Gransnet forums

Chat

How old were you when your parents died

(136 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Mar-20 15:18:59

I was 46.when my mum died she passed away first and 12 years later my dad died, I was 58, I was very close to both of them, had a happy childhood,Miss them every day, Although brought up quite strict looking back I am so glad I was,

NannyEm Tue 03-Mar-20 15:29:14

I was 58 when my Mum died and 70 when my Dad died 2 years ago, a couple of months before his 104th birthday. He still thought of me as his little girl to the day he died.

Magrithea Tue 03-Mar-20 16:01:02

I was 41 and living abroad with DH and family when my Dad died so had to make the journey 'home' on my own. fortunately the timing of the call to say he'd had a massive heart attack and died on the spot came in the early evening and I was able to get a flight and be home in my parents' house by 7 a.m. the next day! My Mum is still with us at 95!!

Carrie10 Tue 03-Mar-20 17:06:41

I was 49 when my Mum died and 57 when my Dad died, they were very young when they got married and had me, my mum died aged 66 and Dad was nearly 75, they were 4 months away from their golden wedding anniversary when mum died.

callgirl1 Tue 03-Mar-20 17:26:35

CarrieAnn, you were in a similar position to me then, having lost your father before you were born. MarieEliza asks how I felt over the years, in answer to that, I`ve often wondered how life would have been if he`d lived, as my mother remarried when I was 3, and I never really got on with my stepfather, and ran away to live with my grandma when I was nearly 13. I used to wonder what sort of person my father was, all I have are a few photos, but he was a good looking young fella.

Blencathra Tue 03-Mar-20 19:34:13

28 when my father died but I am 68 now and my mother is still alive.

kwest Tue 03-Mar-20 19:55:03

I was 27 and 28 when my parents died. At 72 I still miss them and feel so lucky to have had them in my life. If I can aspire to be half as a good a person as either of them were then I would be very fortunate. They were kind , loving and caring people. They never judged anyone and their house was open to everyone. Yet they were humble people. A hard act to follow but so very much worth trying to aim for.

Goodasgold12 Tue 03-Mar-20 20:27:25

I was 23yrs old when my Dad had a massive heart attack and passed a way, he was 57 years old.
My Mum never got over it and died 4 years later when she was 57 years old, I was 27.
I miss them every day of my life and my biggest regret is that my children who were babies never got to know them.

Fatarse54 Tue 03-Mar-20 22:56:41

My Mum died at the age of 69yrs sudden heart attack, I was 33yrs old. My Dad died on Valentine's day 2014 6 years ago aged 98, I was 60. Miss them both so much. Sad they never got to meet their eldest grandsons baby boy, they would have adored him as my husband and I do. Hope we meet again one day.

Franbern Wed 04-Mar-20 08:18:21

My Mother was the eldest of ten children. When she was born her parents were told (1904) that she had a 'weak heart' and would be unlikely to survive childhood. Although she did have quite a lot of health problems she died shortly after her 80th Birthday ( I was 43 years old), and very much missed her. Stupidly (and I knew it at the time) I really resented her younger siblings who nearly all lived into their late 80's\ early 90's.
My Dad died a few years later nearly 84 years old. I was then nearly 50 and felt I was much too young to be an orphan and (now) the older generation.
My 50th birthday celebration was entitled 'L'Chaim - To Live'.
When my youngest child died, tragically, soon after his 25th birthday, the person I most wanted at that time was my Mother. Obviously not possible, but I made do with her youngest sister who had also lost her youngest boy when he was 18 years old).
My only sibling (a much older brother) died a few days prior to his 75th birthday, I have gone beyond him and do wonder if I am likely to 'outlive' both my parents ages.
In any loving family - whereas it is correct and normal for parents to die before their children - their is still an acute sense of total loss with their deaths. Parents are the ones who give such total, unconditional love.

Spangles1963 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:28:53

My dad died 36 years ago this month,when I was 20. He was only 59,and eight months away from retiring. He had been looking forward to it for so long,he had worked solidly since he was 15,for the GPO,later known as British Telecom. He had been ill for 3 months,and it wasn't until he underwent an exploratory operation that it was discovered he had advanced stomach cancer. He died 4 days later.
My mum died just over 8 years ago,when I was 48. She was 84,and although she hadn't been in the best of health for a couple of years,she was still managing to get out and about. She went downhill very quickly towards the end. One Friday I was out shopping with her,the following Friday she wouldn't get out of bed and kept mistaking me for her mother. She was taken into hospital a few days later and within 2 days,lapsed into a coma. She died of a heart attack 5 days later. Apparently,she had had advanced kidney failure. The doctor had told her that her kidneys were failing about 2 years previously,but she had said nothing to me about it. I occasionally still wonder why.