Gransnet forums

Chat

Start of things to come?

(29 Posts)
Dec46 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:37:38

I've just had a phone call from my Solicitor to say that all face to face appointments will be cancelled from this coming Monday.I had an appointment to redo my Will on Wednesday.A telephone appointment has been offered instead but I'm hoping I can get an office appointment with another Firm.

merlotgran Fri 13-Mar-20 11:44:18

We had an appointment with our solicitor yesterday. Having made us wait 40 mins because his previous appointment over ran, he bounded up to us with outstretched hand and seemed bemused when we stepped back and declined to shake it.

It was a small cramped office - not his normal room and his assistant had the sniffles.

We were glad to get out!

BlueSky Fri 13-Mar-20 11:46:10

If they follow Italy's example you will have to self certify every time you leave the house even if you go shopping...

tanith Fri 13-Mar-20 12:00:21

My daughter works in an Estate Agent they have just asked her to put up a notice saying no visitors unless you have an appointment and the door is locked.
So if you have an appointment you’re virus free then?

She laughed her head off.

sodapop Fri 13-Mar-20 12:22:39

I thought that was a well known medical fact tanith grin

Chestnut Fri 13-Mar-20 12:29:46

What about hairdressers, chiropodists and dentists? These services are needed by our age group but involve face to face contact. Worse of all, young women will not be able to get their caterpillar eyebrows and Hollywood waxing done!

Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:14:24

If we have the internet solicitors and doctors could perhaps offer Skype? I think some doctors do already.

tanith Fri 13-Mar-20 13:17:11

sodapop ?

ninathenana Fri 13-Mar-20 13:30:51

I have a routine out patient appointment on Thursday. As yet I haven't been asked not to attend.

BlueSky Fri 13-Mar-20 13:35:27

For hospital appointments I guess we would be advised not to attend if risky.

Dec46 Fri 13-Mar-20 13:44:05

Yes,Solicitor did offer Skpye,but it's not something I've ever used. I'm more resigned to no Appointment now and realise I could just email names etc through to them and have them confirm them on phone and email too.
My neighbour has an Out Patient appointment on Tuesday which hasn't been cancelled. Another has Heart Surgery booked for Monday and it's still going ahead as far as she knows.
I suspect Solicitors are looking ahead to reaping the profits from Probate duties and want to be around for that when the time comes.Every cloud!!!

Septimia Fri 13-Mar-20 14:09:45

DS has just been told to work from home 3 days a week. There are only 2 people in his office anyway.... However, other branches of the company are larger, so I suppose the rule is more for them.

Sarahmob Fri 13-Mar-20 14:19:00

Our GP surgery are only offering telephone appointments from today - and the school I teach at have had to prepare home learning packs ahead of anticipated closure.

tanith Fri 13-Mar-20 14:19:43

A young family member who works and has a 2 yr old has suggested to her boss they run a small crèche for similar employees if the schools and nursery’s close. They have a safe place within the building but I’m not sure that would be allowed even.

vegansrock Fri 13-Mar-20 14:25:40

The solicitor says lots of people making wills- good for their business I guess. My drs is from today only offering telephone appointments - I need blood pressure checked not sure how they do that over the phone. Guess I could do it myself.

Jane10 Fri 13-Mar-20 14:52:16

I was at the opticians yesterday, the dentist last week and have a hairdresser appointment next week. All involve much more close personal contact than those office based jobs. Lots more contacts too in the course of a working day. Just saying.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 16:08:11

How long before we see this grin

rafichagran Fri 13-Mar-20 16:12:43

Vanpirequeen that picture is horrible. Very creepy.

Chestnut Fri 13-Mar-20 16:17:01

Agreed, not a very welcome addition to the thread.

Chestnut Fri 13-Mar-20 16:20:21

Jane10 - the dentist and the optician are VERY close contact. I think I will give them both a miss. You cannot tell who is carrying the virus. Teeth can be cleaned very thoroughly with a water flosser if that's a help. It's better than the little brushes and may save a visit to the hygienist for the time being.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 16:20:36

Why? It's a 17th century doctor doing house calls. The beak was to protect him from the illness in the miasma. It's not as if I posted this image. Now that would have been tasteless grin

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 16:35:36

Perhaps they should start showing this public information advert again.

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coughs+and+sneezes+spread+diseases&&view=detail&mid=F6BE62FE5EA0F895D6EDF6BE62FE5EA0F895D6ED&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dcoughs%2Band%2Bsneezes%2Bspread%2Bdiseases%26FORM%3DHDRSC3

Floradora9 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:42:49

I have an eye test booked for Saturday and took a call from them to-day asking if I had a high temperature or a cough. When I laughed the girls said " I know but I have to ask everyone "

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 16:48:21

I've just made an appointment at my GP's for next week. I asked the receptionist if they were still doing face to face appointments. She laughed and said that panic mode hadn't set in. We're obviously made of sterner stuff in Hull.

eazybee Fri 13-Mar-20 18:15:04

Face to face tutorials with the OU, my course anyway, have been cancelled, and we are debating whether to cancel a planned talk at the local library next week, as the attendees are mostly sixty or seventy.
Not panic, just trying to follow advice sensibly.