Gransnet forums

Chat

Conspiracy theories

(80 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 14-Feb-20 12:53:32

I absolutely love a good conspiracy theory. The more bizarre the better. My favourite atm is that ancient aliens were so technologically advanced compared to early man that they were mistaken for gods and the reason that we can't find the missing link is that it was created in an alien laboratory when they spliced hominid genes with their own.

I'm also keen on the JFK shooter on the grassy knoll, astronauts saw aliens and their bases on the Moon and that we actually don't exist other than as part of an alien simulator computer programme.

I don't believe any of them but they're fun and tbh just as reasonable in some ways as what we've been told is the 'truth'

Do you have a favourite conspiracy theory?

Granny23 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:23:21

Sorry to be cryptic, but if you know the truth behind or have evidence to back up a so called conspiracy theory, especially one involving the special forces of the British state, you will be strongly advised to keep it to yourself, for the sake of your own and your families safety.

MissAdventure Sat 15-Feb-20 11:41:24

Its been told to me that the elite are pushing through an agenda regarding gender, simply because they are gradually stripping everything away from us.

Taking away our male/female identification is the ultimate, as it is at the root of everything . Families, sexuality, carrying on our species, and our sense of who we are.

When this is undermined, chaos ensues, mentally.

The elite enjoy playing games with our psyches, and many of them are themselves transgender. (Michelle Obama is a man)

GrumpyGran8 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:53:58

Not all conspiracy theories are fun. Alex Jones quite rightly got sued over spreading the Sandy Hook and accusing the bereaved parents of being 'crisis actors' who had no children and were pretending to grieve. His followers bombarded the parents with hate messages, came to their houses, and even vandalised memorials to the children.
Then there was 2016's "Pizzagate" conspiracy theory, which claimed that a Washington DC pizza restaurant was the centre of a satanic peadophile ring, who abused and murdered children in the basement. The restaurant's owners, workers, the bands who played there, and even nearby restaurants and businesses were all targeted for harrassment by the 'true believers'. Eventually one of them walked into the restaurant with a rifle, fired shots into the furniture and demanded to be taken to the (non-existent) basement; luckily police quickly disarmed him before he could hurt anybody.
And, a year or two later, the UK had its own Pizzagate, where Hampstead parents were accused of being child-murdering Satanists.

Personally, I'm not sure that any conspiracy theories could be described as harmless. People who believe in the 'fun' ones, such as alien cover-ups, are much more likely to believe in the ones that aren't at all fun.

Tergly Sat 15-Feb-20 12:28:26

I think they stopped them in 1972 because of the cost.

Tergly Sat 15-Feb-20 12:29:38

The moon landings I meant to say!

Ninjanana2 Sat 15-Feb-20 12:35:32

My 13 year old granddaughter has some interesting theories, mostly garned from You Tube. I do think they have a lot to answer for. I don't mind the aliens, creation, big brother etc but I do object to changing history. Still I suppose that's what young people are for....to question and challenge.

Maxblank Sat 15-Feb-20 12:42:17

I'm sort of on the moon conspiracy.

In 1986, I made a call from Paris to a large town in England, it was hard work full of crackles and huge delays. Yet 20 years earlier, bass was speaking to men on the moon via a Walkie talkie (obvs a very powerful one) with hardly any delays, and no crackles... Hmm

Who was filming buzz, take a giant leap for mankind? TR his buzz wasn't the first!

The shoe prints

The biggest for me, is the landing craft. Where did it come from? How did they get inside it? If it used over 3/4 of fuel landing, how did it take off? How did they meet up with the cone and get inside again, and to then come back to earth?

To me, none.of that seemed to be possible at that time.

Plus bearing in mind they did a second trip, and then took a suv! HOW?

Maxblank Sat 15-Feb-20 12:43:11

TR his ..... Thus buzz wasn't the first.

henetha Sat 15-Feb-20 12:46:22

I've got no time for conspiracy theories, think they are all rubbish.
But, I can't help thinking there might be a few aliens lurking around somewhere.

SueDonim Sat 15-Feb-20 12:51:05

I’ve read a theory that people who believe conspiracy theories are of low intellect. grin

icanhandthemback Sat 15-Feb-20 13:36:42

If you've ever been on the Justice For Madeleine Facebook group you will see all sorts of conspiracy theories. What ever you think about the parents, a lot of the discussion is abusive and I don't know how they get away with it. Most conspiracy theories hurt someone somewhere.

Taichinan Sat 15-Feb-20 13:58:52

I don't pay much attention to conspiracy theories, but I absolutely loved the book 'Chariots of the Gods' by Erich von Daniken way back in the 70s. It made so much sense to me! I mentioned it to a Padre in the RAF and he was NOT impressed!

Elegran Sat 15-Feb-20 14:13:43

Maxblank All of your questions were answered at the time. You couldn't open a newspaper or magazine without finding an article on how the various bits of equipment were made, how they folded up for transport, how the communications worked and so on. The science and knowledge behind it covered many different disciplines, but ity was all explained and vouched for.

For me the biggest proof that it was true was that you never, ever, see a confession by someone who was involved in this vast undertaking that they colluded or helped in establishing a fiction. It could not have been faked without a lot of people knowing and taking part in the deception - one of them would have seen a chance to spill the beans and make stacks of money from the media.

Elegran Sat 15-Feb-20 14:15:10

If you have ever stepped in a deep pile of fine dust, you will have seen how the sides fall in and make the footprint bigger!

Saggi Sat 15-Feb-20 14:15:54

And the biggest story of them all.... that a god created the cosmos in 6 days .... and rested in the seventh!! Look how long that ones been running!!

Chestnut Sat 15-Feb-20 14:27:18

Saggi - you don't take this literally surely ?
The question is 'what is a day to God?'
Certainly not 24 hours.
It could be a billion years.
It's a metaphorical representation of time.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 14:29:43

Your first theory sounds perfectly feasible to me vq and would explain many ancient legends and beliefs.

It's also claimed that those with RhNeg blood are descended from aliens - or gods. So yes, we are living amongst you grin

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 14:32:48

BradfordLass what your deacon said about aliens and God was very funny - was it intentional?
Or did he not realise what he was saying?

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 14:36:05

Most of the rest I would dismiss.

However, we do know now that the moon is not made of green cheese. Nor is there a huge giant living there, always facing us.

LuckyFour Sat 15-Feb-20 14:42:06

No time for conspiracy theories. I've enough trouble keeping up with the real world let alone making things up.

I do believe man went to the moon but I agree it's puzzling that they haven't done again since.

Granless Sat 15-Feb-20 14:51:26

I certainly do, Diana.

sodapop Sat 15-Feb-20 14:53:02

Never heard the theory about RH neg blood before Callistemon and I don't know about my birth family - should I be worried smile

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 14:56:15

Have you got hairy feet sodapop? If so, be very very worried indeed.
You could be a Hobbit, like me.

Yes, the RhNeg blood theory has been doing the rounds.

suziewoozie Sat 15-Feb-20 15:13:05

Grumpy and Ican agree absolutely. Real grieving people are damaged, hurt, almost destroyed by conspiracy theories. The Sandy Hook ones were heartbreaking, utterly heartbreaking. Imagine if that had happened over Dunblane. And even the ones that ‘sound’ like ‘harmless fun’ can negatively impact susceptible people.

Chestnut Sat 15-Feb-20 15:15:56

I am AB RhNeg which is the rarest. I always knew there was something different about me! ?‍? ? ? I always fancied Mr Spock so maybe I am Vulcan.?