Gransnet forums

Chat

Rare? Perhaps extinct !

(52 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Mon 16-Mar-20 11:28:31

Just done an on-line search to buy/order a thermometer.

Nothing (No Stock) but I'll keep trying.

Buttonjugs Wed 18-Mar-20 12:55:12

You can’t always tell if you have a temperature @davidhs and @lancslass1. I often feel like I have one with a cold and only once has my temperature been elevated, although I felt the same as I had the other times. That was last December with a viral chest infection. @Crazygran I feel exactly the same, if I’ll for a few days means lifelong immunity it will be worth it.

Camelotclub Wed 18-Mar-20 13:07:21

Try Argos site

KathrynP Wed 18-Mar-20 13:22:43

Just because you are burning hot and feeling rough doesn't automatically mean you have a temperature. Two days ago I was burning hot all over and feeling as though I was going to self combust, was shivering and cold to touch, also had a really burning rash on my legs and was sure I had a temperature. Took my temp and it 36.2 totally normal for me. It is probably a reaction to chemo drugs but fortunately the symptoms are receding now 48 hours later but boy did I feel rough. Kept checking my temp and it stayed at 36.2 throughout. Of course this may just be me we all react differently.

Greengage Wed 18-Mar-20 13:49:34

Can't understand why you wouldn't already have a thermometer in your medicine cabinet/1st aid box!

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Mar-20 14:00:37

Try ebay.
I bought one for my daughter yesterday from there. It was branded and definitely a “real” product.
Will come via Royal Mail.
£8.50
Digital.

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Mar-20 14:02:05

Think this is interesting:
www.seattlechildrens.org/conditions/a-z/fever-myths-versus-facts/

Ohmother Wed 18-Mar-20 14:19:52

Margs depends where you stick it I should think. ?

Millie22 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:49:41

I've been out today to try and buy hand gel .... nothing. The £1 bottle is £10 on eBay. My husband needs it for work as he is on public transport a lot. I'm not happy that he works without any.

Floradora9 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:25:47

I ordered one from Amazon some days ago and it will not arrive until April sometime.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Mar-20 15:29:26

Plent of time yet Floradora, this virus will be doing the rounds until at least September when the other bugs are due to form.

Greciangirl Wed 18-Mar-20 15:29:38

Iceland are useless.
I visited yesterday morning at 9am, and there were very long queues, mostly people under 70years old with trolleys piled high.
If as quoted, the shelves were virtually empty, then I don’t see the point.

Jamcee Wed 18-Mar-20 15:33:30

I got a thermometer from Wilkos for £5. There were quite a few on the shelf.

grannie7 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:56:05

I ordered toilet rolls from Amazon end of February they were to be delivered next week, because of that order.I have been getting them for every one else who are working all day.

This morning I got an email to say they had cancelled the order.I am 76 and DH is 78 as we been told to self isolated by our GP, I am not sure what to do.Pretty mad at Amazon

chrissyh Wed 18-Mar-20 16:06:18

Jaycee5 - People have been told to stop taking Ibruprofen, that is why paracetamol is selling out.

Thanks to those who recommended ebay for a thermometer as I was able to get one on there.

BlueBelle Wed 18-Mar-20 16:58:49

Grannie do you do fb if so there are lots of local help available people offering to shop for others and telling where things are available
I can only speak for my locality but QD and Savers both had loo rolls in my area yesterday

CBBL Wed 18-Mar-20 18:05:25

We are experiencing difficulties with finding things like Toilet Rolls, too! My hubby has skin cancer and cannot use cheaper products that tend to make his skin sore very quickly.
We were also unable to find Heinz Baked Beans, and will try Morrison's tomorrow, in the hope of getting what we need, as I have heard they are limiting the number of items of certain "in demand" products.

Shizam Wed 18-Mar-20 23:52:06

Found a thermometer from when kids were young. Amazingly still worked. I’m on the cold side of average, which explains why I’m always freezing.
And local Budgens was full of produce. Pricy, but they’re stocked up and rationing the loo rolls!

Joplin Thu 19-Mar-20 01:43:14

Aldi had a good stock of loo paper last week & said there wouldn't be a shortage. Better value than Tesco's own.

anxiousgran Thu 19-Mar-20 08:26:31

Just heard a quote on the radio from Ghandi, “There is enough for everyone’s need, but not for everyone’s greed”.

Exactly. I saw a woman piling sanitary towels into her trolley, along with all the toothpaste of a certain type. I would welcome rationing, we can’t rely on people’s altruism.
Someone told me yesterday he was having trouble getting nappies and formula for his 8 month old. Such a worry for parents.

Tbh and I am despairing of people’s behaviour.

Sparklefizz Thu 19-Mar-20 08:45:27

NotSpaghetti When do you expect delivery of your thermometer?

After reading posts on here, I looked for my old thermometer and couldn't find it. After many house moves, it seems to have gone astray. Eventually I found one that seemed ok on Amazon but it won't arrive until 4th - 16th April. There was one in Argos but I am in isolation so couldn't go and pick it up.

Jaycee5 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:16:20

Chrissyh Ibuprofen is unavailable too. CBC is still recommending Ibuprofen and it seems that the advice on Ibuprofen is based on a couple of apocraphal stories. One of the side affects has always been listed as possible breathing problems though so it is probably not the best.
Basically, you can't get much of anything. I'm getting low on allergy meds. Hope people don't start buying them. When they panic they just grab what they see.

Jaycee5 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:16:54

CDC not CBC

Jaycee5 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:18:57

CBBL I bought some paper napkins that look quite soft. It might be worth trying them if you can find them. They aren't much more expensive than toilet paper if at all.

Sussexborn Thu 19-Mar-20 11:44:05

Professor on tv said that there hadn’t been any scientific studies on ibuprofen one way or the other. Best to check with your pharmacist.

Not sure if paper napkins would block the drains. Perhaps tearing them up before flushing would help.

Jaycee5 Thu 19-Mar-20 15:16:12

Sussexborn Hadn't thought about that. I'm not using them yet. I might try again to get some toilet paper. I haven't run out yet but I don't buy in large quantities so the napkins were a fall back if I do get ill. Only one packet anyway. I have a dry cough and headache but no fever so I think it is just my allergies but I don't want to inflict myself on anyone else just in case.