Gransnet forums

Chat

A domestic !

(129 Posts)
NanKate Sun 08-Mar-20 17:42:48

I’m sadly lacking in the domestic side of our marriage of 48 years.

Today DH was huffing and puffing whilst taking the washing out of the washing machine as he had found a mangled tissue which had spread throughout the machine ? I said it wasn’t mine and he said it wasn’t his. He put all the little white bits on the kitchen floor beside him and asked me to get the dust pan and brush out to clear it up. I said ‘do we have a dust pan and brush?’ He assured me there was one in the downstairs cupboard. I asked how long it had been there ‘About 5 years he said’. Well that was a surprise to me. I dutifully got out said dust pan and brush and swept them up. I felt really hot doing it and told him I could have the virus ? he assured me I had not as I wasn’t coughing.

Well that’s the last bit of housework I’m doing this Spring. ?

Are you a domestic goddess ?

blossom14 Tue 10-Mar-20 10:39:03

Several years ago I went to our local market for replacement bags for our hoover and the stallholder asked me whereabouts the on switch was to identify type of bag. I fessed up that I did not know as DH did all the hoovering. The stallholder (a man) told me I should be ashamed of myself grin.

trisher Tue 10-Mar-20 10:44:37

I should say that I blame my mother. She once told me that during the war she looked at the polished furniture falling out of bombed houses, thought about the woman who had spent her life polishing it and vowed she wasn't going to do that. She passed it on!

TerriBull Tue 10-Mar-20 10:45:54

Since my husband's retirement we pretty much split domestic chores, I do food shopping and all the cooking, rounding up the washing, loading the machine. He's very good at clearing up generally, washing pans, loading the dishwasher, tidying up the garden, we split the ironing down the middle. He got fed up with heavy duty housework, cleaning showers etc. don't blame him he always applied more elbow grease than I ever could. However, a couple of years ago he hired a cleaner, several hours once a week, I did think "are you mad!" at the time, now I realise would hate to live without her I love an immaculate house, she comes on Tuesday and it's fab for a few days, although we do tidy as we go. Grandchildren quite often stay on a Friday or Saturday every other week..........and well suffice to say after they've gone it can look as if the house has been ransacked shock