Gransnet forums

Chat

Am I odd because I don't much enjoy holidays?

(107 Posts)
Framilode Sat 08-Feb-20 18:02:31

Is there anyone else like me? I go on holiday because my husband loves travelling but I always feel a little stressed the whole time I am away. What I really like is being at home in my own space. We have been to some wonderful countries but, left to myself, I wouldn't go on holiday.

Floradora9 Sat 08-Feb-20 21:01:49

I love holidays DH would never bother if I did not do all the planning and booking. I feel as the years roll by far too fast I have to make the most of the ones we take though we are tending to go back to hotels and places we like. Four trips abroad a year I really like and a few little UK breaks as well .

craftyone Sat 08-Feb-20 21:10:28

I thought it was just me, I don`t like holidays. I love my home and my garden and my surroundings and my bed, I have no wish to go away especially as I live in a beautiful county with so much within driving distance. Best of all I love my own company, am comfortable in my own skin and there are plenty of groups should I want to join anything

tidyskatemum Sat 08-Feb-20 21:11:57

I'm with you Floradora9. I love everything about holidays - I enjoy the planning as much as the actual holiday. I do the organising and tell DH where he's going otherwise we'd be stuck in our home rut forever.

dragonfly46 Sat 08-Feb-20 21:18:22

I am with you kitty. We have just spent money in our home because we spend the most time there and we love it.

ExD1938 Sat 08-Feb-20 21:19:49

No, anniezzz09 he was a bit apprehensive at first, I'm not sure whether it was at his own ability to manage on his own (being a very old school type who was raised to never lift a finger in the home.) As was I, some of the younger grans here will hardly believe that we were actually had lessons at school on How to Keep your Husband Happy (no not that waysmile
He now feels it does us good to have some short time away and I agree.
As to my health, well I am becoming increasingly frail and fear this year may be my last holiday, but my married daughter has offered to come with me and (carry my bags as she puts it) so I'm looking forward to what may be my last one.

If you DO like holidays please don't feel you must stay at home just because other people may disapprove.

But I can still appreciate how many other people prefer to stay at home

sodapop Sat 08-Feb-20 21:48:57

I enjoy the actual holiday but really hate all the hustle and stress at airports. We are going to holiday more locally now, lots of France we haven't seen. We are a bit stuck at present as our two older dogs are not well enough to go into kennels now.

SueDonim Sat 08-Feb-20 22:08:09

I used to hate going on holiday as I’d get so very homesick but over the years, I’m better at going away. Having said which, we went to Australia for over three weeks last year and for the last four or five days, I couldn’t wait to get back to my own home and have beans on toast and a decent cup of tea. I was done with seeing and doing new things and just wanted my home comforts. smile

bluebirdwsm Sat 08-Feb-20 22:26:26

I've done all the travelling I want to. I do not enjoy airports or driving long distances, all the fuss of booking, paying deposits, paying upfront for somewhere I have never even seen.

I would be ok with the odd weekend away in this country, arranged at the last minute. Any longer and I count the days down until I can go home.

I love where I live, my home and garden, my bed, and know where is good to eat and where to go. I can nip inside my house for a break from the sun/rain and have everything I need at hand. I don't like doing nothing or going out for the sake of it so if I'm at home I can do something constructive/work when I feel like it.

I love to go out for the day, treat myself and since retiring feel that every day is a holiday anyway. I like my life, and am happy in my own company.

harrigran Sat 08-Feb-20 22:49:34

I prefer to be at home rather than travelling. We have not been abroad for five years.
I have family abroad but they visit frequently so I do not see the need to go to them.
I do not mind the odd night or two away but it has to be real luxury to drag me away from everything I have at home.

Hetty58 Sun 09-Feb-20 00:49:51

I really enjoyed holidays when I was young. I then got to the stage of tolerating them for the sake of my family.

Now the 'kids' are adults, I feel absolutely no need to go. I've always been badly travel sick and it used to mean 'losing' the first day, ill in bed with a migraine!

If I could just teleport instantly I might just try again!

janipat Sun 09-Feb-20 01:00:57

We go to Canada every year to see son , dil and gc. Then holiday with other son dil and gc in UK. I wish there was time to travel apart from these, I'd love to visit more places in the world. As it is a weekend or two away in UK is all we manage, because of family caring commitments. The house is falling down around us but I can't face renovations so I'd much prefer the experience of travel.

fatgran57 Sun 09-Feb-20 01:27:01

We used to go overseas (from Australia) every year for over 10 years in a row. Hoped when I retired we could go a few more times but it's been 5 years since we travelled.

The last few years we couldn't leave our dear little cat who was too old to leave in the cattery.

Now we are a bit crippled up and wouldn't be able to do all the walking we used to do but I would love to go back to London, Paris, Venice etc.

Last year my husband said completely out of the blue "do you want to go to London for your birthday?"

As the little cat was still alive I said no, sadly she died soon after but the offer was now off the table sad

We used to always be away for my birthday for those 10 years.

It's a very long journey from here to Europe, up to 35 hours, so very tiring. Also travel insurance is more expensive the older you are.

OH used to do all the planning booking etc, as soon as we returned from one trip we would start thinking of another.

Often the planning is more exciting than the actual trip!

