20 09:26:41

?Callistemon ! Where are you?

We seem to have escaped without damage ( apart from some
Willow cladding coming away from one fence) but haven’t checked the tiles yet.Twiggy bits from trees to clear up later.

So sorry to hear of the damage/floods some of you have had to deal with, hope you don’t get any more rain today.

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 09:54:39

All OK!

It was one of those large garden boxes where we keep the cushions for garden furniture. The cushions are safely stowed in the attic. It did keep thumping against the house wall all night though!
The bins were all tipped over, in a neat row against the garden wall.

Apart from that all is ok but I know that others had it far worse, some not far away, so I hope everyone is safe and dry this morning.

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 09:55:26

We're in S Wales lemongrove

MawB Mon 10-Feb-20 09:57:17

I have posted this elsewhere, but in case you missed it. Apparently the roof of a local cheese factory was blown off. De brie everywhere. ??

MawB Mon 10-Feb-20 10:01:11

A wee bit windy!

Lucca Mon 10-Feb-20 10:02:59

The rain that just started is looking a bit like snow .....

Marydoll Mon 10-Feb-20 11:35:55

It's a blizzard here in Glasgow. Mx

Bellanonna Mon 10-Feb-20 12:04:21

Awful that a man was killed on the A33 yesterday afternoon by a tree falling on his car.

Scribbles Mon 10-Feb-20 14:11:05

After a night of heavy intermittent showers, it was a beautiful morning here, just outside Lincoln - sunny and quite cold in a stiff breeze but the kind of morning to put on a warm coat and enjoy a brisk walk.

Things change, though. By midday, it was heavily overcast and almost dark; the wind speed had increased with some vicious gusts and now it's siling down with rain again. Hatches are battened down until tomorrow.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 10-Feb-20 14:35:57

We've had a bit of wind today - not as much as yesterday, although colder - but it has been sunny until about 15 minutes ago when the snow started. It is starting to lie.

Hope you're ok ,jane and all who have had damage from the storm.

craftyone Mon 10-Feb-20 14:40:52

Its going to be a prolonged period of bad weather, another severe storm is due around the 20th

Marydoll Mon 10-Feb-20 14:46:18

In the last half an hour we have had hail, snow, thunder and lightening. A wee bit scary! ⚡❄??

Kalu Mon 10-Feb-20 14:52:18

I have just updated on the GM thread.

It seems we are having everything thrown at us today Mary Very loud peal of thunder and bright lightening was a bit scary?
Poor cat has been under the bed all day. I’m popping up and down stairs making reassuring noises and passing in some treats.
Hatches well and truly bettered down here.
Stay safe all

Kalu Mon 10-Feb-20 14:54:02

Silly predictive text.....battened ??‍♀️

JuliaM Mon 10-Feb-20 15:05:19

We have just had 2inches of snow drop in the last hour and half, it was like a whiteout, its settled and the roads are really bad, we have just heard that two lorries have colided head on in town, and the schools have asked that parents collect their children asap.

Not a scrap of grit in sight, making for a dangerous rush hour later, especially if it drops more snow and it contiues to freeze.

Marydoll Mon 10-Feb-20 17:22:09

Apparently we have had thundersnow here in Glasgow.

What causes thundersnow and how rare is it?
The rare phenomenon occurs when thunderstorms - which are much more common in summer months - form in wintry conditions.

If the weather is cold the rain associated with a thunderstorm can then fall as snow and thus is called thundersnow.

It's unusual only because it can only occur in a few months of the year.
I knew we Weegies were unusual! grin

Fennel Mon 10-Feb-20 17:24:25

Ciara has hit the western depts. of France too. with floods and power cuts. Here's one comment:
"Bof! les Français sont habitués, entre les gilets jaunes et les professionnels du mécontentement, la tempête Ciara est un épiphénomène."
Something like " It's nothing! French people are used to it, between the gilets jaunes and discontented professionals, Ciara is a secondary phenomenon."

Jessity Mon 10-Feb-20 17:59:57

MawB I saw your comment on another thread and loved it ?

merlotgran Mon 10-Feb-20 18:14:41

DGD is at South Bucks uni and has messaged me in great excitement to say it's snowing in High Wycombe grin

Growing up in Gosport she's hardly ever seen what she calls 'real snow' grin

It brought back memories of being at school in High Wycombe during the sixties and praying the darkening sky would deliver what we were hoping for because we would be sent home early if the buses couldn't get up Marlow Hill.

What goes around, comes around. grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Feb-20 18:15:41

We have horrendous gusty wind and heavy rain here in SE Essex at the moment.

Parts of our seafront have been closed along with the pier.

gulligranny Mon 10-Feb-20 18:19:21

Merlotgran, I'm just outside High Wycombe and yes, it's snowing! We've had everything in the last 36 hours - howling winds, rain so heavy you couldn't see across the road, thunder, lightning and, briefly this morning, lovely sunshine and blue skies (but it was still very windy).

Mommawolf Mon 10-Feb-20 20:40:21

It's snowing in Norfolk and the wind is back. Just checked the critters for the night, even the hens are asleep. Going to be a rough night again temp has dropped rapidly will be ice on the roads tonight. A few gritters would be nice not a sign of them anywhere.