Gransnet forums

Chat

If you’ve gone through feeling unmotivated, lonely, depressed, sad...

(114 Posts)
gmarie Wed 12-Feb-20 08:22:53

...and come out the other side, what worked to get you engaged and moving again?

I’ve experienced things similar to what most older people have - a career, divorce, raising kids and then empty nest, retirement, loss of loved ones, pets, etc., and I just feel lost and stuck.

I enjoyed my teaching and supervising jobs but am very glad to have retired and don’t regret it. When I was raising my kids, I started mom’s groups, took writing and dance classes, did hospice work, volunteered in sons’ classrooms, etc., and remember thinking that I’d found the “secret” to happiness to use later when I got older and retired. But now I’m so unmotivated and it seems like my efforts are empty without loved ones around.

I have a lot of good friends from over the years but none locally. I’ve gone to several things - Meetups, a Unitarian church service, a couple of political meetings, swing dance - but nothing seemed to click. I notice that I feel happy and energized when my “kids” and their SOs are going to come over for something but that isn’t very frequent and I’m quite aware that I can’t live vicariously through them. I’m hoping I can get some of my stamina and enthusiasm back.

I’m familiar with many of the recommendations out there - getting good sleep and eating well; exercising; meditating; connecting with others by volunteering, taking a class, joining a group; going out in the sunshine and nature; practicing gratefulness; “just do(ing) it”, etc. - so I’m not asking for advice or a critique. I just want to know what, if anything, worked for you.

Anything on that list? Something else? Thanks! flowers

BlueSky Sat 22-Feb-20 08:56:59

Hi all. Rufus we have had it up to here in water (literally) and wind and it seems to be the same for the foreseeable future! Is not surprising we are all feeling low, the weather doesn't help at the moment. Can't wait for spring! I agree coffee and a glass of wine are good for you, I've always said that and now it has been proved.
Bikergran yes at a certain time in our lives we have more on our plates that we can cope with, worry is multiplied, what with children, grandchildren, maybe elderly parents, then our partners and not forgetting ourselves. Is it any wonder we then feel overwhelmed?
Anyway have a 'nice' weekend! cafewine

bikergran Sat 22-Feb-20 10:03:47

Cheers , the sun is shining here in North Lancashire (may even hang my washing out) hope the weather is kind to you all.

Bluesky very true flowers

Jane10 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:18:08

Catching up late with this thread. Well what an interesting insight into our lives and activities (or lack of them). I currently have a bit of routine with classes 3 times a week in the mornings but feel a tremendous slob just reading or watching TV in the afternoons and evenings. DH comes home and asks about what I've been doing and I have to change the subject!
I know I'm in a bit of a hiatus just now and I'm shortly to start a project which will consume time and energy so I'm giving myself permission to make the most of my lazy afternoons. If only I could shake off the inbuilt feeling of guilt at being idle instilled early by parents.

Rufus2 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:54:59

Catching up late with this thread
Jane And I've been waiting to catch up with you! smile
You'll soon be "coming down" on the train; still excited? envy
You probably "got" the bereavement notice about Wilfred He seemed to be an odd character and his articles seemed odder, but although he acted like he was a tramp he was able to name-drop as though he was high society.
I thought of emailing a card to "The Oldie" as I believe we have a few subscribers on GN, but on reflection, maybe not.
Any thoughts?
I'm sure London's weather will be kinder than yours!
As for Melb. what can I say? Perfect! Sorry about that! hmm
OoRoo

IrishGrannyAnne Sat 22-Feb-20 11:08:43

Bikergran, I did spring into action yesterday because of this site. Thanks all. Miserable weather, alone but enjoyed it. It's nice to have people to talk to here. I had coffee in a busy coffee shop Rufus2, I don't work in one but I'll head out again today for one to protect my liver. My sister lives in NZ and was 60 last week, she got to celebrate for 36 hours between both hemispheres.

