Gransnet forums

Chat

Who do you think of as charismatic ?

(206 Posts)
Gemini17892 Wed 12-Feb-20 23:30:06

The other day we were thinking about what makes a person charismatic. We could think of several men - some of whom I don’t like although I can still accept that they have charisma . But when it came to women I was stuck.
Who do you think is charismatic ? Can you think of a woman who fits this description ?

MissAdventure Wed 12-Feb-20 23:34:59

Debbie Harry, maybe?
Diana Dorrs?
Sinead O'Connor?

I'm sure some of the stars from the 40s, 50s and 60s may have been more charismatic.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Feb-20 23:36:58

Kate Bush smile

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 12-Feb-20 23:57:44

Kate Bush - yes MissAdventure

Audrey Hepburn
Grace Kelly
Juliette Binoche
Annie Lenox

Gemini17892 Thu 13-Feb-20 00:32:11

They are glamorous certainly and have sex appeal yes but charismatic ? I’m not sure. I was thinking how Bill Clinton gives full eye contact and makes people think he is hanging on their every word. How about Ruth Davidson ?

Gemini17892 Thu 13-Feb-20 00:40:46

I just thought when MissA mentioned stars of the 60s .... Marilyn Munroe ?

Here is one definition I found

Charisma dictionary definition
charisma definition:
The definition of charisma is a special and rare charm held by someone that makes others want to follow or obey them.

In that case Audrey Hepburn fits because she was a style icon .

PageTurner Thu 13-Feb-20 03:39:12

Man - Freddie Mercury
Woman - Princess Diana

rosecarmel Thu 13-Feb-20 03:55:40

Oprah Winfrey

Ellen DeGeneres

Elizabeth Warren

Brene Brown

Rachel Maddow

Gloria Steinem

Dolly Parton

Laverne Cox

Megan Rapinoe

The problem with charisma is that as its definition evolved through the lens of men its been considered a masculine trait even though it's origin is feminine-

Male politicians that exhibit today's definition of "charisma" are actually both full of themselves and full of shit-

Exhibit A: Donald Trump

Exhibit B: Barack Obama

Exhibit C: Pete Buttigieg

None of which are gifted with grace-

SueH49 Thu 13-Feb-20 04:49:24

Judy Dench

BBbevan Thu 13-Feb-20 05:02:04

I was just about to post the same SueH49

BradfordLass73 Thu 13-Feb-20 05:07:29

Charis was a handmaid to Aphrodite but I don't believe the the modern interpretation of charisma has anything to do with being famous or beautiful (although a charismatic woman can be both).

It is an undefinable something which draws you to the personality of the woman.
For those woemn long-dead we can only go by the way people wrote about them.

Harriet Tubman
Mother Teresa
Jacinda Ardern (I've met her so at least in this case I know she's a very charismatic woman)
Marilyn Monroe
Rosa Parks
Emmeline Pankhurst
Mary Secole
Malala Yousafzai
Queen Elizabeth the First

Gemini17892 Thu 13-Feb-20 07:37:21

Some interesting names there , BL . I’m going to read up. Didn’t know about Charis. Love the name though. Is it linked to the Welsh Caris ?
It’s the ‘ indefinable’ quality that fascinates me. Of course princess Diana. I think she had it.

Gemini17892 Thu 13-Feb-20 07:38:37

Ellen Degeneres too .

dragonfly46 Thu 13-Feb-20 07:40:26

I think you can only really judge charisma face to face. My DS has it!

Nortsat46 Thu 13-Feb-20 07:51:58

My personal list of charismatic women:
Mo Molem MP
Sandi Toksvig
Helena Kennedy (Lawyer)
Baroness Hale (and her brooches)
Hilary Clinton
Annie Lennox
Dawn French
Judi Dench
Meryl Streep
Ella Fitzgerald
Shirley Bassey
Lady Doreen Lawrence (mother of Stephen)
Gareth Pierce (Lawyer)
Prof Alice Roberts
Dr Maggie Aderin Pocock (Sky at Night).

I know others will disagree ...

Ginny42 Thu 13-Feb-20 08:02:07

My DD too dragonfly. I am quite unmoved by many listed above, so I think it's a very personal emotion. In fact I can't watch people like Ellen DeGeneres and Freddy Mercury, so they have the opposite effect on me.

eazybee Thu 13-Feb-20 08:08:58

Jezebel
Cleopatra
Elizabeth 1
Emmeline Pankhurst
Mother Theresa
Margaret Thatcher
Aung San Suu Kyi
Diana, Princess of Wales

Definitely some in there with feet of clay, but there is a definite quality which makes people follow them despite their character flaws.
The most obvious example is Hitler who apparently had a great deal of personal charm.

Humbertbear Thu 13-Feb-20 08:16:27

My brother in law is charismatic. He is short, plump and not good looking but you would sit and listen to him talk for hours. His students worship him and he has never been short of female admirers.
There is an obituary in The Times this morning for Bruce Wannell. He was definitely charismatic! Look him up.

Framilode Thu 13-Feb-20 08:16:41

Helena Kennedy appears charismatic on tele, I agree, but I met her in real life and she was lovely, friendly and funny but not charismatic. She was telling me funny stories about my brother. Apparently they used to go out together years ago when they were both law students.

I would go for Barrack Obama and Bill Clinton. Female, Helen Mirren.

Sparklefizz Thu 13-Feb-20 09:43:56

Gosh, not many people listed above that I find the teeniest tiniest bit charismatic except for Princess Diana.

I did have a wonderfully charismatic boyfriend years ago ... but there were definite disadvantages to that!

Calendargirl Thu 13-Feb-20 09:53:56

I imagine on the male side Rhett Butler would have had oodles of charisma!
Honestly cannot think of any woman who comes to mind. Will post if I think of someone.
Disagree with many names on here, just goes to show how different we all are.

QuaintIrene Thu 13-Feb-20 09:56:58

I once met Michael Hestletine.
Wow. He just radiated charisma. Gorgeous Savile Row suit as well. Swoony ?
Pamela Rabe, a Canadian but now Australian actress has charisma to me.
Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan ? I think so.

MissAdventure Thu 13-Feb-20 10:01:38

My sister (not at all a royalist) met princess Diana, and said that she was horsey looking although she wasn't actually beautiful, she radiated an aura that made you want to get close to her.

paddyanne Thu 13-Feb-20 10:05:56

Hve you met Ruth Davidson? Gemini she has the charisma of a dead fish !
I obviously think charisma is different to most as a lot of these people mentioned may be good looking and talented but not charismatic .
I believe charisma draws you in almost as if under a spell, the only female politician I've met to do that is Winnie Ewing and even now she is elderly its wrapped around her like an aura .She was our Madam Ecosse in the EU and much loved and admired .Actresses can turn it on at will so where many thought MM for instance was charismatic two years ago they've changed their minds recently

Harris27 Thu 13-Feb-20 10:08:00

Joanna lumley