Gransnet forums

Chat

Beyond belief

(80 Posts)
Ginny42 Mon 10-Feb-20 22:47:46

What a mean and vindictive thing to do! Was he trespassing? I too would be very shocked if someone treated me like that. There are some b*****ds in this world and he's one of them. Nothing to do with him.

Would it be worth having a chat with the local PSO if there is one and just alerting them to the incident? He may be well known.

Elegran Mon 10-Feb-20 22:44:37

I second the advice to dig out that 4-year-old survey and show it to the possible buyers - and also tell them why you think that man was trying to put them off. Maybe he hopes to buy it from you at a vastly reduced price once he has scared them off? Refer them to neighbours, too. They will back up what you tell them. Don't just cave in. He doesn't deserve to win.

If you can identify him positively, a solicitor's letter might be possible, though you do need to be very sure you get the right man.

phoenix Mon 10-Feb-20 22:38:31

Oh Luckygirl as the saying goes, you need this like a hole in the head!

I wish I could offer some useful advice, but sending you good wishes and strength.

xx

Missfoodlove Mon 10-Feb-20 22:31:58

Why not dig out the survey you had done four years ago and show it to the prospective buyers? This should put their minds at rest.

Luckygirl Mon 10-Feb-20 22:24:54

Many of you will know that I have just lost my husband and at the same time I am, for various reasons, selling my home and moving just a few miles down the road to where we formerly lived and where my husband is to be buried - and where all my friends are.

Buyers visited on Friday and Saturday, loved it, made a good offer. Now here is the unbelievable bit - while they were outside measuring the gateway (they have a vintage car) a man drew up in a car and told them not to buy the house and proceeded to regale them with lies about structural problems etc. I do not know who this man is and his statements are untrue.

I was gobsmacked!

I have talked with various people locally and it seems that when we bought the property 4 years ago a sale had just fallen through to a man who drastically reduced his offer at the 11th hour - the vendor told him to get on his bike, put the property straight back on the market and we bought it. I am told that this man was very angry that he got the push.

So I have to conclude that this is the man - and also that he is local. It feels really creepy to me, especially now that I am here on my own, that there is someone so unhinged and evil targeting my attempt to sell the property.

The estate agent is furious, and it looks as though the only way I can retain these buyers is by paying for a survey myself; understandably they do not want to expend money on a survey when they have already been led to believe that it might be unsatisfactory.

My finances are in bits at the moment: I have a final bill from the nursing home to pay (around £4k) ; my OH's pension has been frozen while they work out what I might get; his state pension has stopped; I have a funeral to pay for.......I am at a total loss as to what to do.

I am trying not to get angry about it as it will get me nowhere - but I truly did not need this bizarre twist of fate..