Gransnet forums

Chat

Beyond belief

(81 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 10-Feb-20 22:24:54

Many of you will know that I have just lost my husband and at the same time I am, for various reasons, selling my home and moving just a few miles down the road to where we formerly lived and where my husband is to be buried - and where all my friends are.

Buyers visited on Friday and Saturday, loved it, made a good offer. Now here is the unbelievable bit - while they were outside measuring the gateway (they have a vintage car) a man drew up in a car and told them not to buy the house and proceeded to regale them with lies about structural problems etc. I do not know who this man is and his statements are untrue.

I was gobsmacked!

I have talked with various people locally and it seems that when we bought the property 4 years ago a sale had just fallen through to a man who drastically reduced his offer at the 11th hour - the vendor told him to get on his bike, put the property straight back on the market and we bought it. I am told that this man was very angry that he got the push.

So I have to conclude that this is the man - and also that he is local. It feels really creepy to me, especially now that I am here on my own, that there is someone so unhinged and evil targeting my attempt to sell the property.

The estate agent is furious, and it looks as though the only way I can retain these buyers is by paying for a survey myself; understandably they do not want to expend money on a survey when they have already been led to believe that it might be unsatisfactory.

My finances are in bits at the moment: I have a final bill from the nursing home to pay (around £4k) ; my OH's pension has been frozen while they work out what I might get; his state pension has stopped; I have a funeral to pay for.......I am at a total loss as to what to do.

I am trying not to get angry about it as it will get me nowhere - but I truly did not need this bizarre twist of fate..

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 08:12:40

Luckygirl, I'm glad to hear that you won't be messed about. You're being very sensible. Stay strong.

I'm hopping mad with whoever is trying to take advantage at such a traumatic time.

It's just not worth tracking down or confronting the mystery chap as you have quite enough to deal with atm.

Iam64 Wed 12-Feb-20 08:03:27

What a terrible thing to do, horrible for you. Can't add to the advice here, yes, solicitor and police x

Txquiltz Wed 12-Feb-20 07:07:42

You might try a bit of subterfuge. Arrange a "look alike" scenario, preferably on a weekend. Have friends put on a performance of measuring, etc. as if they are perspective buyers. Don't use familiar neighbors,etc. If Mr. Evil shows up again, assign someone to get his license plate number, and if possible, follow from a distance to see where he lives. Then notify your local police and a solicitor about tortous interference.

Eloethan Tue 11-Feb-20 23:55:57

This man has surely made statements that were intended to - and which could - affect your financial standing. In the event that he could be identified, I wonder if it would be possible to get a solicitor to send him a letter warning him that you will consider suing for damages if he continues to make false statements. You could then show the letter to any prospective purchasers, should a similar incident occur. It may not be legally possible or advisable but it might be worth speaking to a solicitor about it.

I also agree that disclosing the survey report you obtained when you bought the house might be useful, provided it was a full structural report.

AllotmentLil Tue 11-Feb-20 22:27:44

I agree with Callistemon. I’m so sorry you’re having all this worry on top of everything else. flowers

Curlywhirly Tue 11-Feb-20 22:27:35

Your buyers sound unscrupulous - they just happened to be outside when a disgruntled previous would-be-buyer passes and 'spills the beans' about your house suffering from subsidence! No way, this has been a set up. Definitely do not offer to have a survey done. Let the buyers pay for their own.

MawB Tue 11-Feb-20 22:21:31

I’m with Callistemon - do not give in to any suggestion to lay out money yourself.
However, selling rarely goes smoothly, I just hope you feel strong enough to stand up for yourself at such a difficult time.
Are your DDs and SILs in a position to back you up, be with you for viewings and so on?
Sadly people (some) can patronise is or take advantage when they know we are vulnerable and occasionally having another person as “backup” can he helpful.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 22:11:56

Probably best to follow normal procedures; the prospective buyers will probably arrange for a survey anyway and pay for it themselves.

Luckygirl Tue 11-Feb-20 22:09:47

It is a small independent estate agent.

If I tell him to just tell the buyers that I have accepted their offer, then if they like it enough they will get on and have their own survey. I just have to accept that this may lose me a buyer, but I cannot be messed around like this - I have enough on my plate.

I do not believe the coincidence either.

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 22:05:35

I'd be ignoring it completely and having no unnecessary survey done. Accept the offer and the ball is in their court.
The bank will release funds for the funeral. The care home will have to wait for their money. If you feel unsafe in your home, a chat with the local police will help.

You say that 'This estate agent is trying to hold off the builder from selling to someone else.' Have you spoken to the builder directly? Don't ever trust anybody but let the builder know when you've accepted an offer.

Riggie Tue 11-Feb-20 21:47:19

What qualifications does the Estate Agent have that would make him expert on whether the bedroom needs underpinning?
Have you seen any tell tale signs?

Id be finding my own independent surveyor

notanan2 Tue 11-Feb-20 21:25:29

I wouldnt agree to have him round to "have a look" if your heckles are up.

An EA we turned down after valuatiom actively told people not to buy our house whilst still bombarding us with calls asking if we would reconsider selling through them!

