Gransnet forums

Chat

A domestic !

(129 Posts)
NanKate Sun 08-Mar-20 17:42:48

I’m sadly lacking in the domestic side of our marriage of 48 years.

Today DH was huffing and puffing whilst taking the washing out of the washing machine as he had found a mangled tissue which had spread throughout the machine ? I said it wasn’t mine and he said it wasn’t his. He put all the little white bits on the kitchen floor beside him and asked me to get the dust pan and brush out to clear it up. I said ‘do we have a dust pan and brush?’ He assured me there was one in the downstairs cupboard. I asked how long it had been there ‘About 5 years he said’. Well that was a surprise to me. I dutifully got out said dust pan and brush and swept them up. I felt really hot doing it and told him I could have the virus ? he assured me I had not as I wasn’t coughing.

Well that’s the last bit of housework I’m doing this Spring. ?

Are you a domestic goddess ?

JuliaM Sun 08-Mar-20 19:31:04

I used to be very house proud and managed all the domestic side of keeping house myself whilst my Husband worked long hours and often a 14hour day. Since he retired, my health has not been so good, and im full of Arthritis in my hands and knees, and cannot stand up formore than a few mins at a time, so he now does a fair bit of housework, and l just sit and cook meals using a perching stool in the kitchen. Recently though, one of my Daughters has also started helping out with the cleaning, mainly because DH is awaiting a Cataract removal operation and has not been able to see to set up the washing machine or clean up like he used to be able to do. DD has just moved house, so we do pay her the going hourly rate for a Cleaning lady, which in turn helps her buy a few extra things for her new home.

BlueSky Sun 08-Mar-20 19:34:07

Me too NanKate! grin

kittylester Sun 08-Mar-20 19:43:58

I'm with you, * kate*.

paddyanne Sun 08-Mar-20 19:55:57

1950's is alive and thriving here I do all the cooking cleaning shopping washing ironing childcare and work part time .I used to work full time but we're heading for retirement.
I like things done MY way so I keep everyone out of the kitchen ,it my domain.I like beds made a certain way so nobody touches them or I remake them when guests are "helpful" and do their own.As I do all the cooking I like to pick the food I cook although I do cook things I dont eat,like fowl for the others .
I change beds twice a week ,clean windows on Fridays ( must be a tradition) at night so I can check for smears and I even jetwash the bins.
I've never thought I was fussy ,my house is a home .There are magazines on tables ,things on the stairs to be taken up and cat toys scattered where they leave them .I think I have a happy medium ,it suits us .

eazybee Sun 08-Mar-20 20:11:52

I have never aspired to being a domestic goddess. Why would you?
But I do have a long-handled dustpan and broom and a short one, both bright pink, and I know where they are.

harrigran Sun 08-Mar-20 20:15:10

Oh dear me, I thought that was my post, it sounded familiar. Last month I bought a dustpan and brush, went to put it in the cupboard and guess what there was one hanging there already, that was a surprise.

BlueSapphire Sun 08-Mar-20 20:30:59

I don't have a dustpan and brush..... it's often on my shopping list, but somehow seems to get overlooked.

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 20:34:47

We do have a dust pan and brush somewhere, in fact two I think.
However, ours arenjnique because they have legs and they walk outside and into the garage.

BlueSapphire Sun 08-Mar-20 20:42:26

I do just the same as you, NanKate. I'm on my own now, but always did most stuff anyway. Though DH did do the washing up....sometimes.
I will have to do a big clean and tidy up in a week or so, as I am hosting our next ladies' wine tasting. My head is aching trying to think of what I am going to provide for food.

Missfoodlove Sun 08-Mar-20 20:44:37

I will confess to enjoying all aspects of housework!
I see it as therapeutic and great exercise.
I don’t work full time so have no truck with donning the rubber gloves.
It’s so satisfying and I love the end result.

