Gransnet forums

Chat

Hand cream

(38 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 14-Mar-20 12:28:37

With the increase in hand washing I expect sales of hand cream are booming. So, do you have recommendations or perhaps a favourite you’d like to share.

My grandson is a stickler for washing his hands at school where the soap (when they haven’t run out of it), is very harsh. With all the extra hand washing his little hands have become raw (see photo’s) and without a GPs prescription he is not allowed to take hand cream or his own soap into school. angry

Riverwalk Sat 14-Mar-20 12:49:33

Poor little fella!

It's a reaction to the brutal, probably cheap, soap. No child should end up with hands like that - I think a word at the school is in order.

I'm a nurse and even before Coronavirus was OCD regarding hand hygiene but have never had such bad hands as your DGS.

In the meantime, over the weekend, apply something like Neutrogena or Atrixo.

M0nica Sat 14-Mar-20 13:06:54

Poor child, doesn't having such raw chopped hands mean that any contaminant he gets on his hands is more likely to get into his blood stream through the rawness and cracks.

I too am having that problem - and I do use handcream, but that leaves my hands sticky. Does that mean they are more likely to pick up contaminants from any surface I put them on?

As with everything it is the unforseen problems that are the problem.

threexnanny Sat 14-Mar-20 13:11:38

My DGC has a similar problem this week, although not quite as severe as pictured. I was wondering about a protective barrier cream at night. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 14-Mar-20 13:17:12

I find Dove hand cream very rich and soothing. Could it be suggested that some hand cream is provided by the school due to the soreness of his poor little hands?
Failing that, washing with hot water followed by a cold rinse may help.

rosecarmel Sat 14-Mar-20 13:30:18

Oh my goodness .. They look so tender- I've run into similar myself and have been switching up oils, avocado, olive, coconut, sunflower .. Also applying triple antibiotic ointment .. Maybe some vitamin E oil would help too ..

mumofmadboys Sat 14-Mar-20 13:32:16

Vaseline intensive care cream and cotton gloves over the cream at night may help.

geekesse Sat 14-Mar-20 13:37:06

Plain old aqueous cream is perfectly adequate and costs much less than other hand creams. You can get a big tub from any chemist.

Curlywhirly Sat 14-Mar-20 13:38:04

Maybe slather on a barrier cream just before he goes to school?

grannyactivist Sat 14-Mar-20 13:41:41

Have only just thought that as one of my sons has palmar psoriasis his hands are probably also suffering from the increased hand washing (their 'normal' state often makes me wince).

The school is subject to County Council rules that state soap and hand cream can only be sent for use in school if there is a GPs prescription. confused angry

My favourite hand cream for sore, chapped hands is Neutrogena.

rosecarmel Sat 14-Mar-20 13:54:40

His little hands need a protective barrier that softens but also something to prevent infection as they are already so very raw and irritated ..

SueDonim Sat 14-Mar-20 15:01:51

I’ve not found anything to beat Neutrogena. There was also a thread on GN about the merits of udder cream, which was v popular offshore. My Dh used to buy it from a vetinerary chemist.

There are also lotions that protects hands. Dermagard, or Gloves-in-a-Bottle that act as a barrier.

Labaik Sat 14-Mar-20 15:06:09

Yes; I've used Neutrogena for years [developed for Scandinavian fishermen I believe]. I do find Aveeno very good and also E45. I'd worry that barrier cream would make hand washing less effective? I also find that drying my hands thoroughly after washing stop them getting so sore.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 14-Mar-20 15:11:55

Aww poor little fella. Must be so sore, I’ve used dove, neutrogena, lacura and aqueous all good creams

kissngate Sat 14-Mar-20 15:18:54

Buy some coconut oil from supermarket it will make his hands lovely and soft.

Noanana Sat 14-Mar-20 15:22:05

Retired nurse. Hospital soap was awful too. Got it ok’d by infection control and occ health to use soap substitute. Dermol.
Those who had trouble had to have their own named bottle. Put my pharmacy bill up but really helped those affected.
Poor wee soul. Hope his hands feel better soon. Some soothing oat n milk soak may help.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Mar-20 15:31:13

Goodness me, those are sore hands and need to be protected because if the skin breaks you'll have germs etc getting in. This also applies to our own hands too though they're more used to being in water for years.
Just be careful of any splits because viruses like them too !
Any Sudocrem handy ? I've always got a pot of it with visiting children and the odd mishap.

I'd put some soothing cream on at night and a pair of thin cotton gloves, those worn by eczema sufferers. Poor chappie.

V3ra Sat 14-Mar-20 15:45:37

I'd suggest you ring the doctor and tell them the problem with your grandson's sore hands and the rule regarding the need for a prescription.
It's not acceptable for the school to think his hands being in this state because of their products is ok. It's going to put the children off washing their hands.
Whatever happened to care or common sense?

Labaik Sat 14-Mar-20 15:56:58

Could you get some hydrocortisone from a chemist? I use betnovate if my hands get that sore but it's obviously prescription only.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 08:01:50

Plain old aqueous cream is not perfectly adequate for use as an emollient.

The National Eczema Society states that Aqueous cream should never be used as a leave-on emollient as it is likely to exacerbate, rather than improve, the eczema.

This may not be eczema but the same rules would apply.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 08:08:33

O'Keeffe's Working Hands (available from Toolstation and Screwfix), large size, is the best thing I've found - especially applied before bed - to save dried out skin.

Susan56 Sun 15-Mar-20 08:47:38

I would think he would definitely get some soap and cream on prescription so maybe a visit/phone call to the gp.
As others have said,apply cream at night and then cotton gloves on top.
Hope it gets sorted,the school need to review their policy.Its not as if every child will be bringing in their own soap/cream.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Mar-20 09:02:58

This make:
www.skinsureinternational.com/products.aspx
was developed by a man in his garage for his wife who was a nurse. My son-in-law uses the red one and I've used the blue one myself.
It provides a protective barrier. Some people say it's solved their psoriasis (as it did the investor's wife).
Might be worth a go. DEFINITELY not sticky or oily.

Gummie Sun 15-Mar-20 15:38:15

I’ve gone back to soap as these anti bac’s have made my knuckles very sore. I feel like an obsessive hand washer now and my hands are very sore.

MiniMoon Sun 15-Mar-20 16:04:35

My grandsons have inherited a genetic skin condition, x linked ichthiosis. Their arms and legs, hands, feet and scalp are mainly affected. They are advised to use Aveeno, QV cream, (QV do a range of products including a soap substitute). My DD can get them it on prescription, but she tends to buy it from Amazon.
The QV cream is excellent for hands.