Gransnet forums

Chat

The Oldie

(48 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 23-Feb-20 07:45:07

Apart from Rufus2 and myself, are there any other 'Oldie' readers on GN? This isn't a negative term for the older reader, by the way, but a monthly magazine. It always has interesting articles and features as well as reviews and terrific cartoons.
I'm not on commission. My Granny always said, 'I'd you know a good thing pass it on.'
Over to you Rufus2!

Jane10 Mon 02-Mar-20 12:49:18

I do not wish to know that. Kindly leave the stage!

Rufus2 Mon 02-Mar-20 12:35:22

I almost wish I could catch the damn virus
Jane Now that's being silly! The Brits have survived many threats; even the Windmill Theatre" didn't close during the war, so don't pay attention to the worryguts! The media might have something else to panic everyone by dinner-time!grin
I forgot to mention; when taking your seat at the dining table and someone asks 'Comfy", don't say "Govan" "Edinburgh" might be OK being upmarket from Glasgie, but sticking to replying "Yes thanks" might be safer! grin
OoRoo

Jane10 Mon 02-Mar-20 12:11:01

Rufus2 I was really looking forward to it but now, thanks to all this corona virus worry I'm not even sure if we'll be going at all. I'm certainly up for risking it but possibilities are being raised of restricting public transport or even closing cities. That could be extreme but, equally, it might be necessary. The uncertainty is horrible. I almost wish I could catch the damn virus and be done with it either way!
If we go we'll just dress comfortably. DH doesn't have a kilt but does have lovely trousers in his family tartan. They're only for real dress occasions like weddings or royal garden parties.

Rufus2 Mon 02-Mar-20 10:29:34

Jane; The countdown is on; only 3 weeks to go! Excited?
Any GN s going with you? I'd love to, but the taxi fare from Heathrow would bankrupt me, not to mention the airfare!hmm
Have you sorted your ensemble yet? Formal. semi-formal or casual? Will DH have kilt and sporran on display? Probably not as it's likely to be a late Winter1 sad
Will be thinking of you! envy
OoRoo

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 26-Feb-20 14:16:30

£3 for next three issues is the offer.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 26-Feb-20 14:14:45

Thank you Rufus.

Never heard of The Oldie. Just ordered next 3 issues for £3 + free book of the cartoons. smile

Framilode What! [shock} The previous owners obviously don't check their bank statements regularly. I think you've got your own back after 2 years worth of subscriptions

Jane10 Wed 26-Feb-20 13:55:09

When I subscribed the first 3 months was at the £3 cost plus I was sent the cartoon special. No choice of issues.

Squiffy Wed 26-Feb-20 12:07:07

Rufus, I think the £3.00 offer is random. That's probably why it's so cheap - they can get rid of their leftovers! winkgrin

Rufus2 Wed 26-Feb-20 11:46:05

. I even like the adverts
Who wouldn't! ? grin The "big Bloomers" . ad. p107 nearly poked out my eyes when I opened the page.
And what's the "Carpe Diem" ad. all about?

I've just ordered the 3 issues for £3!smile
Spangles
Haven't caught up with that yet, but is there a list to pick from? What did you select?
OoRoo

Jane10 Wed 26-Feb-20 09:07:44

I have to wait until I have a decent length of time free to read it as, once I get started, it's hard to put down. I even like the adverts as they're often for products or services I've not seen elsewhere.

Ailsa43 Wed 26-Feb-20 01:21:46

I've had a subscription for the Oldie magazine for many years now, it's the only magazine over the years that I've never tired of... however I'm very sad at Wildred D'eath's passing not totally unexpected I suppose but somehow it seemed despite everything he would go on forever,may he Rest in the peace he sought in life.... ...still there's so much to read in it, I actively look forward to it every month

Spangles1963 Tue 25-Feb-20 23:40:22

I've just ordered the 3 issues for £3!smile

NotTooOld Tue 25-Feb-20 21:11:30

It's a great mag. My lovely DH bought me a subscription when I was poorly once and I've renewed it ever since.

Jane10 Tue 25-Feb-20 20:00:50

That would be Wilfred D'Ath who sadly died recently. There's lots of other interesting writers. It's funny to read Giles and Mary of Gogglebox fame each writing their own very different articles. Giles Brandreth isusually good too.

Spangles1963 Tue 25-Feb-20 19:04:54

My late Dmum had a subscription for this magazine and she passed them on to me when she'd finished with them (even though I didn't class myself as an 'oldie' at the time,in my mid 40s!). I thought it was great,I particularly liked John Sweeney's column,and the cartoons, especially 'FattyPuffs' and the one with the rebellious old man,which I can't remember the name of.

shandi6570 Tue 25-Feb-20 17:11:05

Squiffy, that was the option I went for, too good to resist, but judging from the recommendations I will carry on with the subscription. I hope so anyway.

Rufus2 Tue 25-Feb-20 12:02:32

I blame Rufus, not you! wink
OK Squiffy I'll take the blame for whatever's gone wrong ! hmm I've had only a brief look,. but will go back to it tomorrow during liver- therapy, although DD from OZ banks can be tricky. Thanks for "Heads Up" as we moderns say" grin Now I have to go and plug some holes in another dyke!
OoRoo

Rufus2 Tue 25-Feb-20 11:42:22

Over to you Rufus2!
Why? What have I done now!? I've added my contribution; we're too few in numbers at the moment to enter negotiations, but it wouldn't do any harm to alert The Oldie HQ to a captive market at GN and maybe, just maybe, they'll shower us with copies of their excellent Jokes Book you know, the bladder oops! glass half full optimistic approach! grin
I'll email them if you like, although Jane will be face-to -face with them shortly and I'm sure her pretty face will achieve more than a dull email! grin
Back to you Jane 10

Whilst I'm here, I still think the article by Mathew Norman on the problems of ladies with credit cards in the slow supermarket queue was so funny. Some GN ladies were in a real tizz over that.
Cartoon-wise; the portly gent in astrakhan overcoat, and clutching a fat cigar whilst standing by a Rolls outside the "Midsomer Undertakers!" Priceless! grin
OoRoo

Squiffy Tue 25-Feb-20 11:19:12

Jane - I blame Rufus, not you! wink He mentioned it a while back, but as usual, I procrastinated!

Squiffy Tue 25-Feb-20 11:17:56

There's an offer for 3 magazines for £3.00 with free delivery, which you can sign up for as a taster. You need to set up a DD, but obviously can cancel that if you're not happy to continue at the normal rate.

Link below:

www.magazine.co.uk/checkout/cart/

Jane10 Tue 25-Feb-20 10:53:42

Gosh I hope you all enjoy it after all that!!

Squiffy Tue 25-Feb-20 10:32:14

I like to think of Real Books as comfort blankets with words.

I've finally succumbed and have just signed up for the Oldie - the paper version!

Jane10 Tue 25-Feb-20 09:16:38

I read books on my kindle but find that I prefer an actual magazine or newspaper to an e-version. Something about the size I think.

Littleannie Tue 25-Feb-20 08:57:00

Rufus 2
You download e-magazines to your computer or tablet and read them in the comfort of your home. Nothing to do with disturbing the tranquility of the library. Many libraries now offer a large choice.

Jane10 Mon 24-Feb-20 17:44:25

I'll discuss that possibility when I'm down at the Oldie lunch next month grin
Anyone can go. Any London Grans fancy it?