Gransnet forums

Chat

Thick or stubborn?

(37 Posts)
phoenix Fri 13-Mar-20 18:27:59

Hello all, and good, healthy wishes to you!

The mogs, Minnie & Sprout, use the kitchen window for their comings and goings.

(No catflap)

Consequently, that particular window handle gets a lot of use! smile

Well, this morning, after being a bit wobbly for a while, it dropped off.sad

As the weather is less than wonderful, I went outside and pushed it shut.

Cue cats wanting to come in/go out. Sometimes with irritating frequency. hmm

So, as I'm not working today, I have been able to be on hand as a cat concierge blush

Sprout positions himself on the windowsill, wanting to go out. I open the front door, make encouraging noises. Nothing. Go into kitchen to find him still on the windowsill, doing that sort of slow blink "smile" (cat owners staff will know what I mean)

Bodily move him to the hall, where he spots the open front door, which he daintily minces through.

A while later Minnie appears on the outside of the window. I open the front door, and again make encouraging noises.

These didn't work. She doesn't do cat smiles, preferring instead to opt for the "gormless and wide eyed" look.

I ended up having to pick her up and cart her indoors. She rewarded my efforts by going to the litter tray and producing a stench that wasn't at all relative to either her size or usual demeanour. (Although, having said that, when she is going "cracker cat" she goes up the stairs like a pit pony on steroids).

Mr P is going to get a replacement handle first thing tomorrow!

MissAdventure Fri 13-Mar-20 21:37:58

I love black and white cats.
I'm sure they're the most affectionate.
I really wish I could have a cat to serve.

SalsaQueen Fri 13-Mar-20 21:39:48

*My little Stella used to "talk" all the time and she wanted to be on my knee the minute I sat down. She was from a shelter - I've always had rescue cats. My boy is lovely. I absolutely adore him smile

MissAdventure Fri 13-Mar-20 21:42:30

I like it when they change their mind, just as they're going outside.
Their body does a sort of concertina move where it folds up on itself so they don't actually move anywhere.

And they know you'll be cross, too.

phoenix Fri 13-Mar-20 21:59:41

Both of my current mogs are from CP, as was the dear departed Digby, referred to as "nice but dim", after the Harry Enfield character, Tim nice but dim.

I really couldn't imagine the house without animals. There have been times when Mr P has had to work away from home, meaning that from Monday morning to Friday evening I would be on my own.

It was good to come home to the cats, they were pleased to see me, even if it might have been just cupboard love!

MissAdventure Fri 13-Mar-20 22:04:16

Our cat followed my daughter to school and right into the building. smile

downtoearth Fri 13-Mar-20 22:38:00

MissA Jeffrey our mog used to do that,but had double duty when daughter went to secondary school and son still in juniors, he stayed with us till he was 18

Feelingmyage55 Fri 13-Mar-20 22:46:47

I don’t have a cat, officially, that is. Next door has a new cat, who clearly prefers my house. What to do? The little girls are not happy cos they adore the cat already but he just puts his nose in the air, ignores them and chooses me! He especially likes the warm spot on my patio.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Mar-20 22:56:18

Lovely, downtoearth.
It makes my heart go a bit gooey.

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Mar-20 22:58:41

Heaven knows what my neighbours think I am doing when Tara occasionally around 10 pm has a minute or two of madness running up and downstairs like something possessed, crashing into furniture and making a dreadful noise.

She has now taken to telling me when she wants her litter tray attended to, she has started to drop small dollops of poo from the stairs to the 3rd bedroom where her usually very clean litter tray is. I am not impressed with that recent development.

maddyone Sat 14-Mar-20 14:06:25

Oh you’re all making me miss my cats so much, such lovely pictures you’ve posted. Our last cat, a Bengal rescue cat, had masses of energy during his early years, and used to charge up and down stairs in the middle of the night quite often. I miss him so much, but we had to have him put to sleep after he developed a tumour last year. I couldn’t bear to go with him as it upset me so much when our other cat had been put to sleep, so made my husband take him. He was a crazy cat, and I miss him, and the others, so much.

MissAdventure Sat 14-Mar-20 14:09:37

We used to love putting an open bag on the floor, then watching the cat pounce into it and start scooting it around the place.