Gransnet forums

Chat

Will you leave a letter?

(87 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 08-Mar-20 15:33:39

I have already done that I wrote one when I was in my 40 s and had a health scare that turned out to be nothing I ve written another since and they are both with my paperwork

My parents didn’t but I have the last birthday card my Dad wrote to me with a lovely message it was literally 2 weeks after my birthday that he died It is now framed on my bedroom wall and I often read that short message which just says To my darling daughter ——, Heaps of love Dad xxx
in his beautiful handwriting that never changed in all his 92 years
It’s precious to me

shysal Sun 08-Mar-20 15:31:54

I have typed a list of will and bank account details, people to contact, funeral wishes (for none) etc., and just added a short paragraph at the end saying that being a mother and grandmother has been my greatest joy.

Davida1968 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:29:10

I hadn't thought of this until now. (Even though DH and I have each completed our LPAs and are also in the process of doing "end of life" statements.) Thanks, Artdecogran, for raising this issue. I'll certainly want to do "a letter".

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 15:23:12

Oh, I see.

No, I saw what a friend had put on FB recently, saying tell me you love me now, don't come to my funeral saying how you meant to say that.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 15:21:51

No, I won't, although I am thinking of sticking labels on everything, eg, do not put this in the skip, send to charity; do not bin, give this to the craft group etc etc.

Kandinsky Sun 08-Mar-20 14:50:37

I think it’s a lovely thing to do and something I probably will do yes.

M0nica Sun 08-Mar-20 14:49:20

It would never occur to me, unless there was a very specific reason. I tell them how much I love them, respect and admire them regularly, I do not need to let them know after the event,

wildswan16 Sun 08-Mar-20 14:39:39

I think writing a letter and leaving it with your will etc is a nice idea. We all hope to have comforting conversations with our loved ones before we die, but if you get hit by the Number 7 bus on the way home - that might not happen.

crazyH Sun 08-Mar-20 14:34:17

Yes, I would like to leave letters to each one - just thanking them for the different ways they have brought happiness in my life. I could write volumes on the worries they have brought me, but my final letter will focus on the positive .

Shandy57 Sun 08-Mar-20 14:32:31

I've been thinking about leaving my kids a letter, they were also very upset their Dad hadn't left anything for them. I've already bought a book of poems and included it in my will pack for each of my best friends, I will be including a letter with that.

I hope your letter from your Mum isn't upsetting Katyj. My auntie left me a letter with strict instructions not to open it but I couldn't resist - it was lovely. I'd better not go before her now, I hadn't even thought of writing her one!

Katyj Sun 08-Mar-20 14:28:19

No I won’t be leaving a letter. If I need to say anything I’d rather say it whilst I’m still able. My mum has left a letter for me,under strict instructions not to open until she has passed, I’m not looking forward to it, I would think it could be very upsetting.

Artdecogran Sun 08-Mar-20 14:14:47

Will you leave letters behind for your loved ones when you die and if so, what would you say. One of my AC has said he was sad that his dad hadn’t left something in writing. I had asked my husband to do something but he couldn’t face doing it. I’m planning on leaving messages for everyone but am worried that they would be repetitive. What would you do?