Gransnet forums

Chat

Solitary confinement

(133 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 16-Mar-20 20:35:20

So we old people should be staying home, isolated, for 12 weeks.
I understand that this government has decimated the NHS and knows it can’t cope with millions of sick old people but this advice is not realistic.
I’m used to spending most of my time alone and have family nearby to help but 3 months of solitary confinement would drive me bonkers. Many others, with fewer resources, could be found dead because they ran out of food or money for the meter or the will to live.
Do you intend to spend that long cut off from humanity?

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 12:04:34

Changing the clock......ah yes - definitely something to look forward to! smile

Nannylovesshopping Wed 18-Mar-20 11:26:44

My cheer me thought today is better to self isolate in the coming hopefully better weather than in the depths of winter, changing the clock at end of month is very cheering to me. Apologies if someone else up thread has posted same thoughts?

Pittcity Wed 18-Mar-20 11:20:15

Well I have been clearing cupboards and have assembled all the part used mini toiletries brought home from holiday over the years and found some hand gel and a half bottle of multi purpose soap. These will all be used before I buy any more.
I seem to be spending more money than usual on "just in case..."

Nonnie Wed 18-Mar-20 09:54:00

Laughterlines Wed 18-Mar-20 09:23:18 I like that. We probably need the Borrowers as well because DH never puts anything in the same place twice!

Daffy flowers

Our GP surgery is closed and all appointment are by phone. Presumably if more is required arrangements would be made. GP just called DH instead of a routine appointment and DH told him we are under House Arrest! Well we have definitely been told by our DSs that we must not leave the house.

GrannyLaine Wed 18-Mar-20 09:36:54

Good question ReadyMeals Anyone on here have contacts?

ReadyMeals Wed 18-Mar-20 09:34:32

And how are the drug dealers coping with the lockdown? There could be good coming from this along with the bad.

ReadyMeals Wed 18-Mar-20 09:33:45

I'd actually find it quite comforting to have police and army all over our streets. In recent years we have been plagued by crime including burglaries. I bet the crime rate plummets with houses occupied all day and police everywhere questioning everyone. Can't wait till it reaches the UK!

Laughterlines Wed 18-Mar-20 09:23:18

Idea Copied from Facebook to save arguments

For couples suddenly isolated together get an imaginary co worker to blame everything on .

In our house “Cheryl” keeps leaving dirty cups everywhere and doesn’t wash them up and we really don’t know what to do about her.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 09:17:02

There seems a dichotomy between not going out and arranging for over 70s to go to the supermarket. I appreciate this is now and things may change. Surely we will have to have deliveries?

A group in our small town, a baker, greengrocer, etc. have arranged to take joint orders and deliver. I would have thought that is the only way to remain socially isolated. Or aren't you bothered at the moment?

Mrst1405 Wed 18-Mar-20 09:14:58

Good to read this thread , it has some good uplifting views. We're in total lock down where we live in Spain. It's really severe. We cant leave the apartment at all unless going to a food shop or pharmacy. Only one person can go. No walks, even running up stairs in apartment blocks, is banned. If you have a dog you can go out very close to your home . Again only one person. There are police and army about and you will be stopped and asked where you are going. It's quite frightening and I really hope it doesn't go on too long. The good side is , as pensioners our income is secured and we're used to spending 24/7 together. I'm knitting, papercrafting and watching a lot of box sets. It's the coffee out and social interaction I miss.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:58:19

gabriella good thinking

GabriellaG54 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:56:45

It's no good if supermarkets announce priority for elderly and vulnerable shoppers for say, a 2 hour period after opening, if they, the shoppers cannot use their bus passes until 09.30 which is when the scramble with mums, begins after they drop off their children at school.
I have rung Surrey County Council about this, this morning and although their website shows it to be 'open' right now and open since 08.30, a recorded message says 9am with no explanation.
My own BC is open at usual time.
I suggest that bus pass holders can start to use them at 07.30 so we can shop and get home before the rest of the population.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:48:21

Good to read all the posts and the sensible advise.

Humour is a lifter as well. I’m sure as I posted on another thread we will get used to this new normal, as I think we are in for the long haul.

I am more or less in the same boat as you gabriella with regard to wipes, soap etc.

We are away at the moment and self isolating on holiday? in a cottage. The only chink in our armour will be filling up with petrol where I can wear disposable gloves except the bloody pad that won’t believe anything except a finger. Did think about getting those gloves that work but pointless really as they will be smothered in the virus.

GabriellaG54 Wed 18-Mar-20 08:36:35

A bit like US prisons where, if you want a shower, you hang a towel through the bars of your cell. ??

Lavazza1st Wed 18-Mar-20 00:05:33

@Anno so sorry for your toothache! Hope you get a dental app soon!

@daffydilly so sorry. Youre doing an excellent job in difficult circumstances. If your Dad is happy to, Id say hug your Dad because at 80 he could go at any time for any reason. My FIL died suddenly and none of us got the chance to spend time with him.