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 21:46:36

NanKate grin
I think Mr NanKate is suberb, when I find a tissue in the wash, the air turns blue!
I am a bit of a domestic goddess as it happens? although Mr L will help out when prompted, I do all the main cleaning and cooking and quite enjoy it.I always have the radio on, mainly music which helps. We are both naturally very tidy so the house always looks ‘guest ready’ even when it’s just us two.
It has to be very clean as well as tidy ( no clutter other than books.)Shall I come and give you a hand, show you where all your cleaning stuff lives? ( under the sink and in that cupboard you have under the stairs!) grin

ClareAB Sun 08-Mar-20 21:48:17

BlueSapphire Lots of cheeses, crackers, olives and chocolate. Dark choc brownies are delicious with a full bodied red wine smile

Tangerine Sun 08-Mar-20 21:50:17

I don't mind cleaning, washing and ironing.

However, when I had a family at home, I did get fed up with cooking meals. My husband did cook some meals, I admit, but I did it mostly. I got fed up with thinking of different things to cook.

Now I live alone and I find it easier from a preparation of meals point of view.

Hetty58 Sun 08-Mar-20 21:57:37

I just can't be bothered until things get really bad. I've noticed that the windows need cleaning now that the sun's been shining. I can't see out. Maybe I'll ask those nice window cleaners to do the inside glass.

It's muddy paws time of year anyway (dog-floors, cat - furniture and windowsills) so what's the point?

The only time I spring into cleaning mode is when I'm expecting visitors. I'm exhausted when they arrive!

sodapop Sun 08-Mar-20 22:04:57

Love the image Dottydot grin

I can't settle if certain jobs are not done daily, vacuum up dog hairs and wash floors. Clean the kitchen and bathroom. Beds made.

boheminan Sun 08-Mar-20 22:07:06

I think it was Shirley Conran who stated many years ago 'life's too short to peel a mushroom' - that applies to housework for mesmile

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 22:13:34

Mind you, Shirley Conran had cleaners ( and quite possibly other staff!) grin

Hetty58 Sun 08-Mar-20 22:24:23

We always had a cleaner when I was growing up. Mum only did some ironing and cooking, so it's not my fault that I wait for somebody else to do it!

janeainsworth Sun 08-Mar-20 22:32:23

I thought I was a domestic goddess, but it appears I’m not.
This morning I stripped the bed, washed the sheets & pillowcases, and even hung them outside to dry on the line?

But it’s now 10.30pm and I’ve just realised I forgot to put clean sheets back on the bed ??

boheminan Sun 08-Mar-20 22:34:18

True lemongrove - apart from which, who actually peels mushrooms these days?hmm

TrendyNannie6 Sun 08-Mar-20 22:40:59

Your post made me giggle NanKate , it’s horrible when you find bits of tissue in the washing machine, no I’m not a domestic goddess, I do have a dustpan and brush and I know where it is, I do like some aspects of housework mainly hoovering and ironing, hate dusting

Grandmafrench Sun 08-Mar-20 22:58:19

What Shirley Conran said was "life's too short to stuff a mushroom". This was when she wrote against the great 70's wave of feminism which was seeming to promote the concept that women could have it all ! She wrote that they can't and they'll always struggle unless they prioritise. She said "What is a home?" "A home is a myth". "A home is the Forth Bridge, one damn long, never-ending cleaning job which nobody notices unless you don't do it!" ( She did have staff and I don't think she was big on dustpans and brushes!) grin

grannyactivist Sun 08-Mar-20 23:07:52

Callistemon I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but in fact your wandering dustpan and brush are by no means unique. Mine take themselves off to the garage, to the allotment shed, to the attic and to various other places where they hide themselves away until I have purchased yet another dustpan and brush, which I know will eventually give in to wanderlust. I used to think that it was simply carelessness on the part of The Wonderful Man, but apparently not. hmm grin

Callistemon Sun 08-Mar-20 23:12:31

When they come home, as they do very occasionally, they have obviously had a lovely time rolling around in the dirt, no amount of washing whilst singing Happy Birthday ten times gets them clean again.

janeainsworth Sun 08-Mar-20 23:24:18

who actually peels mushrooms these days?hmm

Me actually....doesn’t everyone? Unless they’re those very little squeaky clean button ones.