Gransnet forums

Chat

Are we allowed to change our minds ?

(56 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 25-Feb-20 15:09:04

I don't know if I have changed THAT much. I think my basic core belief system is very similar to what it was when I was younger.

I didn't ever really want marriage or babies. I loved reading (teach English now). A child of the sixties, I was very idealistic and still am.

I think the attitudes I had as a child have just become more entrenched really. I wasn't racist as a child and now I challenge racism. I also remember worrying about the state of the world and how HARD adult life was, as a child, and I still feel those things.

I LOVE new perspectives on things, as long as they're positive. I actively chase change.

Doodledog Tue 25-Feb-20 14:51:48

Yes, I think we can change our minds - if we didn't it would mean we never matured, and getting older would be all doom and gloom grin.

Part of getting older is learning to see things in a more rounded way, and understanding that there are fewer blacks and whites than we maybe thought when we were young.

I don't understand people who cling to the past, saying things like 'that's just the way I was brought up'. Times change, and we can change with them.

annep1 Tue 25-Feb-20 14:42:20

As you get older and wiser its inevitable. I would hate to be held accountable for some things I did or said when young thoughtless and immature.

Gemini17892 Tue 25-Feb-20 14:39:28

Yes. We lived and acted more or less within our own restricted worlds. The internet has forced me to challenge my opinions and also told me about things I’d have preferred not to know about. I find the older I get the less I know. Much of what I thought was obvious has evolved through science eg ‘Man has baby. ‘

Yehbutnobut Tue 25-Feb-20 14:00:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gemini17892 Tue 25-Feb-20 13:36:27

Not sure of the exact quote but was it Maya Angelou who said ‘ When I knew better , I did better. ‘ ?
Some of my beliefs and opinions have changed over the years and I think this is what ought to happen throughout life.
People held opinions that seem outrageous nowadays. Should we be held to account for things we said and did when young and maybe foolish ?