Gransnet forums

Chat

Valentine's cards for children?

(35 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 08-Feb-20 11:07:33

Am I missing something? I thought Valentine's cards were for 'lovers' or admirers to send to someone you think of in that way? Before this opens a deluge of people decrying them anyway, we were married on Valentine's Day, and it is therefore special to us as both our anniversary and a day for people who love each other in a non-parental way.
Anyway what I'm rambling my way round to, is I was choosing an Anniversary and a Valentine's card for my husband (he may be Victor Meldrew in many respects but we still like to be romantic with each other). In amongst all the Valentine's cards for partners etc, there were cards saying 'to my son (or daughter) on Valentine's Day. What on earth?????

NotAGran55 Sat 15-Feb-20 06:39:09

This is one of those Marmite things !
I think it is a very odd thing to do , but each to their own .

If my dad or in-laws had ever sent one to my children I would have put a stop to it .

jenpax Sat 15-Feb-20 06:26:52

My DGS aged 9 made a lovely card for me and one for his mum and I treasure this! I gave him a tin of love hearts. Both my other daughters give my DGD Valentine cards and small gifts. My own parents sent me a “secret admirer” valentines card. I think it’s a lovely gesture and give and receive in that spirit.

BradfordLass73 Sat 15-Feb-20 04:53:49

"'to my son (or daughter) on Valentine's Day. What on earth?????"

I send one to my son every year. He was born on 14th February 1979.

Grandma2213 Sat 15-Feb-20 02:00:56

I used to send an anonymous card to each son just in case one of them got one and the others didn't! I stopped when they realised it was me.
Cards are bad enough in schools but my 8 and 10 year old daughters have come home with a gift bag full of presents as well as cards from several boys and girls. Some of them are quite expensive and contain messages which I consider to be inappropriate and over the top for their ages eg 'When we are together I feel better. Stay with me forever so I will feel safer. If I could describe love in one word I would call it you.' This particular boy has been sending cards, gifts and letters regularly for a couple of years. His mum thinks it's cute but I worry that it is a bit obsessive in one so young! Am I over reacting?

endlessstrife Fri 14-Feb-20 14:56:15

I know, it’s mad isn’t it? I think card manufacturers are desperate to make money in an “ online “ fuelled world.

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Feb-20 14:13:13

Valentine cards to the cat? How sad.

(I did get a hug from my DH this morning!)

Jabberwok Fri 14-Feb-20 14:01:53

I had a lovely bunch of carnations this morning from DH! I certainly haven't sent or received anything from any one else, nor would I expect to!! Valentine's day is for lovers not children or Grannies!!

Grandma70s Tue 11-Feb-20 10:17:27

The idea of compulsory romantic gestures on a set day seems ludicrous. It’s always been ignored in my family (my parents and me/my husband) until recently, when I believe one son gives his wife a present. Perhaps she expected it, so he has to! I suspect that’s the power of advertising.

I agree with those who find the idea of encouraging it in school is shocking. Poor children.

henetha Tue 11-Feb-20 10:06:08

My ex-husband always said "It's just lining the manufacturers
pockets". He never sent me a card of any sort whatsoever in 32 years of marriage.
But surely Valentine cards should just be for lovers, partners, spouses.

cangran Tue 11-Feb-20 09:53:19

I don't know if it's still a thing but when I was growing up in Canada, we bought very cheap books of valentine cards to cut out, fold and give to all our classmates. It seemed a sweet and inexpensive thing to do and everyone got lots of 'cards'.

Calendargirl Tue 11-Feb-20 07:06:59

I agree with SueDonim about schools encouraging children with the sending of Valentine cards. Totally wrong. All the pretty, popular girls and good looking popular boys will be inundated, whilst the plain and not very popular ones will miss out, unless the teachers send sympathy ones to those poor kids. A great way to give them issues about something pointless.

Harris27 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:04:47

I’m amazed at some of these replies but have enjoyed reading them. I do send dh a card we always have done well he is the love of my life!

Chewbacca Mon 10-Feb-20 21:16:49

I send one to my DS, DDIL and the GC grin They all know it's me and every year they all feign surprise and and wonder "who on earth could this be from?"
It worries me not one jot that someone else thinks we're mad. It makes us smile, so that's enough.

May7 Mon 10-Feb-20 20:55:59

I always sent my children valentines cards until they got partners of their own . I now send them to my GC. Just spreads a little happiness that's all. I also send one to my DH and he to me

Missfoodlove Mon 10-Feb-20 19:25:36

Our son has his birthday on Valentine’s Day, he hates the fact it’s always so expensive to dine out on the day and hard to book the best places.
On the positive side he is thankful I didn’t name him Valentine!!

M0nica Mon 10-Feb-20 19:01:01

We never take any notice of Valentines day. We got married on 17th February so restrict our card sending to that.

It as the advantage that flowers are cheaper and restaurants not overcrowded so we can eat out in peace.

SueDonim Mon 10-Feb-20 18:49:20

I think the idea of schools encouraging children to send Valentines cards to classmates is shocking. Imagine being the only child in the class who doesn’t receive a card from anyone. sad

For some reason which I can no longer fathom, confused I started sending my dds cards when they were young. I’m still doing it even though they’re both grown up and one is married with a baby! Apparently, I’m not allowed to stop sending them cards because it’s my duty as a mother. grin

TrendyNannie6 Mon 10-Feb-20 18:09:03

Totally agree vegansrock and rosenoir

rosenoir Mon 10-Feb-20 17:59:52

I find it odd to send them to anyone but an adult love interest.

vegansrock Mon 10-Feb-20 17:10:04

It’s just a way for card makers to increase sales. I think it’s weird to send them to children as it’s supposed to be for lovers but whatever floats your boat.

maddyone Mon 10-Feb-20 17:06:53

MissAdventure, to the cat grin
From the cat gringrin

Greymar, to a speck of dust! I’m speechless gringringrin

TrendyNannie6 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:41:21

I agree with you growingolddisgracefully. Me and my husband always send each other valentines cards, I’ve never sent them to my AC they would find it really weird!! I might love them dearly but no way, valentines is about romance isn’t it, and certainly wouldn’t send my fur babies valentines cards lol

Greymar Mon 10-Feb-20 16:36:30

I saw one to a speck of dust the other day? What next?

curvygran950 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:35:05

I have just seen online (moonpig) a valentine card depicting an ultrasound scan photo of an unborn child ... to be sent to the mother/to-be I assume .....from the baby -to-be?

Billybob4491 Mon 10-Feb-20 16:25:48

I always send Valentine cards to my grandchildren and niece, because I love them, and I am not an American.