Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC presenters!

(83 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Fri 28-Feb-20 07:33:57

Listening to local radio this morning two presenters were talking about various news items. The first one mentioned that scientists had discovered there had been a "big bang" thousands of light years away from us

2nd presenter: well you know what happened after the first big bang

1st presenter: what?

2nd presenter: it wiped out the dinosaurs!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could say she was joking but based on her previous comments I'm afraid she wasn't.

vickymeldrew Sat 29-Feb-20 13:27:17

Another fan of House of Games. I feel sorry for some of the participants as there is no place to hide on some rounds. The spelling is very revealing and often surprising. I too expected Angela Ribbon to do better, and as for poor Paul Martin, well he couldn’t spell for toffee!
The comedians always do well as they are very quick. I’m sad enough to google their backgrounds and most are Oxbridge grads.

Summerfly Sat 29-Feb-20 13:58:04

APEGIRL. We too have a reporter on our local evening news whose voice grates. He’s so boring and annoying. Despite several complaints he’s still droning on. I turn the sound down and watch the subtitles when he’s on!

dogsmother Sat 29-Feb-20 14:03:59

Another fan of the House of Games here.
It’s the fastest half an hour of telly on and yes embarrassing revealing for some .....Paul Martin comes to mind indeed!

flaxwoven Sat 29-Feb-20 14:08:56

Naga Manchetty……..ugh! Awful!
We like House of Games but Paul Martin has dyslexia and should not have gone on there.

Bagpuss123 Sat 29-Feb-20 14:19:53

Years ago I had some children performing at an opening of a huge new shopping centre. A celebrity presenter was comparing. She was a household name at the time and a very nice person btw. She admitted to me that she was useless at impromptu presenting as she’d become reliant on auto cue. She asked me to help her fill in her intro with relevant details so we went on together and did a bit of a double act! ?

varian Sat 29-Feb-20 14:26:17

We actually have a very good presenter on our local BBC who has been in the job for 35 years and knows the area very well. He does a regional version of Sunday Politics and is good at getting an informative discussion from politicians of different parties.

He does not project his own ego in the way the likes of Andrew Neil, John Humphries and Laura Kuenssberg do. I don't know whether he might ever have been offered a move to London, but if he did, I'm glad he stayed here.

Ohmother Sat 29-Feb-20 14:40:54

I agree with ‘Its who you know’ in presenting. Look at all the offspring that have jobs. They start young; look at Chris Evans’ son and all the Dad and their lad journeys and experiences on TV.

varian Sat 29-Feb-20 14:55:36

The one thing we expect of TV presenters is correct pronunciation. This is not a matter of using a southern English accent (once snootily described as "received pronunciation"), but having a clear understanding of the distortion of meaning caused by incorrect pronunciation.

I once met Angela Rippon and was shocked that when we were discussing the language spoken in the Western Isles she refererred to it as Gaelic (pronounced Gaylick) rather than Gaelic (pronounced Gallick). "Gaylick" is how you pronounce the Irish Gaelic language.

Parklife1 Sat 29-Feb-20 15:20:55

I can’t stand Osman or Armstrong in anything. So unfunny. I find Angela Rippon patronising and hate the way her face looks when someone else is speaking on that show she presents with a couple of others.

I don’t watch Pointless, Osman’s show, the One Show or anything with any of them in it.

hallgreenmiss Sat 29-Feb-20 16:46:23

OP, are you sure they weren’t referring to a delightful little song made up by a three year old girl and recorded by her dad, Tom Rosenthal. It’s called ‘dinosaurs in love’ and plays freely with ‘facts’. Hope the link works but if not you can Google it.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=dinosaurs+in+love&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 16:54:36

I love House Of Games, gives the little grey cells a workout too.
Sometimes feel sorry for a few contestants though!
Richard Osman is a relaxed but not frenetic host, always amusing.

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 16:56:40

Aepgirl....is this Radio Oxford by any chance? They definitely have a presenter like this.

Oopsminty Sat 29-Feb-20 17:01:16

I love the chaps on Pointless.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 17:28:09

I really like Amol Rajan and find him very interesting but I do wish he would not gabble and swallow the ends of some words.

He speaks alternately clearly and slowly then speeds up and gabbles all in the same sentence, making it difficult to follow him without really concentrating.

If you're reading this, Amol, (which I doubt grin) please take note.

Anniebach Sat 29-Feb-20 17:37:57

I like Osman and Armstrong

Grannycool52 Sat 29-Feb-20 18:36:44

I like House of Games & Richard Osman. I, too, have noticed that comedians are generally bright and often television presenters are limited.
We have particularly noticed that people on quiz shows have very little knowledge of British history, often guessing answers that are several centuries out. Does anyone know why this is?

cas58 Sat 29-Feb-20 22:06:41

I have to turn off Radio 2 in the morning. The morning presenter gets too excited, speaks too quickly, gushes too much over her guests. She can be so annoying. I enjoyed last week when she was off and a young man took the reins for the week. I thought he did a great job and kind of wished he could replace her.

Gaunt47 Sat 29-Feb-20 22:28:30

Grannycool52 History doesn't seem to be important in our schools. In my work (tour guide) I have a lot of Europeans as well as Brits to entertain, and I've been rather shocked at how little British history the Brits seem to know - blank looks at the mention of Henry VIII. While a surprising number of Europeans seem to know what I'm talking about. Although a lovely man last year did say to me, "If I'd had a history teacher like you I might have paid more attention". And there you have it, we're just not interested.

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 23:42:57

shock I thought every British person knew about Henry VIII even if they knew no other history.

Gaunt47 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:27:07

callistemon well so did I! Which is why I was shocked. The Civil War is likewise practically unheard of. Hilary Mantell would do us a favour if she could tackle that one next smile

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 10:28:39

I think the people who have never heard of Henry VIII won't be reading Mantel's books!

1066 And All That would be good grin

Gaunt47 Sun 01-Mar-20 10:36:13

callistemon that's interesting, however generally people are aware of the 1066 date for some reason, but are unsure of what happened. But you're right - the Horrible Histories sort of thing?

Callistemon Sun 01-Mar-20 10:40:54

Yes, that would be good!
Compulsory viewing and/or reading?

Even my DGD know about Henry

Gaunt47 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:53:46

Compulsory, absolutely smile !

Oldwoman70 Sun 01-Mar-20 12:04:43

I'm afraid lack of knowledge of British history is not new. Some years ago I was working with some 20 somethings, we were talking about plans for Christmas and I mentioned that it was fortunate Oliver Cromwell's plans to ban the celebration didn't last.

They looked at me blankly and asked who Oliver Cromwell was - I explained he governed for a while following the revolution. Each of them were totally unaware there had been a revolution!