Gransnet forums

Chat

Just a silly question

(65 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 29-Feb-20 20:03:36

Do any of you love Bruce Springsteen?

I've just watched him performing on an old music programme, and his fans absolutely adore him.

I've also known people who went to a gig because their partner loves Springsteen, and came out as die hard fans.

Nortsat46 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:03:27

I love ‘the Boss’ and have seen him live.
He works so hard at his live gigs to engage everyone in the audience.

We once had a number of free Boss tickets donated at work. We made them available to the young people we work with & their families, many of whom hadn’t been to a rock gig before/ didn’t have the resources to pay for stadium tickets/ didn’t know who Springsteen is.
They came back buzzing about what a fabulous time they had all had. It was great to offer them the opportunity ???

Henri66 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:03:37

Good morning,
Omg I love the Boss who don’t?
His music & concert are just something else.
I had him on my flights all over Europe inc out of UK ok free tickets for each concert, in the enclosed area each concert was amazing 4 hours got dragged onto the stages. Special recorded delivery of the cd with a note signed by the Boss. For his age well going strong.

Moggycuddler Sun 01-Mar-20 11:03:56

When I was a lot younger, in the 80s, I absolutely loved Bruce. Had everything, posters on the bedroom wall, picture sleeves, bootlegs. Joined fan clubs and the lot. Adored him and fancied him like crazy around the time of Born In The USA and The River. Never got to see him live due to various reasons, but it would have been my dream then. I think my husband was rather jealous of my love for Bruce! That all faded to a dull roar over the years though and I love many other bands and artists now equally well. Still have a soft spot for Bruce though, and I read his autobiography which made me admire him all over again. DH and I have almost all his albums and they still get played quite a lot. His latest, Western Stars, is amazing. I actually think he's got better with age.

kittylester Sun 01-Mar-20 11:13:52

My 6 year old dgd was singing 'I won't do that' so DD said 'That's Ma's favourite song' 'It's mine too' says DGD.

We dont know where she had heard it but decided it was just innate! grin

LuckyFour Sun 01-Mar-20 11:15:32

Bruce never floated by boat.

Phloembundle Sun 01-Mar-20 11:24:05

Yes. Love him and that most poignant of songs---Human Touch. I challenge anyone to listen to the words and not be moved.

Camy Sun 01-Mar-20 11:37:51

Springsteen is the best! His live performances are amazing. We took our two teenage children (under protest) to see him in Cardiff years ago and they were blown away by the performance and the music. My favourite song is ‘If I Should Fall Behind’. It is the most moving song about love/friendship that I know. Guaranteed to make me cry! If you don’t know it, give it a listen and I hope you’ll see what I mean. ?

Sueki44 Sun 01-Mar-20 11:40:37

Springsteen IS the Boss! Love, love his music. His autobiography proved what a thoughtful and sensitive man he is. Wonderful live performer.... although I miss Clarence Clemons, his brilliant saxophonist

Craftycat Sun 01-Mar-20 12:04:34

Yes- saw him live a couple of times at Wembly & he was very good. He was on stage for about 3 hours with no break. Loved Clarence on sax too.
TBH he is not my favourite artist being a fanatic Bowie & Stones fan & seen them so many times but he certainly gives a good concert.
I think saying Meatloaf 'in his prime' was good is true but I also saw him when he really should have given up. It was an embarrassing show & we had to sing the words to his songs as he could not remember them. Sad.
I don't think I want to go to any more concerts now as I would rather remember my idols in their prime. Still love Mick J & my favourite memory is him high up above us on a crane singing Sympathy with the Devil at Wembly. He might need a Stannah to get up there now.

LadyGracie Sun 01-Mar-20 12:23:58

I can’t stand him.

knspol Sun 01-Mar-20 12:56:35

Saw him a couple of times as DH is a fan and was never impressed, thought the crowd shouting 'Bruuuuuce' were actually booing. Later saw him in an open air concert in the US and have been a fan ever since, don't know how I could have been so wrong before.

Camelotclub Sun 01-Mar-20 12:57:52

This is probably heresy but I always felt he was rather overrated.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 13:02:33

I can’t stand meatloaf, Bruce will always be the boss to us

Pudding123 Sun 01-Mar-20 13:03:06

Went to see him about 40 years ago ...he was brilliant!

BladeAnnie Sun 01-Mar-20 13:07:04

Yes definitely a fan. Saw him concert 30+ years ago and he's excellent live. BUT imo no-one beats Bryan Adams - seen him live about 15 times and the man just gets better and better ........

Maxblank Sun 01-Mar-20 13:08:45

I don't.mind either, but (just to throw a spanner in the works) I wished I'd gone to a queen concert.

I like to watch concerts on SKY ART but the fiancée doesnt, so I don't.

I have such an eclectic taste in music, happily listen to Bruce, or Neil young, or madness, or a little ska, pink Floyd or new country music, to hardcore rave/EDM.

Only music I never got into, was reggae or hardcore metal/thrash.

I like some for just one song.

My 2 fave songs has to be .... Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Betty, closely followed by Paint It Black.

Grannycool52 Sun 01-Mar-20 13:08:53

No, he's not my cup of tea. I've never warmed to him.

Saggi Sun 01-Mar-20 14:06:06

The Boss....what’s NOT to like?

Scottiebear Sun 01-Mar-20 14:13:50

Seen him twice in Cardiff. In gold circle both times. Amazing

MerylStreep Sun 01-Mar-20 14:25:54

MissAdventure
Your heading: just a silly question
I don't think it's silly at all compared to 'some' that have been put up lately ?

polnan Sun 01-Mar-20 15:20:50

ah! sweet mystery of love

no..

not loved a celebrity for some time , years now.

Mario Lanza when I was a young teen at school.

nothing like that since.

BeenBizzy Sun 01-Mar-20 15:33:22

A Springsteen recording was played as my husbands funeral procession started to leave the church.
I spent many lonely hours searching for something that could be described as him.
I did not want a pop song, the words said it all.........
If you you have never heard this song it's well worth a listen.

Listed as. "" Terry's song. "". Or. "They broke the mold."

Jo.

SirChenjin Sun 01-Mar-20 15:48:30

No - I’ve never understood the Springsteen love. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing though smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 01-Mar-20 16:13:27

I quite like Springsteen but I don't idolise him. Best concert I ever went to was the Eagles on their Hell Freezes Over tour in 2001 - they sang everything in their back catalogue and more.

rafichagran Sun 01-Mar-20 16:19:54

Not a silly question at all. Lovely thread, people giving opinions in a nice way.
Yes he is the Boss , As I said before. I loved Meatloaf when I was younger and still do.