Gransnet forums

Chat

Toilet roll still causing problems!!

(45 Posts)
Namsnanny Sun 15-Mar-20 14:25:15

Just made a hasty retreat from lidl as the manager there was trying to limit the amount of toilet tissue some one wanted to buy!
The customer looked in their 20's. And seemed very upset.

Maybe he was shopping for him self and an oap?

MiniMoon Sun 15-Mar-20 16:30:17

A poor harassed assistant in Tesco snapped at my daughter when she remarked upon the lack of flour! It was 10 o'clock in the evening, and it had been a long day. My daughter explained that she didn't want any flour, she was just surprised to see so little. She told the assistant that instead she was panic buying bin bags, wine and doughnuts. The assistant laughed, and said that was sensible panic buying ?.

I can't understand the fuss. The stores will continue to get deliveries. I'm not worried in the slightest.

gillybob Sun 15-Mar-20 17:16:48

We could easily use our own hairdryers at home should things get worse merlot . Problem is my old thing is jammed onto the hot setting . Will have to hold it at arms length I think .shock

SirChenjin Sun 15-Mar-20 17:18:08

There’s always newspapers if we get desperate - the Metro is free from all good stations

Wheniwasyourage Sun 15-Mar-20 17:39:54

Dec46, I have a friend who did exactly what you did, ie picked up 1 of the only 2 packs of toilet paper on the shelf in Tesco's, and a man behind her said to his wife, "That woman just took one of the packs - we could have taken them both", so she had the presence of mind to turn round and say, "Well it's just as well I wasn't panic-buying too, or you wouldn't have got either of them!"

Good for her - and you!

Squiffy Sun 15-Mar-20 17:42:09

Brilliant When!? ???

Daisydoes Sun 15-Mar-20 17:44:10

It is ridiculous!
I went shopping in Tesco yesterday. One of the. Items in my list was 4 toilet rolls.
I had no choice - all that was left were packs of 24.
We will use them all, eventually, so no harm done to us personally, but how blooming ridiculous!

Bodach Sun 15-Mar-20 17:57:38

Take a lesson from Sir Thomas Lipton (1850-1931) the fabulously wealthy Glaswegian tea merchant and avid yachtsman. An ancestor of mine was a crewman on one of his palatial steam yachts, and told the story of how Sir Thomas became concerned about what he regarded as excessive consumption of toilet paper on board. So he paraded the crew, and harangued them about their extravagant habits, finishing with the exhortation, "If I can make do with one and a polisher, so can you!"

pollyperkins Sun 15-Mar-20 18:04:12

Hooray I finally managed to get a single pack of paracetomol for my arthritis. Been sold out in the supermarkets for weeks but they had one left behind the counter in Boots.

SueDonim Sun 15-Mar-20 18:05:23

Bodach’s post reminds of a friend, many years ago. He had several children and he was notoriously mean, so he instigated a loo roll rule - one for the front, one for the back and one for a polish. grin

Jane10 Sun 15-Mar-20 18:07:26

My Dad talked about his army days - one up, one down and a polisher.

Dec46 Sun 15-Mar-20 18:08:44

Brilliant Bodach.

Manmar I think I have an odd sense of humour but i did actually only buy 1 pack of Loo Rolls.

Bravo to your friend When,great comment.I would like to think it made the other shopper think about what they were doing but I doubt it

Auntieflo Sun 15-Mar-20 19:49:54

I was considering buying a pack of long life milk in Aldi on Friday.
We don't have milk in tea, but do with coffee and DH likes his morning cereal.
When I found the space for it, that's all there was, space. Just as a young family had picked up a whole shelf full!
Went home milk less.

B9exchange Sun 15-Mar-20 19:58:31

Don't understand the panic buying of long life milk, it tastes horrible and there will always be fresh milk available?

But also why no washing up liquid or cling film?!!!

notanan2 Sun 15-Mar-20 20:03:13

I think they should change tack and pre package "panic buy" kits that can be purchased near the door/till so that the regular shelves/stock are left for normal shopping instead of banning bulk buying.

People ARE being advised to self isolate and social distance so a degree of bulk buying IS sensible/desirable. They should facilitate it not try to block it.

I say this as someone who prefers lots of little shops but realises I need to change for a bit as daily little shops is less advisable and a bulk buy reduces going out in crowds/shops

notanan2 Sun 15-Mar-20 20:08:03

A "self iso bulk buy" box could contain:

Family box
1 weeks worth of toilet paper for family of 4.
1 pack adult paracetamol 1 bottle calpol
Laundry detergent, hand soap, 4 hand sanitisers and washing up liquid.
Meal plan for 1 week (frozen/non perishables)
2 large UHT milks

Individual box similar

Pet box

Etc.

Let people prepare! In a controlled manner.

SirChenjin Sun 15-Mar-20 20:12:42

That makes absolute sense notanan - good idea

Dec46 Sun 15-Mar-20 20:14:34

not many people have milk delivered to their door and may not be able to get to the shops to buy fresh milk so Long Life milk is very useful. I can't actually taste the difference between the 2 so always use Long Life Milk

TerriBull Sun 15-Mar-20 20:17:19

Rod Liddle wrote in the Sunday Times today "Spare a thought for two fatalities associated with Covid 19, but not included in the official figures, were those of Doreen Noakes and her husband Reginald of Warminster, Wilts. They suffocated in their sleep when an estimated 11 tons of hoarded lavatory paper smashed through from their attic into their bedroom beneath." # Death by toilet paper so sad and utterly avoidable

Manmar2 Sun 15-Mar-20 20:28:21

I am sure you did only buy one pack Dec46 . My apologies for misunderstanding. You are right, it probably did make the other shopper think. I hope so. Panic buying and needless hoarding is just plain selfish.