Jane10 Sat 22-Feb-20 11:21:03

Rufus2 I'm still looking forward to our forthcoming trip to the big Smoke. I think it's important to have things to look forward to and save up for. I do like to have set 'markers' in the year.
Yes I saw Wilfrid's death on Twitter.
Should we start an 'Oldie' thread do you think? For info the Oldie is a magazine, a sort of cross between Private Eye and Punch. It's full of interesting articles and events. The reason I'm off to London next month is for one of their lunches with speakers. Unfortunately Rufus2 is too busy to join me!

quizqueen Sat 22-Feb-20 12:36:06

One of my main passions is quizzing. I'm a member of a weekly pub quiz team and also go to charity ones throughout the year. I've been on the tv a few times on quiz shows. I use to be heavily involved in politics but, hopefully, no need for that any longer.

In the summer, I spend hours weeding and planting in the garden; if the weather is nice, right up until it gets dark. I also read lots, go swimming since having a knee replacement, do crosswords and puzzles and take loads of online surveys, which pay enough in vouchers to cover all my present giving needs. If I got very lonely I'd get a dog, but I still work p/t and see family loads.

Rufus2 Sat 22-Feb-20 13:35:08

Unfortunately Rufus2 is too busy to join me!
Jane You're too kind! Unfortunately he's been too busy flat on his back in hospital with BPPV. He was hoping for some benefactor to sponsor his airfare, but knowing the reputation of Scots that was always going to be a forlorn one! grin
Anyway, Nature intervened and let everyone off the hook! sad I'm quite sure it's not literally the Big Smoke" these days! During WW2 and beyond when smokey paraffin burners were set off to "hide" targets from German bombers, yes it was! Slough, where we lived was seemingly forever under a black cloud because of its industrial estate. Stagger home from the pictures, blow your nose and one jet black hanky! Happy Days! sad
Sorry Jane! I've wandered way off topic as usual; getting more like Del Boy's Grandad every day! hmm
I'll get the menu off you tomorrow and meanwhile consider your Wilfred's comments1
It's now 12.30pm, Sunday and time for my prayers!
Slainte

bikergran Sat 22-Feb-20 17:51:30

IrishGrannyAnne that is lovely to hear that you have been inspired smile keep it up smile

Rufus2 Sun 23-Feb-20 07:20:16

Yes I saw Wilfrid's death on Twitter
Jane; don't do Twitter; His bereavement notice came directly from "The Oldie".
Definitely start a thread! I'll fight you to be Chairperson, but firstly it would interesting to know who are existing subscribers, or simply how many. Once the thread begins to develop, I'm sure more will join.
Who knows! ? We might be able to negotiate a subscription discount! As it happens, my renewal notice has just arrived and I'm going for the FREE Calendar. grin
OoRoo

loopyloo Sun 23-Feb-20 10:45:40

Dear Bikergran,
Please wave your magic wand my way! I should go to the allotment to tidy up my greenhouse that has been flattened by the wind. Some broken glass but not much. And mostly underwater. It was an old one I was rebuilding. The reason we have kept the site is because it's on a flood plain.
It's nothing in comparison to the people whose homes are flooded.
The Oldie sounds good. Another publication I might order is the Idler.

gmarie Tue 25-Feb-20 08:20:13

I always feel better when I come across posts on here that make me feel not quite so alone in my thoughts and feelings. grant1, you're so right that the "empty nest" isn't such an easy adjustment for everyone.

I don't feel depressed (except about losing Dad this year) as much as just alone and unmotivated. For years after my divorce, I loved and cared for my sons, mom, grandmother, dad. Like you, IrshGrannyAnne, I drove hours every weekend (to parents) or flew across the country (to grandma) while working full time and raising kids. I miss them all, now, of course. Maybe I'm just tired! Ha!

I need to "reboot", somehow but, bikergran, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned all of the "shoulds" and ask what happens when we can't be bothered. It feels like a gargantuan task at present.

I do love chocolate and good book, etheltbags1! smile

Hugs to you all flowers

bikergran Tue 25-Feb-20 09:42:07

Waving "Magic Wand" frantically ....my arms aching now, can someone take over smile

plus its hard typing/cup of tea making and Wand Waving at the same time smile