Gransnet forums

Chat

Conspiracy theories

(80 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 14-Feb-20 12:53:32

I absolutely love a good conspiracy theory. The more bizarre the better. My favourite atm is that ancient aliens were so technologically advanced compared to early man that they were mistaken for gods and the reason that we can't find the missing link is that it was created in an alien laboratory when they spliced hominid genes with their own.

I'm also keen on the JFK shooter on the grassy knoll, astronauts saw aliens and their bases on the Moon and that we actually don't exist other than as part of an alien simulator computer programme.

I don't believe any of them but they're fun and tbh just as reasonable in some ways as what we've been told is the 'truth'

Do you have a favourite conspiracy theory?

HootyMcOwlface Sun 16-Feb-20 11:53:26

You’ve all forgotten the Paul McCartney one, where he died in a car crash and has been replaced by a lookalike. (Yeah, as if!)

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 12:05:51

Who can't sing!

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 12:09:04

I did mention myths and legends, Eglantine and in fact the Bible stories you mention corroborate those legends of the ancient Greeks, Romans etc
Interesting.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio!

Elegran Sun 16-Feb-20 12:21:27

Stories travelled in Biblical days too - they were a bit slower than the internet, but people have always loved to sit around listening to tales of wondrous happenings.

A traveller from far away, stopping for the night in a wayside dwelling, would "pay" for his meal and bed by recounting the strange things he had encountered. Some of those encounters were true, but embellished for the ocasion, some were ones he had heard other travellers tell - which had themselves been edited and improved in the repeating.

A good story would spread faster than a boring one (just as on the internet) so no wonder legends in many areas have great similarity.