Gransnet forums

Chat

Storm arriving soon! Batten down the hatches.

(273 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 10:02:46

Am getting storm ready grin candles and matches....
Plenty of food in.... moving pots of emerging Spring bulbs to shelter.....
Hope you all have no problems, but perhaps tomorrow could
Say how things are in your neck of the woods.
My DH is always worried about fencing being blown down as we seem unlucky on that score.

Grammaretto Sat 08-Feb-20 13:41:02

We have a weather warning for rain and strong winds. Sounds like normal for Scotland.
We always have wood and gas if the electricity fails.
Not sure about candles.
Your intrepid daughter MaryDoll sounds a bit like you!

We were holed up in Oban last year for 3 nights waiting for the ferry. There were tourists demanding they be taken across to Mull - because they had tickets!! wink

GrannySomerset Sat 08-Feb-20 13:46:49

Here in North Somerset we have had blue sky and sunshine but clouds are now forming so I had better go and do a quick supermarket stock up before the rains arrive. Hoping it’s not too windy because the garden looks very pretty and it will be sad if everything is flattened.

GillT57 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:51:17

Hard to imagine how the forecast storm will be; here is is calm, sunny, beautiful blue skies. Just popped out to top up the bird feeders, bulbs are peeping through, lovely spring afternoon. We have candles, gin, tonic, lemons, dog food so will survive. Perhaps we could all compare notes tomorrow? Assuming my overhead power lines are not down! Best get mobile fully charged.

TwiceAsNice Sat 08-Feb-20 14:03:42

Blue skies and no wind in Surrey at the moment. Will wait and see what happens later

MissAdventure Sat 08-Feb-20 14:06:11

Its very calm here.
The trees are totally still.

Urmstongran Sat 08-Feb-20 14:08:52

Sunny & mild here in South Manchester. I think the NW gets hit first tonight.

Yes, strange to think she’s on her way ...

EllanVannin Sat 08-Feb-20 14:15:11

Callistemon, what I call a " cooee " is a sheltered area where the bins go, out of sight.

JenniferEccles Sat 08-Feb-20 14:15:51

Hatches securely battened down here in Berkshire but still calm sunny and mild here.

Isn’t it surprising how many of our common sayings have nautical origins?

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:27:04

Sunny but getting a bit breezy in Oxfordshire .
I think that the planned Village tree loppings and fellings on Monday might not be necessary, let’s hope if they come down in the wind it isn’t near the cottages.
Candles are handy, phone will be on charge tonight along with iPads, small butane gas thingys are indoors. Plenty of cans of soup etc. Heating might be a problem but we have woollies and spare blankets. But I don’t think that we are going to get the strongest winds, we shall see.
More worried about GD on a school trip in London and heading back to Cornwall tomorrow by rail, Fingers crossed they don’t have any delays, but warnings are advising against rail travel.

suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:32:14

Judging by your username EllanVannin, are you in the same area as me?
Getting pretty windy here but not gales by our standards, webcams show the sea is ok, but between the tides just now.

Marydoll Sat 08-Feb-20 14:38:56

It's really stormy and dark here in Glasgow. sad

Wheniwasyourage Sat 08-Feb-20 14:46:08

Here in NE Scotland it has been a beautiful day with a breeze until just recently. The wind has got up a bit and I have just gone and taken in the washing as the clouds are gathering. The washing was just about dry after 2 and a bit hours - not normal for February!

craftyone Sat 08-Feb-20 14:51:19

anyone remember 1987? Windows were moving in and out and in some houses they broke, so curtains drawn are a good idea. I remember pulling all my heavy curtains across, it was re-assuring. Was horrendous tbh, very scary indeed. Roofs were blown off

So I spent time yesterday, battening stuff down, heavy compost bags are useful for putting on garden furniture. I carried on today, braced some dividing trellis on a patio and added some more ratchet straps as I know the wind will be s-sw. Sustained over 3 days = lots of damage. All pots are low and water cans filled, useful as weights

I think I have done all I can, am hoping that I did a good enough job in staking my new fruit trees. My posh tall water butts were almost drained in case of ice but I re-connected 2 days ago and they are full and stable. Bins are inside the garage. Plastic storage boxes with lids all have extra weight on the lids

Its been a beautiful few days, calm before the storm. These prolonged strong winds make me very restless

grannypiper Sat 08-Feb-20 15:47:08

S.W Scotland here, we had a gorgeous sunny morning and managed to get washing dry, it had to come off the line by 13:00 as the wind started blowing a hooley. Wind is high now and the rain has just started. Candles are in place, flasks and hot water bottles filled, phones charged and food cooked. Just hoping we keep power long enough to watch the rugby.Let the fun begin

mrswoo Sat 08-Feb-20 15:48:56

It’s been a bright, blustery day here in the NE although the wind is now starting to get a bit stronger. I’m not sure what’s in store for us later as I’m a bit ill-prepared. Keep safe everyone wherever you are.

SalsaQueen Sat 08-Feb-20 15:50:53

I'm in Nottingham, and it's sunshine with blue skies here. I've made a curry from scratch, done some decorating, cleaned the downstairs windows inside and out. Nothing to do tomorrow except lounge about, then...............

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 15:52:12

I could do with a cooee, I bet I'll hear the bins going over in the middle of the night. The lids are fastened down however.

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 15:53:58

Just wondering if I should have made the curry earlier hmm - many of you seem so organised.

J52 Sat 08-Feb-20 15:57:41

Just had a beautiful 300 mile drive down the M6. Left H/H to its own fate! There’s very little between it and the Irish Sea.
I expect it will remain standing.

Oopsminty Sat 08-Feb-20 16:00:25

I haven't actually done anything!

I feel like I should be doing something

Callistemon Sat 08-Feb-20 16:01:47

calendargirl those vintage candles could be worth a fortune!

winterwhite Sat 08-Feb-20 16:31:38

I have loads of vintage candles from 1973 too. Elder DD, then aged 3, shrieked to high heaven every time the lights went out and the younger, aged 1, was always crawling around underfoot. So, tut, I panic-bought. And now the DD are forever saying 'Mother loves a good shortage'.
How do you all know it will hit the SE worst? (nervously)

NanTheWiser Sat 08-Feb-20 16:39:06

I'm in Surrey too, so keeping everything crossed it's not too bad. It's been another lovely sunny day, but beginning to cloud up now. Like lemongrove, I have a large Betula jacqemonti in the garden which sheds loads of twigs in the wind, which is a PITA. I'm stuffed if the electric goes, as all cooking is electric. I shall have to starve...
I see that all the Royal Parks will be closed tomorrow! ( Hope the two greenhouses stay intact)

Mommawolf Sat 08-Feb-20 16:44:16

Still calm here in Norfolk but cold now. The range is going full belt and woodpile stacked. Decided that all the sheep should be inside along with smiler the goat. Alpacas in bed. DH and son number one have at the last min decided that the hens should go into the small barn incase the wind is as bad as forecast and tips the hen house. Sons 2 and 3 are checking the ditches are clear. I have a huge cottage pie on the go for hungry workers and treats for two shattered boarder collies who have worked themselves to exhaustion all day. Keep safe everyone.

Juliet27 Sat 08-Feb-20 16:49:03

Mommawolf I feel guilty that all I need to do is move the canary cage away from the window!