Do not give them any amunition

notanan2 Tue 11-Feb-20 21:23:46

I agree with others. See if there are any independant EAs about. The chains dont make their money on sales they make it on pushing the extras and financial/legal packages

Missfoodlove Tue 11-Feb-20 19:44:12

I assume if a bedroom needs underpinning then the property is a bungalow.
I think I’m right in saying underpinning or piling is for the whole footprint of the property not just one section.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 19:23:12

Yes, rather suspicious

Buffybee Tue 11-Feb-20 19:20:02

I don't believe the buyers.
They went out to measure a gate. Really?
And at that very moment, someone drives by and tells them that there's a problem with your house. Rubbish!
I think the buyers are either trying to get a large reduction in the price or get you to pay for a survey.
I smell a rat!

MawB Tue 11-Feb-20 19:02:36

I will see what he says; but my inclination is to tell him to tell the potential buyers that I accept their offer and if they want to proceed they must get their own survey
So you haven’t lost them altogether?
It is absolutely normal for the purchaser to have the survey done -not the vendor , go with that. If they then try to reduce their offer based on a bona fide survey, then it is up to you to choose to negotiate or not.
If there is subsidence you may be able to claim on your buildings insurance anyway but at the moment this is all Chinese whispers.
Incidentally I would not recommend you go along with all the cloak and dagger/photographing their number plate/ conspiracy theory stuff.
Your agent needs you to sell so that you can purchase the next property. It should be as simple as that.
Do not spend more money at present!
Leave it at that.

Callistemon Tue 11-Feb-20 19:02:26

Some estate agents are just that and not surveyors as well.

In the old days they were estate agents and surveyors but I doubt that there are many of the old school left.

I remember being told that people were queuing up to buy the new build we wanted - no, they were not and we did decide on another one anyway.

Sbhrt21 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:57:23

Sounds odd that this guy knew the exact moment somebody was viewing - is it possible this is a set up by the prospective buyers to get you to pay for the survey? I’d ignore them - if they want it they’ll pay. And there’ll be more buyers.

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:51:58

National estate agent chain firms are motivated by their targets and the need to sell mortgages, conveyancing, surveys etc. I'm very suspicious of the suggestion that you need to get a survey - that's for the buyers to do!

Hetty58 Tue 11-Feb-20 18:39:23

Yes they are Luckygirl!

Luckygirl Tue 11-Feb-20 18:30:36

If I give it 6 months the house that I want to buy would be gone - people are queuing up for them. This estate agent is trying to hold off the builder from selling to someone else.

I contacted the estate again today and said that I found the whole business just too much of a coincidence and was not at all happy with the situation. He wants to come round on Thursday morning and take a look at the bedroom that has been reported by this crazy guy as needing underpinning. If he thinks there is a good reason to get someone in to just look at that bit then he will suggest I do that.

I will see what he says; but my inclination is to tell him to tell the potential buyers that I accept their offer and if they want to proceed they must get their own survey.

A bit of me fears that I am a recently bereaved woman on my own and somebody somewhere is taking the piss.

janeainsworth Tue 11-Feb-20 17:15:55

Wise words, Missfoodlove.
I think the last thing you need Lucky is any more stress, which would certainly happen, if you were to track this person down and try to tackle him. Even if he’s only acting out of malice, without any criminal intent, he’s very likely to respond aggressively to being questioned about his motives.

I’m afraid that not all estate agents are as ethical as they might be, and they don’t have to be registered any regulatory body.
It’s perhaps unfortunate that the agent you’re using is the one who’s selling the property you want to move to. Perhaps if you intimate to him that you think there’s shady business going on in an attempt to reduce the price, it will focus his mind into acting in your interests instead of someone else’s.

Although a prospective buyer will probably want their own survey doing, the only way you’ll know whether this man’s claims have any basis in fact is to pay for a survey yourself.
If it turns out that there are problems, you’ll be in a better position to argue when it comes to lowering the asking price, rather than feeling you have to take the word of the buyer’s surveyor.

Bear in mind that depending on the age of the house, a surveyor can always find something wrong, and if they’re acting for a buyer they will paint a worse picture than if the survey has been commissioned by the seller.

Are you really sure you want to sell just now? What would be the worst that could happen if you gave it six months?

cupaffull Tue 11-Feb-20 17:14:15

My first thought is that it could be a ruse by your prospective buyers...to save them paying for a comprehensive survey iro £800.....or to drive down the price of your home.

Believe to or not there are scammers scanning the obituary columns for vulnerable sellers. Plz take care.flowers

Destin Tue 11-Feb-20 17:04:00

Such a shame you didn’t insist on a surveyors report from the previous owners when you purchased your home - it may have seemed an unnecessary request at the time, but you have to look at it like an insurance policy. Still, you didn’t get one when you bought, so you can’t cry over spilt milk!

You say your estate agent has not only got the listing to sell your current house but is also the agent for the new home that you want to buy and is currently being built.

My recommendation would be to shop around to get a written estimate for having the survey done immediately - then call your estate agent as soon as you have that in your hand and ask him to split the cost with you - 50 - 50 (because he will be making double commission if you are selling AND buying through him).

This is not an unreasonable request but a wise business move on your part. If he refuses, then investigate getting another estate agent and list your home at the recommended price plus the cost of the survey.

You will need to prove whoever buys your house that it is sound and in good order. As I said, a surveyors report is like only in the bank to you in your current situation.