Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone want to talk about anything other than *The virus*

(158 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 15:57:01

Nothing in particular I just thought we could have a chat about anything you fancy
So this thread is going to be virus free and can take what ever direction anyone wants
Get your cup of coffee and your biscuit and let’s see where it takes us
I ll start off with a query I ve got a beautiful flowering Amaryllis every year I try and keep the bulb but never have much luck the following year hasanyone got any foolproof methods apart from cool dark place over summer ?

seacliff Wed 18-Mar-20 10:18:49

Yes that's true Bluebell, thanks. We often do a collage of old family photos pinned up, when we have a family do. Fun to see how we all looked when little. The pics I will bin are more the holiday views/architecture/ducks etc.

The people ones (if not too blurred) I'll try and keep. It's really good to write on back who they are too, and a possible date. I very much doubt if my kids will be interested, but you never know.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 10:04:53

sword swallowing

I think you should have added a proviso, Gabriella
"Do not try this at home"
People may be looking for a new hobby if bored stiff with isolation.

grin

BlueBelle Wed 18-Mar-20 10:04:20

oh seacliff take care with the binning I put all my older photos on many discs but never ever look at them there is so much value in the old fashioned way of keeping photos
I have kept mine as photo but backed them up on disc the first thing my away teen grandkids do If they come for a visit is get the old photo albums out never ask for a disc ?

seacliff Wed 18-Mar-20 09:26:12

I let my cat watch cat TV videos on YouTube. His favourite is one with the bird bath.

I have so many old photos laying around. I need to learn how to scan them and keep them somewhere. A disc maybe. Then I will put a few nice ones in albums and bin the rest. So may pictures of ducks!!
(good job I spell checked that last sentence before posting. grin]

GabriellaG54 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:43:10

There is virtually everything you could ever wish (or not) to view on YouTube. Some of it unbelievable.
Did you know that one cannot practice sword swallowing with anything other than a flat blade as your gullet is flat, like a sheath, not a tube, as people suppose it to be.

Namsnanny Tue 17-Mar-20 23:32:30

You just made that up MissAdventure!

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 23:07:48

I watch a man on YouTube who aquascapes aquariums, and his videos are amazing. The quality is superb, and it's all filmed on his phone.

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 23:02:07

Me too. I'm just a beginner. Some of the groups I belong to carry loads of 'clutter' (as I call it) tripods and extra lens +++ blah blah.

They spend ages setting up and fitting various attachments but the results are not better than mine.
Theirs may be more considered in composition but that is something I will learn.

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 22:51:13

You do sound knowledgeable, though, MissA which is always most important!

I can't be bothered with larger, bulky cameras these days so just have a very small one which is handy as it fits in a bag or pocket.
I leave the professional stuff to the professionals.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 22:32:50

I think even a middling quality smart phone can evenly match all of the features of a laptop, computer, camera.
Not that I know the slightest thing about phones, or any of the other things I just mentioned.
blush

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 22:29:02

Re cameras v mobile phones. I can't get to grips with my Canon camera and it's bulkier but my mobile has all the doo-dads needed to take excellent photos. The main camera is 48mpl, second one is 16mp and 3rd is 8mp.
As you say Namsnanny, you almost always have your phone on you, which is handy for those unexpected moments when you wish you had a camera ??

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 22:20:40

Definitely want another topic other than ill health, Covid-19 and shortages which seem to permeate every other thread.
It can get wearing.

sodapop Tue 17-Mar-20 22:13:07

Don't want to rain on your parade BlueBelle but I've just read that Line of Duty has been postponed because of the unmentionable. I love that series as well.

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 20:25:05

I have a small Canon camera which I often forget to take with me anyway, so having a phone which takes good photos is a good idea.

Namsnanny Tue 17-Mar-20 17:21:16

That is so interesting GabriellaG54 I've wondered about whether a phone is better or worse than a camera.
I've worked on the principle that I'm more likely to have my phone on me than camera, so I bought my phone with that in mind!

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 09:33:04

It's grey and drizzling today so that has made my mind up re the strawberry plants.

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 00:17:09

Yes, HappyGrandmother I belong to 2 photography groups in Surrey.
I usually take better photos with my 3 camera phone than with my Canon DSL.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 00:14:22

The Ides of March.
I always think of Charles Hawtry in the carry on film. grin

MissAdventure Tue 17-Mar-20 00:10:16

I can't quite bring myself to imagine we'll get by without another frost.
It has been just glorious here today, so it's tempting to think it may carry on, but I doubt it.

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 14:37:23

My strawberries are looking terrible - lots of brown leaves but the green ones are just poking through.

Should I just clip off the brown leaves or leave them in case we have a late frost?
They were new plants the year before last and did very well last summer, we had a good crop.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 16-Mar-20 13:58:57

Thank you, MissAdventure - I thought about my little orchid helping new life along as I consigned it to the compost heap!

dorcas1950 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:18:19

Blue Belle: 'Hunted' is one of my favourites. It gets the adrenalin going. Now waiting for 'Line of Duty' new series.

Namsnanny Sun 15-Mar-20 13:49:43

happygrandmother ....hands up I am! Novice and nervous and not good with tech!!!

BlueBelle Sun 15-Mar-20 13:25:35

Although it’s dead cold here I went to my allotment for a couple of hours the wind was whistling and the weeds had grown yet again, I dug about a quarter over (again) I got so hot it was coat, scarf and top jumper off phew
Now home cooked some bits and pieces for my lunch and will probably have a nap soon ?
Is anyone watching Hunted or Race the World if we can’t go travelling ourselves at the moment it’s fun to watch others

HappyGrandmother Sun 15-Mar-20 10:17:26

I've just had a shower, now lyi g on my bed in my towelling dressing gown cooling off with a coffee.
I'm just about to watch some photo editing tutorials on my ipad. Anyone else 'into' photography.