Gransnet forums

Chat

Valentine's cards for children?

(34 Posts)
Septimia Mon 10-Feb-20 15:32:26

Years ago I got Valentine cards from my (female, and not gay) Japanese penfriend. Cultural difference, I suppose.

Oopsminty Mon 10-Feb-20 13:17:12

My father always sent us Valentine's cards

I'm almost 60 now so not a new thing

Just a sweet thing to do

He carried on until his death at 88

FearlessSwiftie Mon 10-Feb-20 13:15:26

Actually lots of people send the cards to their friends or relatives. Like in school me and my classmates made the cards for each other (and these cards were the only we got, haha). This is a commercial day nowadays and it is okay to give little gifts or cards to practically everyone, no matter if the person is your significant one or not.

JuliaM Sat 08-Feb-20 12:06:42

My young Grandaughters junior school actively encourage the sending of Valentines cards by providing a post box for them, and use the event to design and post a card themselves , or bring in a shop bought one. They can address them to whoever they like, but a fair few upper juniors do send them to a class mate they like, and sometimes even enclose a small gift.

NanaandGrampy Sat 08-Feb-20 12:03:21

I have always sent a card to my daughters since they were children and now I send to the grandchildren too . So going on 40 years .

Its always signed from 'a secret admirer' ( although they obviously know its me as I make my own cards) and they love them.

Its just a little fun and I personally see no harm in it- each to their own I guess.

Calendargirl Sat 08-Feb-20 11:48:30

‘the cat’ MissAdventure ?

Oh, that gave me a laugh! Of course, some twerps will be buying them for their ‘fur babies’. Those with more money than sense.

tanith Sat 08-Feb-20 11:21:01

I have a friend who even sends them to her GC but she is an American?

MissAdventure Sat 08-Feb-20 11:16:03

I saw cards to and from 'the cat'.
I think they'll do ones from the breadbin if they think people will buy.
Its all about the money.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 08-Feb-20 11:07:33

Am I missing something? I thought Valentine's cards were for 'lovers' or admirers to send to someone you think of in that way? Before this opens a deluge of people decrying them anyway, we were married on Valentine's Day, and it is therefore special to us as both our anniversary and a day for people who love each other in a non-parental way.
Anyway what I'm rambling my way round to, is I was choosing an Anniversary and a Valentine's card for my husband (he may be Victor Meldrew in many respects but we still like to be romantic with each other). In amongst all the Valentine's cards for partners etc, there were cards saying 'to my son (or daughter) on Valentine's Day. What on earth?????