Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you have housekeeping money?

(85 Posts)
harrigran Fri 06-Mar-20 18:08:10

Yes DH has given me an allowance for all of our married life. I do not have any income of my own so without it I would be destitute.

lemongrove Fri 06-Mar-20 17:59:28

No, the same as maddyone says.
Our parents generation was different, although some men handed over their pay packets to their wives and got their pocket money back, so that she dealt with all the rent/rates groceries etc.Many more didn’t, and a few drank away most of it.Hard times.☹️

TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:57:32

No don’t have housekeeping money,

3dognight Fri 06-Mar-20 17:54:21

Well I do have old fashioned housekeeping money.
My husband puts a hundred quid in my purse on a Friday , it's not really enough to feed us, three huge dogs, buy our wine and cider, etc....but somehow we do manage. We eat three excellent meals a day, cooked from scratch, the dogs are in superb condition, and we get a glass of wine or cider with our evening meal. We cannot afford to go out, or eat out, and sometimes, well almost always, I only have a tenner left on a Monday morning. Having a set amount of money in cash concentrates the mind and nothing is wasted.

Pittcity Fri 06-Mar-20 17:47:43

I have to give DH "pocket money" as he has no idea how to budget.

jura2 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:38:21

nope, never have.

Squiffy Fri 06-Mar-20 17:37:46

I remember, years ago, watching the series ‘Sam’ and the men (pitmen) would hand over their wages to the wives and the wives would give them a few coppers as their ‘spends’. I don’t think the wives had any ‘spends’! - well, not officially! wink

Daisymae Fri 06-Mar-20 17:36:55

My mum was sent to the factory gates to catch my grandad as he came out on Friday night. He would be straight up the pub if she didn't get the housekeeping there would be nothing left by the time he got home. That must be 100 years ago, literally!

maddyone Fri 06-Mar-20 17:36:45

No, I don’t have, not ever have had housekeeping money. Most of our marriage I have worked, and our salaries have always gone into a joint account. When I didn’t work outside the home I had very small children and the same access to the joint account.

millymouge Fri 06-Mar-20 17:32:27

Talking with some friends the other evening we were saying how our mothers used to have a set housekeeping amount. This was often given out by the man of the household and woe betide if you didn’t manage it to see you through the week. I can remember my FIL being really angry with MIL because she said he wasn’t giving her enough, he had no idea of the cost of anything. Several friends said that they thought that the way their mothers managed was marvellous. In many cases the man had his beer and cigarette money and the poor mum had nothing to fall back on. We all said we were sensible with our money but no one seemed to have a set amount handed out by their partner. How things have changed.