Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone want to talk about anything other than *The virus*

(157 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 15:57:01

Nothing in particular I just thought we could have a chat about anything you fancy
So this thread is going to be virus free and can take what ever direction anyone wants
Get your cup of coffee and your biscuit and let’s see where it takes us
I ll start off with a query I ve got a beautiful flowering Amaryllis every year I try and keep the bulb but never have much luck the following year hasanyone got any foolproof methods apart from cool dark place over summer ?

MawB Fri 13-Mar-20 16:00:26

Wouldn’t it be nice!
(Frantically trying to think of something.....) ??

AGAA4 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:03:53

Just thinking about my 9 month old grandson, who is blissfully unaware of the current situation. Lovely to see his smiles and hear his funny little chuckles

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 16:08:04

Hi Bluebelle, got my coffee here. No biscuits though, I am trying hard to shrink.

Sorry no garden tips either. I got a fake one several years ago, and it is so realistic, I have had so many compliments about it, with people thinking it is real. I just have to remember to put it away in the summer. Hope you get some more helpful advice soon.

It is nice and sunny here now in North Suffolk, after a grey start. It is really feeling like Spring, lovely.

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 16:12:35

Totally random - me and my cat Gizmo are both on a diet. He is doing well, should reach his target in about 10 weeks. May be a bit longer for me.

Esspee Fri 13-Mar-20 16:15:44

BlueBelle. With you 100%.
The most important thing with Amaryllis is to keep the leaves going and feed with liquid fertiliser. A warm light place allows the plant to build up the bulb for the next year then midsummer gradually allow it to dry off completely. In late autumn plans the dry bulb in fresh compost and water.

anniezzz09 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:16:10

It was so warm sitting in the sun drinking a coffee this morning. At last it looks like some kind of spring is arriving. Hopeful.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 16:16:43

I've had a particularly stressful few days and, as always, resorted to comfort eating but as I'm trying to lose weight (40lbs to date) and wanted to reduce the damage I decided to try to binge on healthier foods. Word of warning to fellow bingers. Eating half a kilo of grapes in a few minutes may seem a good idea at the time but suffice to say it doesn't feel so clever 24 hours later blush

Calendargirl Fri 13-Mar-20 16:20:11

Re amaryllis. DD sent me one about five years ago. I followed the instructions on a website called Rochester Gardening I think it was called. It gave good advice, well I followed it and it has re-flowered every year, is nearly ready to come out again. Have never re-potted it, still in same pot it came in. Start watering it again a bit in the spring. Don’t over water or bulb will rot.

M0nica Fri 13-Mar-20 16:24:38

I have just posted my good news in another thread - I cut the grass this afternoon. The car has a new battery so this evening I can drive confidently to an engagement knowing that I am not going to run out of power somewhere on a deserted country road.

It has been a lovely day in Oxfordshire and I am beginning to hope that I might, just might, now the grass is cut, start on the rest of the garden tomorrow.

merlotgran Fri 13-Mar-20 16:25:18

DH is repairing the ride on mower thanks to pesky mice nesting in the air filter. He's had me making a fiddly carburettor gasket out of an old inner tube this afternoon.

It reminded me of our first 'date', sitting on a bank outside his workshop stripping down an SU carburettor for an old Morris minor.

Little did I know what I was letting myself in for grin

seacliff Fri 13-Mar-20 16:26:03

We cannot cut the grass yet, as our land is so waterlogged. It's very heavy clay.

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 16:32:46

Tea for me, please, Bluebelle

I saw a summer flowering jasmine today and wondered whether or not to buy one.
However, the spot DH suggested for it doesn't get much sun. Does anyone have one? Does it prefer a sunny spot?

It was in Lidl - anyone know what their plants are like?
The other thing was, it was already in flower hmm
Any advice welcome

Thank uou

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 16:35:31

vq I ate quite a lot of fruit yesterday to try to up my vitamin intake (for no particular reason) and can testify that yes, it does have some other results

rosenoir Fri 13-Mar-20 16:52:44

vampirequeen 40lb! impressive,well done you.

Callistemon I have not had any success with Lidl plants nor their cut flowers which only lasted 4 days.

I have had success with Morrisons plants and they are a good price.

rosenoir Fri 13-Mar-20 16:53:25

Liking this thread.

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 16:55:24

I think I will abandon the idea thank you rosenoir. It did seem a bit early to be in flower. And we'd have to dig the probably sodden soil.

Well done vq and others who have lost weight!

vena11 Fri 13-Mar-20 16:59:26

Enjoying the quite as Dh is out . Baked a banana loaf and made a chilli this afternoon. Sun has been shining most of the day .

Sar53 Fri 13-Mar-20 17:00:10

We've come to Wales for the rugby. It was postponed when we were about half an hour away from our hotel. We will now have a lovely weekend , staying in Newport. Off to Cardiff tomorrow. Cest la vie !!!

POGS Fri 13-Mar-20 17:00:38

I have found out Port and Fanta Fruit Twist mixed together with ice tastes a tad like Sangria.

Hoora

Callistemon Fri 13-Mar-20 17:06:14

I bought some limes for the vitamin C but I think they'd taste better mixed with a Bombay gin and tonic.

I'll experiment later smile
(Will still get the vit C)

tanith Fri 13-Mar-20 17:08:58

Talking of Amaryllis I’ve never managed to keep one going this years choice was red. The thought crossed my mind this morning to cut the grass but I convinced myself it was too early.

pollyperkins Fri 13-Mar-20 17:12:34

I’ve not had much success with amaryllis and in fact I’m quite good at killing plants unfortunately. However I’m very proud that my orchid is flowering for the fifth time! I had it 5 years ago (DH got it got my 70th) and it thrives on neglect. Hardly ever remember to water it (but I do this by standing the pot in water for an hour or two) and haven’t fed it or repotted it. It’s amazing.

sodapop Fri 13-Mar-20 17:22:10

Definitely coffee and cake for me please BlueBelle or even a G&T if its on offer.
Had to go back to the dentist this morning as my temporary crown fell out. He said if it happens again before my Tuesday appointment stick it back in with toothpaste. French dentists for you. No more nut choc for me for a while but cake is fine smile

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Mar-20 17:25:27

VampireQueen. Well done! Are you following Slimmer's World or anything, or just cutting out some foods? I know what you mean about grapes - when I've got some, I can't leave them alone, then have stomachache all night afterwards grin