Gransnet forums

Chat

Storm arriving soon! Batten down the hatches.

(272 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 10:02:46

Am getting storm ready grin candles and matches....
Plenty of food in.... moving pots of emerging Spring bulbs to shelter.....
Hope you all have no problems, but perhaps tomorrow could
Say how things are in your neck of the woods.
My DH is always worried about fencing being blown down as we seem unlucky on that score.

jo1book Sat 08-Feb-20 10:05:35

It looks like the South East is going to take the brunt. Sussex and Kent?

BBbevan Sat 08-Feb-20 10:10:32

We are in SWWales near the sea. So as long as the sea doesn’t breech the sand dunes we should be alright. Hope that isn’t famous last words. Good luck everyone

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 10:14:53

Food shopping done, will have to hunt for Christmas candles which were put away.

I thought we in the West would get the brunt of it, BBbevan but not this time.

Stay safe everyone.

Chestnut Sat 08-Feb-20 10:17:33

The coastal regions usually get hit the worst, which coast depends on the wind direction. Having lived in the south west for several years we had some horrendous storms crashing in from the Atlantic. Now I'm in the centre of the country and it's a lot calmer.....but there's no beautiful coastline ?

Oopsminty Sat 08-Feb-20 10:19:37

We're on the coast. NW England

It's a glorious day here today

Bright blue sky and brilliant sunshine

Hard to believe we might get a storm soon

Juliet27 Sat 08-Feb-20 10:20:50

It looks like the South East is going to take the brunt. Sussex and Kent?

I’ll let you know!!

kittylester Sat 08-Feb-20 10:31:24

Weve moved the bird table!

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 10:37:59

It's lovely here too - hard to believe that Ciara is on her way.

Missfoodlove Sat 08-Feb-20 10:38:38

I’ve put extra wine in the fridge.
Stockpiled limes for the gin and tonics and managed to get some Nduja paste in Waitrose for if things get really bad?.
Hope my smugness doesn’t come and bite me on the bum tomorrow?

Marydoll Sat 08-Feb-20 10:42:41

My daughter has just arrived in the Isle of Arran and no more ferries after theirs, due to the weather.
Heaven knows when they will get home!

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 10:43:51

shock
We forgot the limes! Lemons will have to do.

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 10:46:45

We're prepared!

Our woodburner is massive and heats the whole house. You can also cook on the top as there is room for three large pans and a kettle.

I'll move the car away from the trees though just in case shock

Missfoodlove Sat 08-Feb-20 10:54:53

merlotgran, We lived in the wilds of North Yorkshire some years ago, the wood burners were a lifesaver in a power cut!
I used the Lakeland magic carpet and fried bacon and eggs on the top of a wood burner, bit smelly but tasted fab!!

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 11:00:25

I'm going to keep an eye on the neighbour's tree.
With a bit of luck it might get blown down - gently and safely, sideways so it does no real harm to people or buildings!!

EllanVannin Sat 08-Feb-20 11:00:25

I hate the winds. We're so open here being 5mins away from the sea and the prom usually gets closed off because of the danger of waves lashing over the wall and to deter those stupid enough to park by the wall while the sea covers their cars.
It's a sight to see----when you're indoors !

I'll have to move my 4 oleanders ( in pots ) as they'll be blown all over the place, they can go in the cooee where the bins are supposed to be.

I hope nobody ventures out as it can be so dangerous with flying objects. Stay safe everyone and I hope there isn't too much damage.
I feel sorry for those who have to be out in it, workers, transport and of course the homeless sad

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 11:02:30

What's a cooee EllanV?

Ginny42 Sat 08-Feb-20 11:18:00

I hadn't seen this thread, but have just come in for a coffee and a warm after moving stuff around outside! I'm going to bring the patio table and chairs into the kitchen later. We're all electric here, but one neighbour has a wood burning stove. She might have visitors tomorrow!

On the plus side I have two lines of washing on the line blowing in the breeze. Clouds are beginning to roll in from the south here in Cheshire as I write. Stay safe everyone.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 11:27:40

It's still glorious here.
The calm before the storm

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-20 11:51:41

It's clouding over here now but I'm going to nip to the garden centre because I have a voucher to spend and there's a gap in my spring border that needs a hellebore. I try and add a couple every year as there are so many lovely ones to choose from now.

No doubt I'll be housebound tomorrow so I'd better get it in the ground this afternoon.

Calendargirl Sat 08-Feb-20 11:54:21

We still have a stockpile of candles that my mother purchased in the Winter of Discontent and the 3 day week!

BBbevan Sat 08-Feb-20 11:56:56

Lovely here too. We have a huge oak in the back garden but I think that will be fine. Not so a beautiful acer at the front that loses limbs willy nilly whenever we have a storm. Surrounded by trees here , and they make such a fearful noise in a storm .

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 13:06:25

Surrounded by silver birch here, groan, the amount of twigs falling from them in high winds is amazing ( all to be cleared up)?
Am a bit worried by a neighbours tree as well!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:14:56

Blue Sky and no wind at all here in SE Essex. We have had an amber warning for tomorrow, so we shall not be going for a stroll along the seafront.

One of AC is one road back from the beach, I always worry about them when it is stormy.

timetogo2016 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:21:06

In Staffordshire and it`s sunshine all round.
So come tomorrow who knows.
We were supposed to have snow in November/December and were still waiting so not overly worried tbh.