Gransnet forums

Chat

Hand cream

(39 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 14-Mar-20 12:28:37

With the increase in hand washing I expect sales of hand cream are booming. So, do you have recommendations or perhaps a favourite you’d like to share.

My grandson is a stickler for washing his hands at school where the soap (when they haven’t run out of it), is very harsh. With all the extra hand washing his little hands have become raw (see photo’s) and without a GPs prescription he is not allowed to take hand cream or his own soap into school. angry

Party4 Mon 16-Mar-20 04:54:34

I was once advised Aveena which is available off shelf at most stores.Have passed info to friends who have been so grateful as sorted problem cancelling need appt with dermotologist.

Labaik Mon 16-Mar-20 00:28:36

Could you send a picture of his hands to the practice nurse? They might be more than happy to consult via email at the moment?

Labaik Mon 16-Mar-20 00:27:10

When my hands looked like that hydrocortisone was the only thing that worked. One application overnight then wearing cotton gloves would do the trick and then I would keep on top of it using Neutrogena or Aveeno. Hydrocortisone isn't as strong as, say, betnovate although strangely enough you can only get the stronger one over the counter; the weaker one is prescription only [unless things have changed]. Also, creams don't moisturise as well as ointments; hydrocortisone ointment is better than cream. Would he be allowed to use a soap substitute eg E45 wash cream [or would that not clean his hands thoroughly?]

Callistemon Mon 16-Mar-20 00:18:20

I'm surprised he's not allowed to take his cream in even if the form teacher, the school secretary or nurse if there is one, takes charge of it and lets him use it after hand washing.

grannyactivist Mon 16-Mar-20 00:12:03

My daughter hasn't been able to get an appointment with her GP as it's not classed as urgent, so she's given my grandson a tiny pot of cream to use at school and if it's confiscated she will keep him off school until his hands have healed. (By which time the schools will no doubt have closed for Easter anyway.)

Fortunately his hands are much better for not having been washed at school for the last two days.

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 23:37:45

I would only use hydrocortisone as a last resort, it worries me that the GP prescribed it for DGD.
It thins the skin and it to be used extremely sparingly.

GrannyLaine Sun 15-Mar-20 20:29:38

Poor little chap, that looks sore. I wonder if, in fact, that is an allergic reaction to whatever he is washing his hands with? Do you notice how it is predominantly the back of his hands and not so much on his fingers? Just where I imagine he rubs the soap on. Before applying anything else, I think I'd get it looked at by a nurse practitioner or GP.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 20:28:18

Oh yes they would Callistemon! My daughter had very chapped and cracked lips one winter so I gave her a lip salve stick for her coat pocket. It was promptly reported and confiscated. They can be bastards!

Callistemon Sun 15-Mar-20 20:18:46

They do look sore
DGD gets eczema and said her hands were very sore, I gave her a tube of Aveeno which I hadn't opened but I think Neutrogena, Atrixo or anything which isn't perfumed is good.

What about a tin of Burt's Bees hand salve? They wouldn't take it off him at school surely? That would be cruel.

arthursfam Sun 15-Mar-20 19:50:22

When I had ‘hives’ my GP prescribed Zerobase Emollient Cream. Although I had it on prescription you can buy it over the counter. It costs about £10 for 500g and I have used it ever since for my hands,and it lasts for weeks

chocolatepudding Sun 15-Mar-20 19:38:23

O'Keefes hand cream is available at Sainsburys etc and from eBay and a little soaks in well. I use it on small cuts at the top of my thumbs.

Washerwoman Sun 15-Mar-20 17:37:12

Another vote for OKeefe's working hands.I have worked outside for years and get terribly cracked dry hands if I don't apply hand cream several times a day. I've tried so many but this has worked best so far.

Gummie Sun 15-Mar-20 17:32:57

Poor babies ?

MiniMoon Sun 15-Mar-20 16:04:35

My grandsons have inherited a genetic skin condition, x linked ichthiosis. Their arms and legs, hands, feet and scalp are mainly affected. They are advised to use Aveeno, QV cream, (QV do a range of products including a soap substitute). My DD can get them it on prescription, but she tends to buy it from Amazon.
The QV cream is excellent for hands.

Gummie Sun 15-Mar-20 15:38:15

I’ve gone back to soap as these anti bac’s have made my knuckles very sore. I feel like an obsessive hand washer now and my hands are very sore.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Mar-20 09:02:58

This make:
www.skinsureinternational.com/products.aspx
was developed by a man in his garage for his wife who was a nurse. My son-in-law uses the red one and I've used the blue one myself.
It provides a protective barrier. Some people say it's solved their psoriasis (as it did the investor's wife).
Might be worth a go. DEFINITELY not sticky or oily.

Susan56 Sun 15-Mar-20 08:47:38

I would think he would definitely get some soap and cream on prescription so maybe a visit/phone call to the gp.
As others have said,apply cream at night and then cotton gloves on top.
Hope it gets sorted,the school need to review their policy.Its not as if every child will be bringing in their own soap/cream.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 08:08:33

O'Keeffe's Working Hands (available from Toolstation and Screwfix), large size, is the best thing I've found - especially applied before bed - to save dried out skin.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 08:01:50

Plain old aqueous cream is not perfectly adequate for use as an emollient.

The National Eczema Society states that Aqueous cream should never be used as a leave-on emollient as it is likely to exacerbate, rather than improve, the eczema.

This may not be eczema but the same rules would apply.

Labaik Sat 14-Mar-20 15:56:58

Could you get some hydrocortisone from a chemist? I use betnovate if my hands get that sore but it's obviously prescription only.

V3ra Sat 14-Mar-20 15:45:37

I'd suggest you ring the doctor and tell them the problem with your grandson's sore hands and the rule regarding the need for a prescription.
It's not acceptable for the school to think his hands being in this state because of their products is ok. It's going to put the children off washing their hands.
Whatever happened to care or common sense?

EllanVannin Sat 14-Mar-20 15:31:13

Goodness me, those are sore hands and need to be protected because if the skin breaks you'll have germs etc getting in. This also applies to our own hands too though they're more used to being in water for years.
Just be careful of any splits because viruses like them too !
Any Sudocrem handy ? I've always got a pot of it with visiting children and the odd mishap.

I'd put some soothing cream on at night and a pair of thin cotton gloves, those worn by eczema sufferers. Poor chappie.

Noanana Sat 14-Mar-20 15:22:05

Retired nurse. Hospital soap was awful too. Got it ok’d by infection control and occ health to use soap substitute. Dermol.
Those who had trouble had to have their own named bottle. Put my pharmacy bill up but really helped those affected.
Poor wee soul. Hope his hands feel better soon. Some soothing oat n milk soak may help.

kissngate Sat 14-Mar-20 15:18:54

Buy some coconut oil from supermarket it will make his hands lovely and soft.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:11:55

Aww poor little fella. Must be so sore, I’ve used dove, neutrogena, lacura and aqueous all good creams