Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(68 Posts)
12Michael Wed 11-Mar-20 06:10:12

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight here in Brackley this morning, with a clear sky , but looks cold outside.
Today, quite day maybe pick up prescriptions , plus small shop.
Then after lunch watch cycling on TV , which under the present climate might be the last one whilst things going on elsewhere.
Mind you yesterday, I noticed in Sainsburys the pasta shelves empty , plus maybe flour etc running low.
Yet the History of pasta brought back to Italy by Marco polo, when he discovered China so there has to be a link.
Mick

dragonfly46 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:05:16

Good morning from a bright and sunny Leicestershire, sorry Mary!

My lovely gardener came yesterday and the garden I’d a picture. Such a pleasure when you can’t get out much.
Another hospital visit today to get my line flushed but at least it is local.

Thinking of those who are needing kind thoughts. I believe this is your third worst day of the week Gilly.

DoraMarr Wed 11-Mar-20 08:08:43

Good morning from Birmingham, where it is bright and sunny, but with gathering clouds.
The concert yesterday was glorious. I did the sensible thing and caught the bus home afterwards, got my phone out and read some messages, missed my stop by a long way and had to walk all the way back! At least it wasn’t raining.
I’m meeting a friend in Moseley this morning in a cafe where they do delicious teas. I will have a mint tea with honey, and maybe some baklava. Then I have quite a few pages of my book to read before writing class this evening- I don’t know why I procrastinate!
* Bluesapphire* I do sympathise. I have a friend who had just that regime. Enjoy your tea when it comes.
Have a good day everyone.

MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 08:09:43

Marydoll that is so sad about your friend’s son, but TG she was with him right to the end. I just remember getting a phone call from the Westminster Hospital where our wee boy had had major heart surgery and wishing I could have been there ??
Anti-b’s should clear up Hand, foot and mouth if your DGD has contracted it and I don’t know if we can get it as adults can we?
Try not to worry, I actually think that can affect the immune system as when you are down you seem more vulnerable. Concentrate on the important things, that MOB outfit -hat? (TOY )

Pantglas2 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:10:10

Morning everyone from a windy but bright north Wales where I’ve been up and about and am now enjoying the chamberpot (regulars will know what I mean......)

I’m off to see Military Wives with DD this afternoon Gingster it looks like a ‘happy’ film - can’t be doing with too much doom and gloom at the moment.

Hope your trip to Spain on Friday goes according to plan Ginny42 Urmstongran is our scout and reports back with news of lovely weather!

I’ve got a few weeks to go yet before we fly and I’m keeping an open mind on this darned virus upsetting my plans. DH is recovering so well from his hip op but I’m mindful that he has heart problems so trying to keep him safe is top priority!

Hope you feel better soon Scentia and all unwell improve today x

Greyduster Wed 11-Mar-20 08:11:14

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The sun is shining in South Yorkshire, and it promises to be a mild day. I have to pay the house some attention today but I am hoping to get an hour or so in the garden too. Can’t do anything that requires me to get down on my knees yet, but there are plenty of standing up jobs! I am sneezing this morning, but then I have been sneezing every morning for months, so am not unduly worried about it! Onward and upward, folks. Have the best day you can.

Urmstongran Wed 11-Mar-20 08:15:15

You are always so upbeat Marydoll I salute you! You make light of your worries and manage to find good cheer in every kind of social interaction.

Hi MawB it’s lovely to have you post again! I’ve missed your messages these last couple of weeks. Wicked you - searching for an embarrassing photo of your daughter for FB. That’s norty!

BladeAnnie Wed 11-Mar-20 08:15:29

Good morning all from mid-Notts. All the Coronavirus talk is starting to get a little worrying. Marydoll - I too have a compromised immune system which makes it more of a worry. I had 3 hospital appointments last week and signs were everywhere about hand sanitising etc and so many people blatantly ignoring it. My lovely cleaning lady is usually here on Wednesday but just text me to say she feels unwell so staying at home. Hope we all have the best day possible x

Baggs Wed 11-Mar-20 08:21:41

Morning, folks! Although the back terrace is still as squelchy as a soggy crumble pudding, the kitchen drain is not full at the moment. Yesterday, and a good few other days during February and March, we've had to empty the washing up water into a bucket and take it outside to pour down the hill. Fortunately, our main soakaway drainage system that deals with the loos and bathroom seems to be working just fine. I don't know when the kitchen drain was put in but it aint as good as the Victorian one that serves the rest of the house.

The heron that visits the pond most days was sitting there looking completely drookit when I first woke.

marydoll, your GP story is sweet ?

I've joined the chamberpot tea brigade ☕️
Happy slurping, everyone!

Marydoll Wed 11-Mar-20 08:23:07

Maw, I'm sorry if I awakened sad memories of your wee son.

The virus can make adults with a compromised immune system very ill and worst case scenario is viral meningitis. That's not my main worry.
I cannot start my new treatment if I have been in contact with anyone infectious, whether I'm infected or not. Even having a cold will scupper it!
My sister in law appeared yesterday, coughing, and spluttering all over me, as I opened the door, telling me she had had a stomach bug! ?

I'm usually very blasé about things like that and just get on with it, but I have waited a very long time for this treatment.??

