Gransnet forums

Chat

Gas cooker or electric which do you prefer

(127 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 22:42:48

We have gas hob, electric oven. Don’t think would ever want to go back to all electric

JackyB Sat 22-Feb-20 07:08:16

I've never cooked with gas, have never lived anywhere where it was available. Even at school we had electric ovens down one side of the room and gas down the other, and I was on the electric side.

I like that you can get really low temperatures with electricity and e. g. start off a casserole in a Pyrex dish on the hob then put it in the oven.

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 07:49:32

Had a gas hob and electric oven in our first house, but the hob was an immense pain to clean and when we redid the kitchen I went for a ceramic hob. Would never go back to gas. I now have an induction hob which is brilliant, so responsive and just a wipe over with a damp cloth to clean.

Sara65 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:09:38

Just had oil burning Aga taken out, to soon be replaced with an all electric range cooker with induction hob.

Really, really hope we aren’t making a massively expensive mistake !

Iam64 Sat 22-Feb-20 08:43:11

Gas hob, electric oven - in the new kitchen, in the previous one it was gas hob and oven. The kitchen fitter and various friends were right, the electric ovens are good.
I think we're all in for a shock, if we live long enough - gas is to be banned ....

Maggiemaybe Sat 22-Feb-20 09:01:07

This thread has been a revelation. Gas hobs are difficult to clean? I’ve always had one and apart from a quick scootch over with a damp cloth, only cleaned it when something’s boiled over (which is also a pain when it’s happened on my daughter’s electric rings). What am I missing?

Marydoll Sat 22-Feb-20 09:06:38

Mine is really easy to clean too, Maggiemaybe.

TwiceAsNice Sat 22-Feb-20 09:14:35

I have an electric fan oven and an induction job which I love, so much better than gas. Hugely responsive and wipes clean in 30 seconds. Would never go back to gas

dragonfly46 Sat 22-Feb-20 09:15:05

Induction hob and fan/conventional oven every time.
Until you have had one it is impossible to see how easy it is to clean. My oven cleans itself also which is an added bonus.

Auntieflo Sat 22-Feb-20 09:17:08

I have a Neff gas hob, and a Stoves gas double oven, built in at eye level. Installed in 2015.
The original hob and oven were both Stoves, and I wanted a change from a white enamel hob, to stainless steel, but wish I hadn't.
Although the hob is easy to clean, it has scratched.
I have never had an electric oven.

Witzend Sat 22-Feb-20 09:24:39

I like my gas hob/electric oven, but also like dd’s induction hob - so quick to heat up/cool down and just wipe over. And no knobs for wee ones to fiddle with.

Only disadvantage I found was that I couldn’t put the roasting tin on it to make gravy at Christmas - the only time I’ve cooked a roast at her house.
I dare say you can get a roasting tin that goes with induction, though.

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Feb-20 09:53:56

Ideally, induction hob and an Aga

Froglady Sat 22-Feb-20 09:57:44

Electric every time. When I got married my husband, for some strange reason, had got a gas cooker but I soon got it changed to an electric one; I just feel that I have more control. But I would always have a gas fire and gas central heating.

Harris27 Sat 22-Feb-20 09:57:57

I’ve got electric I’ve. And gas hob. I would love to have a new gas cooker prefer gas to electric maybe I’m old fashioned.

NotSpaghetti Sat 22-Feb-20 09:58:10

Would never go back to a gas hob OR oven - I have a self-cleaning electric oven now (no Aga). But it's great anyway.

Purplepoppies Sat 22-Feb-20 10:04:22

As a cake baker I much prefer a gas oven. Sadly I don't have a choice in my rental flat. It's an electric oven (not self cleaning unfortunately) and electric plates separately. Not enough control for me really.

CrazyGrandma2 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:08:04

Electric ovens and gas hob. Seriously contemplating changing to one of the modern electric hobs as so much easier to keep clean!

hicaz46 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:11:06

I too love my induction hob and fan oven. Wouldn’t change either for anything else. The induction has a great range of heat from very gentle simmer to boil and so easy to keep clean.

holiday13 Sat 22-Feb-20 10:13:40

Definitely a gas hob for immediate heat.....ideally gas oven too, but electric oven is a good option too

b1zzle Sat 22-Feb-20 10:17:44

As someone who has always had a gas hob even in rented flats, I'm about to move to an 'electric only' flat and am worried as I can only think that electric hobs take some getting used to.

Quizzer Sat 22-Feb-20 10:17:46

I have always been an advocate of the gas hob. However when we had a new kitchen fitted the designer persuaded me to go and watch a demo of an induction hob. I was very impressed and had one fitted in my new kitchen. It is the best decision I have ever made. It is as controllable as gas, instant heat and no burnt on food. I would recommend it to anyone except those with pacemakers - apparently they don't mix.

grannytotwins Sat 22-Feb-20 10:18:25

Induction hob and electric fan oven. When I moved house there was a gas hob and I was so unused to it that I burnt myself. Induction hind are so easy to clean and more sensitive than gas.

HurdyGurdy Sat 22-Feb-20 10:21:06

I had a combination cooker with gas hob and two electric ovens, and the main oven broke. I wanted to get the element changed, but husband decided it would be better to get a new cooker. I entrusted him to go and get a replacement cooker - thinking he'd replace like-for-like.

Our old cooker was just plugged into a normal socket, but apparently now, they have to be wired in differently.

Husband decided this was too much hassle, so came home with an all gas cooker

I absolutely HATE it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Gas hob, electric oven all the way in future for me. And husband doesn't get to have an opinion!

sandelf Sat 22-Feb-20 10:25:20

Induction - never going back. Quick, safe, clean.

sandelf Sat 22-Feb-20 10:29:28

Induction - no possibility of fumes. The minimum use of power as it is only on when the pan is over the power area and is instant on instant off. Green wise it depends on your source of electric power (we have some green scheme with Bulb) - gas is definitely not 'green'.

Carolpaint Sat 22-Feb-20 10:32:12

The future is induction hob and electric oven. Although have a gas hob which I love and a pyrolytic self cleaning oven the plan will be no gas hobs, along with gas boilers. Use an induction hob at partners home. Not as good?
How climate prepared are you? Have an electric car, solar panels, pv panels, use block soap, the car parking at home is drain away pebbles. We all need to take action for doing something for climate change. Even bamboo interdental cleaners.