Gransnet forums

Chat

Welcome to Gransnet

(232 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 16-Mar-20 13:53:45

We just wanted to wish a warm welcome to all new members of Gransnet. flowers

In these difficult times, whether you are self-isolating or just looking for friendly chat as a distraction from the constant bad news, having an online community available at all hours of the day and night has never been more important. Gransnet users are always ready to offer support, conversation and (virtual) company.

So please pour yourself a cuppa (or a wine) and use this thread to introduce yourself. brew And if you get stuck we have a page on getting started, which you can find here.

Also, if you're looking for an easy first thread to post on, look out for the regular Good Morning thread where users greet each other every morning.

Debs54 Sat 18-Apr-20 19:56:10

Thank you Charleygirl I would love to join a meetup near me if there is one. And thank you so much for welcoming me. I’ve already warned my husband I may become obsessed with being on this website. ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 18-Apr-20 21:47:45

Debs I do not know what the word housework means and no doubt you will join that merry club!!!

Karen005 Sat 25-Apr-20 21:09:10

Hello... I’m a new member and having never been on any kind of social media/chat room site before I am finding my feet a little. I came across the site as I was on Google trying to find an old recipe my mum used to cook from an ancient Be Rol cookery pamphlet. Voila... it was on this site and I was so pleased to find you all..

Charleygirl5 Sun 26-Apr-20 09:56:25

WelcomeKaren so pleased that you found us lot. May I suggest you start with soop's kitchen and Good Morning- two gentle posts and you can find your way around from there. You will soon find the posts you may want to run a mile from. Enjoy.

Tere53 Mon 27-Apr-20 08:00:48

Hello , just joined a couple of days ago , I'm finding my way around and enjoying reading the threads . So glad I found you , little bit about myself ? I have two grown up children , 41 and 35 my daughter has 3 young boys . My son lives with me , , I am his full time carer as he has severe Learning disabilities so we are isolating as day care centre is closed . Strange times , stay safe everyone . shamrock

Charleygirl5 Mon 27-Apr-20 09:30:27

You are more than welcome Tere and it takes time to find your way around the threads and the ones you like the most. In more normal times some of us have meetups for coffee and/or lunch which you may enjoy.

Tere53 Mon 27-Apr-20 19:48:19

Thank you , That would be great to.meet up locally at some point in the future

Skuj Mon 27-Apr-20 23:12:20

Hi. Just found this site. Looking forward to finding out about what goes on here. ?

Marydoll Mon 27-Apr-20 23:28:57

Welcome all the newcomers. Charleygirl usually kindly does the honours, but I just happened to be passing.
If you are looking for a gentle way in, try the Good Morning thread or Soop's Kitchen, where you will be assured of a warm welcome.

Woolly Fri 01-May-20 16:19:41

Hello everyone, another newbie here! I'm a knitter (hence the yarn-related username!) and if I don't find some friends to chat to, I'm going to run out of yarn, as I'm knitting for Britain at the mo. smile Looking forward to meeting you all!

Charleygirl5 Fri 01-May-20 22:19:49

Welcome Woolly. If you read some of the replies to recent newbies you will see the best threads into which you can dip your toe.

Abby4834 Sun 03-May-20 10:34:10

I enjoy reading all your blogs. Friendly chat is wonderful.
And ideas.

Charleygirl5 Sun 03-May-20 13:03:40

Nice to "meet" you Abby. There are some seriously nice people on GN but like all walks of life- not everybody is tarred with the same brush. Enjoy ambling around and when we are back to normal in the dim and distant future maybe you would like to join a local meetup.

I go to two and with one in particular, a newbie came and we were certain her H thought she was joining the axe murderers convention! He was amazed to discover when she returned that we were all normal and she was unharmed!

Kestrel Mon 04-May-20 22:15:29

Hi All

Great to find Gransnet. My grandkids live on the other side of the world - so nice to find others in the same situation and to hear about their experiences.

Charleygirl5 Tue 05-May-20 08:51:26

Kestrel welcome- not only GC live overseas- many of the GNs do too- anywhere from France to Australia.

Kestrel Tue 05-May-20 14:36:36

Thanks Charleygirl5 - it's good to be part of a global community in that case smile.

LorB Tue 05-May-20 15:31:40

Hello,
I have also just joined, I'm a grandparent and have my 9 year old granddaughter living with me.
Hard work in lockdown!

Charleygirl5 Tue 05-May-20 18:11:26

Welcome LorB - a cat is easier I would have thought- I will stick with what I have!

Bartsmaw Wed 06-May-20 07:59:34

Good morning ? from Fife. Love Gransnet been more of a lurker really but made a few changes this week and this is no three.
Great to have finally got myself started. Have a Blessed day all. Stay safe and healthy

Marydoll Wed 06-May-20 08:50:11

Bartsmaw, hoping to see more of you and hoping we can eventually have another meetup in Glasgow.

Ju123 Mon 11-May-20 18:15:28

Hi I'm new to this. I'm not usually a group joiner but I am a new gran to a five month old little girl and lockdown is an unprecedented time. I'm from Wales so we currently have different restrictions to England. I would be grateful for any advice or support

Charleygirl5 Mon 11-May-20 18:47:14

Welcome Jul23. Once life returns to normal. if it ever does, you may want to join one of the meetups close to you. I am assuming that there are several in Wales!

There is plenty of advice and support but if it is for something specific it would be better to open your own thread. Two good threads to start you off are Good Morning and Soop's kitchen and you will be welcomed in both. Getting used to them will ease you in gently.

Ju123 Mon 11-May-20 19:55:30

Thank you for the welcome. Hopefully there are meet ups in Wales.

DandelionClock Mon 11-May-20 22:58:35

Hi everyone smile I'm new to Grandnet but, been with Mumsnet for 16+ years. I'm not a Grand Mother but, I have one grown up Ds who has left home, and a young teen Dd at home. I wanted to see if I'd feel more comfortable here as I don't really feel so at home with the 'youngsters' on Mn these days, and at 56, I'm probably more at home here anyway in lots of ways so, I hope you don't mind me dipping in and out.

DandelionClock Mon 11-May-20 22:59:27

*Gransnet hmm even though I'm sure you are all Grand ;)