V3ra Sun 09-Feb-20 02:28:03

SirChenjin we always took one of my daughter's friends with us on holiday from when she was 13 and didn't want to hang out with her younger brothers.
When only our younger son was still coming with us, we took one of his friends too.
Much better than having a bored, sulky teenager to try and entertain!

Gummie Sun 09-Feb-20 07:22:55

I’ve had lots of lovely holidays and been to so many places, but these days I’m content to relax here in the UK. I live on the coast in a lovely part of the country so don’t see the point in schleping around airports and spending large sums of money somewhere else.
I don’t really have a holiday buddy anymore either as I’ve been single for more than a decade now. My lovely daughter who I always holidayed with has found herself a husband as her new holiday buddy. I tried singles holidays but found I didn’t enjoy them.

Liz46 Sun 09-Feb-20 07:32:23

I have damaged lungs which don't like English winters so we holiday in the winter. We spent three weeks in India over Christmas and New Year. The hotel was close to the beach and a tiny village so very little pollution. My lungs were great and we were spoiled rotten by the lovely staff.

Travel insurance is expensive for me though.

craftergran Sun 09-Feb-20 08:22:35

I am not a huge fan of going on holiday either. I enjoy it when I get there but another one if left to me we'd not go further than a day trip or one or two overnight in UK.

I don't find the food great. I will try local dishes and I'm not complaining about "foreign food" it's just rarely remarkable. eg I had one really nice pasta dish in Rome and another pasta dish which was just poor cooking. I had a chicken dish in southern Spain which was so badly over cooked I couldnt eat it, I didnt want to make a fuss so told the waiter I wasn't very hungry but they knocked the cost off the bill anyway as it was obvious I had hardly touched it.

Maybe we've just been unlucky with eating out, but yeah, lucky if we get one meal which is really really nice, the rest is mediocre to average.

So that kind of puts me off too.

janeainsworth Sun 09-Feb-20 08:33:25

I love being at home but like short breaks too. I’d like a week in the sun sitting by a pool swimming & reading but MrA always has to be doing something interesting and/or slightly strenuous. ?
Monica you will love the QM2!

BlueSapphire Sun 09-Feb-20 08:52:37

I've always loved holidays, love the planning, love the whole airport thing and flying, and am still the same even though I am now on my own.
I did a river cruise and an ocean cruise last year; this year it will be a week in the Italian Lakes in April (my birthday present to myself!), and a cruise in July exploring the western coast of France and the north coast of Spain.
I look back to the first ten years of so of our marriage when the only holidays we could afford were staying with family, or camping, so now make the most of every minute away. I look up at the aeroplanes flying over the back garden and think 'I'll be up there in so many weeks!', and just can't wait.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:03:09

We used to go abroad once a year and have travelled as far as New Zealand and Hawaii. However, I used to dread getting packed, worried about leaving the house, getting to airport etc etc. I enjoyed the holidays once we were there and am glad we had those experiences. However, for the last ten years we have holidayed in the UK. Cornwall and the Lake District for the first few years and in recent years Dorset. The latter suits us as the journey is easier and we are happy with our reasonable priced accommodation at aPremier Inn. We really enjoy our walks, local transport and food. What I don’t miss is the extra stress of flights that cause my legs to swell up and stay painfully swollen for a couple of weeks no matter what I do to prevent this and airports etc.travel insurance enquiries about health. We enjoy days out, to London on a regular basis to see exhibitions etc. A train tour of Scotland a couple of years ago. However, we have relatives who love to keep travelling and I know they think we are odd but dh loves gardening and I enjoy painting so are content with our more limited travels.

Sunlover Sun 09-Feb-20 10:05:54

I love holidays. Spend up to 10 weeks a year away. Often return to places we know and love. My husband still works so a few of these weeks are holidaying with my friend. We have been going on ‘girlie’ holidays together for 25 years. Can’t wait for my first holiday of 2020 in a couple of weeks.

Pollyanna2 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:21:01

How great it is to find others same as me who don't like 'holidays'!! The whole palava of them I can do without! My husband can't understand it - but I tell him my best holidays are in my head!

Caro57 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:24:51

My big bro won’t go away for longer than a fortnight!

Harris27 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:32:28

I thought I was the odd one. Don’t mind holidays but don’t get really excited about going away I love being at home and my usual routine. Also as we are getting nearer retirement I’m trying to save for that and are still on a tight budget.maybe then I’ll get more into the Holliday mood but quite happy to stay at home.

GoldenAge Sun 09-Feb-20 10:33:24

Lots of people find the whole holiday thing totally unnerving because the change of routine, and the change in the control dynamic take away any enjoyment. However, there's usually something to be gained from making the effort, even if only it's the pleasure of knowing that your partner is happy you're there and doing things together. The important thing is to recognise what you find stressful about going on holiday and try to reduce it - if you do actually have to go.

Xrgran Sun 09-Feb-20 10:33:51

Not holdiday but I need to go to Italy twice a year and because of environmental concerns I don’t fly! Hence the feeling of dread that comes with a long train journey with DH across Europe. All the trains need to be on time to avoid disaster and last year we missed our Eurostar it was so stressful once on the next Eurostar I had to buy and drink 2 of those expensive small bottles of wine.