Gransnet forums

Chat

10 years younger in 10 days?

(99 Posts)
b1zzle Fri 28-Feb-20 11:44:51

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry during first episode of Ch.5's new series.

Am I the only one who spent ages afterwards making resolutions about their appearance knowing that I'll never keep them?

Still, it was fun while it lasted...

Marthjolly1 Sat 29-Feb-20 09:47:18

'MOnica' I totally agree with your statement. I am what I am. What difference does a number make. I feel great most of the time, lucky to have no health issues. I do have a lot of wrinkles but I have a life full of such happy memories. Why would I want to burden myself with always comparing myself to how others look or how I think others think I should look. I keep fit, wear good fitting clothes and colours that suit. My hair is like a snow capped hill, and I have all my own teeth. I'm happy.

Moggycuddler Sat 29-Feb-20 09:55:54

I am 63 but people often say to me (and have for years) that they thought I was a lot younger. My daughter is 34 and still gets asked for ID when she buys alcohol. People generally think she is still in her early 20s. Neither of us have ever used make up, just moisturiser. Never smoked either.

paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 09:55:58

I have no intention of looking or acting old anytime soon,I work hard at keeping fitso I can keep up with my GC .I watch my weight and I dress well.Thats no ones business but mine .If anyone wants to call me silly or vain or any other dismissive word they can think up let them.Its no skin off my nose.
I do it for me,I've always had self esteem issues and prefer to make the best of myself.
My added incentive is my daughters illness ,I have to stay well and fit to help her and the children ....for as long as possible .I know there may well be a day when I have to bring the children to live with their GF and me and I'd like to be fit for purpose .

Saggi Sat 29-Feb-20 10:05:51

Never wear/worn makeup ...letting my hair stay silver ....so I suppose I must look older than my 69 years.... and I don’t give a d*

Greciangirl Sat 29-Feb-20 10:06:51

I thought the younger woman in that programme could have done it herself by just having a good haircut, buying some makeup, and new clothes.
The older lady did need some help, ie, new teeth and new just about everything else.
I doubt either of them will keep up appearances. It takes time and effort to look glam every day.

Helennonotion Sat 29-Feb-20 10:09:06

inishowen I too lost a crown recently, fairly near the front. The root had cracked and it wasn't possible to replace the crown. Initially, I had to have a traditional false tooth on a pallet until everything had settled down. Then I had a Maryland bridge fitted. I think being told to 'live with the gap' is quite appalling in this day and age! All on the NHS too. I would look into changing dentists! Good luck!

Rosina Sat 29-Feb-20 10:11:39

The farmer looked simply amazing - she was pretty, and the changes made by non surgical procedures transformed her from tired and worn to stunning. The other lady, who had no confidence and hid behind baggy clothes and a woolly hat, was given so much confidence by her startling improvements - I thought her mother's face was a study when she first saw her.
I hope they do keep up with looking after themselves - both hadn't bothered for different reasons but the confidence and happiness from simply looking their best was good to see.
paddyanne I don't think it is silly or vain to make the most of what you have - to let yourself go shows a lack of pride and if you look after your skin and hair and keep clean and fresh and as fit as you can that is 99% of what should be done - if we choose to wear a little makeup (or a lot!) then good for us. I must confess that I saw Sylvester Stallone's mother and her efforts to stay young have not exactly helped but - she has tried, and at 90+ she hasn't let herself go!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 29-Feb-20 10:12:25

I enjoyed the programme as I enjoyed the one years ago, although that one spends loads on cosmetic dentistry and surgery. This one just gave the farmer a new set of dentures and some Botox in addition to the makeup, clothes and hairdo.
The younger woman was pretty anyway, just needed to smile more. Her hair was fabulous before the makeover.
I think the best thing about it was the confidence it gave both women, so I hope they manage to keep it up.

Bijou Sat 29-Feb-20 10:16:33

People are surprised when they learn my age. 97 in two months time. I do wear a little subtle makeup and dress neatly.

jocork Sat 29-Feb-20 10:19:34

I've generally been thought to be younger than I am but I think much of that was due to being married to someone over 5 years younger and having children fairly late when I was 35 and 37. The combination made people assume I was younger based on my children's age as when they were small most of my friends with children the same age were younger than me. Now I'm 65 I think I look my age but people still express surprise when I say I will be retiring in the summer.
Oh well - off for a shower and dye my hair as I'm out to lunch later. Wonder if anyone will notice!

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 10:20:28

I'm with MOnica. I find the vanity that some women exhibit unattractive. Julie Walters, I like. She said that she felt like a granny in Hollywood among other women her own age. But in the long run, she just looks natural, whereas the nipped and tucked just look - strange.

I'd be dishonest if I said I wouldn't want to look younger, BUT that is societal pressure, only valuing women by their appearance. I've out achieved most of my family and friends, so think I've earned a few wrinkles.