I havent had time to get bored yet, but heres something for anyone who is : people.com/travel/stuck-at-home-these-12-famous-museums-offer-virtual-tours-you-can-take-on-your-couch/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20200313&utm_term=7728056&fbclid=IwAR00Pm25v8_sQAUg4A4UaQzxpAlXaU4W0gdbC5rAkhmlmVgnY70PQgFz4pI

Pussycat2012 Tue 17-Mar-20 23:27:00

Susiewoosie and Gabriella, thank you both for adding calmness and clarity to a somewhat challenging, confusing time for us all. We can all only take each new day as it comes and remember there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel.?

Bluecat Tue 17-Mar-20 23:23:06

Just noticed the post about the Queen self isolating at the Castle. So funny.

Bluecat Tue 17-Mar-20 23:01:16

Being alone is a real challenge. Being cooped up with loved ones is another. The alternative, however, is much, much worse. Do you really want to take the risk?

People talk a lot about the community. Others talk about the war time spirit. Anyone who really cares about other people will do everything they can to self-isolate. The only way for us to keep the death rate down, and to prevent people suffering terribly because the hospitals are overwhelmed, is for us all to change our way of life.

We have to consider ourselves and everyone else as potentially infectious. People can be free of symptoms but still shedding the virus. It is in water droplets when they cough. It may be airborne in the breath. It lives on surfaces for ages - think days rather than hours - so that is everything they touch. And it is not just them. It could be you who is spreading it.

I know it all sounds grim but half the world wouldn't be in turmoil if it wasn't so bad. We have to isolate, not only for our own sakes but to give the NHS a chance. Even if it means we can't be with our friends or family for a while, we really do have to stay at home.

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 22:49:37

Thanks MegrannyW1
I have just 2 x 9 packs of loo roll and 3 packs of 4 tablets of Palmolive soap. No hand sanitizer as I wear medi gloves from Boots when out. 2 packs of Dettol surface wipes and that's it, hygiene-wise.
PHE say that plenty of sleep can boost your immune system and I do sleep well.
Probably 10-11 hours now, 8 at night and a couple in the afternoon if not doing anything much.
I'll still go out for my daily run at 6am and to shop but only twice a week.
My AC and GC are still working in their workplaces.
2 of them cannot do their jobs at home anyway.
We'll all manage if we're sensible and not selfish.

welbeck Tue 17-Mar-20 22:21:23

exactly sally.
some people seem to have a resentful attitude as if they are being punished by being advised to keep away from other people etc.
this is the most pragmatic approach, to try to stay alive and well enough to enjoy being alive.
i dont understand some people's attiitudes.
no one is punishing or making unreasonable demands on you.
not only is your own life at risk but everyone else's.
we must take all measure possible to limit the damage.

daffy, if i were you, i would either give up the job or give up any contact with parent. dont think you can do both.
or at least i couldnt take the risk. money does not compare.

suziewoozie Tue 17-Mar-20 22:16:26

Sally what a heartening post - sounds like an amazing phone call. And I agree absolutely with your sentiments about our responsibilities.

SallyB392 Tue 17-Mar-20 21:57:37

I received a call from NHS (i think our surgery)to say that I am in the high risk group, and should therefore isolate myself from public contact. I should if at all possible not go to shops, libraries or the homes of others unless they are also isolating.

I'm encouraged to go for walks out in the open. It then went on to suggesting ways that I could access shopping and provided details of our local green grocers who is delivering veg or fruit boxes with free delivery, then the local butchers, fish mongers, chemists. Told me that the library could deliver books, audio cassettes, DVD's.
Then went on to tell me to contact GP surgery if I had any concerns.
Five minutes later my husband had the same call, as did my friend down the road.

We have spent the last 2 days running around trying to find food and loo roll (groan), sorting out blood tests, and meds. From our perspective we know, and indeed completely understand that there are limitations on what the NHS can do. As things are there are neither the beds or the ventilators to provide for everyone, and if given the choice, doctors have to offer the intensive care to younger, fitter people more likely to survive than older people or those with lo g term conditions.

Everyone has a role to play in this crisis, those of us over 70 & or with long term conditions have a responsibility to stay well, and if that means some form of home arrest, so be it. That's what's needed for now.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 21:31:28

That’s really bad Grammaretto ! We have regular bin services here, whereabouts ( which County) are you in?
You should complain.

suziewoozie Tue 17-Mar-20 21:17:20

Speaking of the Q, I wonder when she’ll address her loyal subjects and wish them well and thank all the amazing people who are working their socks off to prepare for the troubles ahead and all the communities who are rallying round to help.? She and the rest are being very quiet. Perhaps they’re too busy sourcing toilet rolls and hand sanitiser.

Grammaretto Tue 17-Mar-20 19:13:06

Granny23 grin

We left 3 messages with social services to find out if anything could be done to provide some help for my in-laws who are both in their 90s. We have had no response.

This is as a result of the day centres closing and their home helps leaving because they themselves are in the vulnerable category.

Call me a sceptic but I don't trust these council officials.

All the council services have ceased or are stopping soon. Why are our bins no longer being emptied?
I would have thought that was a priority.
Coronavirus is being used as a convenient screen.