Scentia Wed 11-Mar-20 08:23:58

Urmstongran
Don’t know how to send photos on a PM
Here is our factory, that just the two of us work in. Sometimes we work tremendously hard but sometimes not. My DH is working his way down to retire so I think I will get a job of my own soon as his pension will never keep me and my dog in the lifestyle we have become accustomed?

Marydoll Wed 11-Mar-20 08:26:06

Scentia, there is no facility to send photos with a PM.

If you wanted to send to a GN friend, you would need their email address, as some of us do.

Sar53 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:30:27

Good morning everyone from a lovely sunny Essex by the sea.
I'm off to my volunteering at the local hospital shortly. It will be interesting to hear the latest news on the virus.
A visit to friends afterwards to pick up some paperwork for a small job that I do for them.
Keep well and have a pleasant day.

MawB Wed 11-Mar-20 08:32:26

Scentia my first thought was “Those are big loo rolls” grin

You are right to be concerned Marydoll and will perhaps have to be “brutal” to protect your health. Take care.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:32:38

Good morning everyone from what was a bright and sunny Oxfordshire, but it’s now getting cloudy. I have a large Forsythia bush my my sitting room window, in full bloom, and I keep thinking that the sun has come out! It’s very pretty though.
DH is still recovering from a chest infection which has now triggered an Asthma exacerbation so more pills and steroids, we have cancelled our holiday, last minute so no refund, but he isn’t well enough to travel and is coughing and spluttering most of the day.
A family member is recovering from hand , foot and mouth disease at the moment , she was very poorly and is in her late 40’s.
Hope every one has a good and healthy day, still thinking about all those poor people with the floods and all those who are unwell.
My DDs always mock me for my store cupboard, but who had to borrow some loo rolls yesterday?
xx

Scentia Wed 11-Mar-20 08:37:02

MawB

??

Nannytopsy Wed 11-Mar-20 08:39:01

Good morning Mick and all his followers!
A lovely start to the day in Suffolk although I can see some cloud in the West.
The last building job was done yesterday and we put up curtains etc in our new dining room. Tomorrow we get the carpet and then we can finally unpack!
I have a metal trough under the sitting room window and today I want to plant the second one, to go under the dining room window to match.
WI tonight.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

mancgirl Wed 11-Mar-20 08:44:06

Good morning from North Costa Blanca where we woke up to blue skies and sunshine. Very different from when we left Manchester yesterday where the rain was pouring down. We've got here but will get back home?. No hand gel here either. The sun isn't quite in the garden yet but lovely to sit on the naya with brew gazing out to sea. Few errands this morning, lunch at the marina than an afternoon reading outside, favourite thing to do. Oh, suppose I should tackle the laundry from our last visit in December ?. Hope everyone has the best day they can. Hugs to those who need one.

Urmstongran Wed 11-Mar-20 09:00:06

Thanks Scentia!

Welcome back to Spain fellow Mancgirl it’s gorgeous here already today. Himself has just gone out in shorts and a vest tee for a walk along the paseo before it gets too hot!

Anniebach Wed 11-Mar-20 09:02:47

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Auntieflo Wed 11-Mar-20 09:11:52

Good morning Michael, Annie, and all.
The weather here sounds very like your's in S.Bucks NanKate.
We woke up to bright sun, and when DH brought me my cup of tea, I began singing "The sun has got his hat on", DH joined in and we ended up giggling.
I did a top up shop yesterday. No pasta fusilli in Tesco, but got some Farfalle, thanks to a tall shopper, for the recipe we like. Quite a lot of loo rolls, mainly of the A....x variety. Flour also only in tiny bags. Enough for a couple of cakes maybe,
Last night I had a phone call from DD. They had ordered us a Robot cleaner, and were told it would be delivered, yesterday.
Well, the courier van appeared on their drive, sat there a long time, then knocked to say the parcel was not on the van?
Scentia your little factory looks interesting, and lots of loo roll middles!
Best wishes to Marydoll, Gillybob and DH, EllanVannin and Dragonfly, and all those who are unwell.
Have a good day one and all.

Marydoll Wed 11-Mar-20 09:12:24

Umstongran and Mancgirl, STOP IT! grin

?????☔☂

Susan56 Wed 11-Mar-20 09:14:08

Sorry to hear about your friends son Mary?
I think you are going to have to be strict with family and friends about visiting you if they even think they may be unwell,It would be awful if the new treatment was delayed.
Your GP sounds lovely☺️

Kalu Wed 11-Mar-20 09:19:42

Good morning all from a dreich Glasgow. Grey, wet and high winds coming later today. Yuck!

Did a supermarket shop yesterday and all I noticed missing from the shelves was hand sanitiser. I found everything I needed along with a large packet of Marshall’s Macaroni and a good sized lump of strong cheddar, macaroni cheese is my comfort food should any shortages happen here?

All set to make my own hand sanitiser today, recipe courtesy of another Gnetter.

Can’t believe your SiL turned up full of germs Marydoll! I think in your situation I would have had to pretend no one was home. Your health and well being must take priority. Take care.

Best wishes to all for a pleasant day

aggie Wed 11-Mar-20 09:24:11

Good Morning from a blustery Co Armagh.
My daughter has just been in with a bucket !
She is bleaching all the door handles !

dragonfly46 Wed 11-Mar-20 09:24:15

I was told in Sainsbury yesterday that people have bought up the hand sanitizer and are selling it on eBay. I can’t get hold of any but do have disposable gloves!