I'm not about to start buying special anti-ageing creams and having 'things' done (dermaplaning, eyelash extensions, false nails etc). I've stuck to my trusty simple moisturiser and wipes. I wear enough make up for work to look less tired and more if I go out (which DOES make me look a lot younger, but I'm not wearing a full face of slap daily).

Age is a process. I felt my age a LOT less heavily in China where they revere the elderly. As a teacher, being old and experienced there was admired, a 尊贵的老师, zūnguì de lǎoshī, venerable teacher. Turns out, I didn't mind getting older. I just disliked the negativity towards it in the west and the implication we 'owe it to ourselves' to try to be young.

Makes no difference what you like on the outside anyway. It's your internal health that counts.

Theoddbird Sat 29-Feb-20 10:23:17

I think it is important to look after ourselves and that includes our face. I also on the cream twice a day and spend time massaging it in. I have a decent hair cut every 7 weeks. I put metallic silver on my grey hair to brighten it. None of these things are expensive to do . We should all take pride in how we look...not just give in. Loosing weight for me now...I need to lose a stone.

Cabbie21 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:42:22

I was surprised and flattered to be taken for my sister’s daughter. She is only 18 months older than me but then she was in hospital and naturally did not look good. I don’t do anything other than get my hair cut and coloured regularly. I have no wish to look 20 years younger and my confidence does not depend on my appearance, more on what I am able to do and think.

Happygirl79 Sat 29-Feb-20 10:55:33

I try to look after myself
I need to lose 1/2 stone but it will come off naturally in the Summer when I am more active. Walking etc
Hair cut and coloured every month
Nice clothes etc
Aldi face creams are great
I am mid sixties but I have an active and inquisitive mind
I like mixing with others but love my own company too
I think being happy is far more important and makes you more attractive than looking young

okimherenow Sat 29-Feb-20 10:56:36

I do think teeth are the important thing in looking better... Not necessarily younger but better..
And on the whole British teeth are improving.
So good luck to the models..
I just wish I'd been sensible when I retired and continued with my dental insurance.. I thought it an unnecessary expense.. And cut back!!! But my NHS dentist is actually excellent..

threexnanny Sat 29-Feb-20 11:02:36

I think some of the people guessing the ages haven't a clue. and the programme relies on that. I'd guessed their ages and was right for both within two years. To me it wasn't that they didn't look their age it was just that they didn't look good.

blondenana Sat 29-Feb-20 11:07:48

I'm with paddyanne on this, i kow people my age whp look a lot older and people are surprised we are the same age,
Looking good gives me confidence, and i think if you are generally happy and have a happy life maybe it helps , but sometimes life wears you down,because of circumstances etc
I will do all i can to keep looking good, because it makes me feel better
I wear makeup everyday, always have,but that started because of the job i had when i left school
I worked in a hairdressers,a high class one with a beauty section and had to wear makeup to fit in
I don't wear a lot, but i now feel naked without it, and even the Drs at the hospital have been surprised when they know my age,only have to have checkups because i have too much iron in my blood
I will keep doing it,
When and if i stop, it will be because i have lost interest in life,and i hope never to
My health is generally good and on no medication at all, so i guess that helps a lot

MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 11:17:40

I didn't realise it was the same programme as the one from years ago. I used to love that.

I must watch it.

icanhandthemback Sat 29-Feb-20 11:19:24

The moment you need a crown, our NHS dentist finds a reason it can't be done. He won't give me a lower set of dentures although I have 3 teeth missing because he is adamant that people don't wear them. Consequently, I have 3 spaces which has affected my top teeth as they don't wear down naturally. I paid to have an implant on the front upper tooth when the 30 year old crown broke and the root canal was fractured. He wouldn't replace it and I couldn't wear a denture as my bite kept breaking it. Now when I smile I look like I have had a stroke because the longer top teeth make my mouth misshapen. I just cannot afford to have the gaps worked on and I feel quite let down by my dentist.

Flygirl Sat 29-Feb-20 11:28:12

When/what day is this programme on?

Aepgirl Sat 29-Feb-20 11:41:43

I’m reasonably happy with the way I look - make sure my hair is cut and styled well and makeup done with whatever time I have available.
As long as I don’t look older than my 75 years, that’s OK by me. However, I suppose there’s always room for improvement!

harrysgran Sat 29-Feb-20 11:57:25

I enjoyed the programme I watched the old show when it was on I do think it's down to hair and dental work they make biggest impact it would be good to revisit the ladies at a later date to see if it's had an impact on their lives long term

Nanna58 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:57:39

Nothing wrong with taking good care of your appearance ( yup, Im one of the dermaplaning , eyelash, nail gals! ) . But equally nothing wrong if you’re not bothered. Each to our own

Jillybird Sat 29-Feb-20 12:07:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 12:21:00

My mum was definitely in the 'vain/upkeep' category. She was very glamorous when she was younger and staved off ageing for a long time. She found it very hard, when it got to the point she could stay 'youthful looking' no longer. I don't think I will suffer as much as her. I've had a much more active life than she did and have different values to her.