Gransnet forums

Chat

Solitary confinement

(133 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 16-Mar-20 20:35:20

So we old people should be staying home, isolated, for 12 weeks.
I understand that this government has decimated the NHS and knows it can’t cope with millions of sick old people but this advice is not realistic.
I’m used to spending most of my time alone and have family nearby to help but 3 months of solitary confinement would drive me bonkers. Many others, with fewer resources, could be found dead because they ran out of food or money for the meter or the will to live.
Do you intend to spend that long cut off from humanity?

Granny23 Sun 22-Mar-20 08:42:18

Someone above asked about the Drug Dealers. I do have a contact - gardener/handyman, former user, clean 20+ years, but lives in the roughest part of nearby town. He predicts a dire situation for three main reasons.

1) The Drug Barons have a hold over their dealers/pushers, usually threat of extreme violence to the pusher or their family. The top dogs will insist that their underlings continue to sell but that will be increasingly difficult with so many punters out of work/strapped for cash.

2) Supplies of 'good stuff' from abroad will be curtailed, so the dealers will make their own, cut it with God knows what noxious substances and desperate addicts will use it anyway.

3) Stay at home policies and the closure of drug addiction related groups/clinics will mean that there is no support or rehab for those trying to quit.

My pal predicts a huge rise in drug related deaths and widespread violence among the drug cartels, the dealers and their clients.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Mar-20 08:33:31

MamaCaz, my printer stopped working properly when I changed the cartridges recently - printing in green and yellow only, with lines through it, making odd noises, then stopping altogether. I followed a YouTube tutorial on how to strip down and clean a printer using window spray (the clear stuff, not Windolene!) very carefully. To my surprise it worked, and we’re up and running again.

MamaCaz Sun 22-Mar-20 07:40:45

rubysong
MamaCaz my printer isn't working at the moment either. Have you had upgrades from Windows recently? I think that is what my problem is.

In my case, I am fairly certain that it's an ink problem, as I've hardly used it recently. I had similar problems a few months back, and eventually solved it by changing all the colour cartridges, even though they were still half full. I think it's the black cartridge at fault now. I've changed it, and am hoping that it will start working again today. Fingers crossed, as I won't be buying a new printer any time soon!

I hope you manage to sort yours out today ☺

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Mar-20 00:01:41

We're officially just distancing, not isolating, but are limiting forays outside to walks and gardening. I seem to be doing more exercise than usual - apart from the yomp around the area today, skillfully avoiding dog walkers and joggers and the odd wandering child, I've done my yogalates and one of the GN exercise videos (walk a mile). I've made soup from some nearly-past-their-best tomatoes, sorted some birthday presents to be sent directly to two of the grandsons next week, tried to source one of the much-advertised Portals to make keeping in touch with the family easier (they're out of stock everywhere sad). Listened to a lot of radio, sent a few texts, did some jigsaw, read a bit. DS, DDIL, DH and I are competing against each other in a quiz posted on their local Facebook page - we've each done it separately, allowing 30 minutes, and we get the answers on Monday. We'll be doing it every weekend, and crowning an overall winner some time in the hopefully not too dim and distant future. Oh, and I've looked into downloading Hilary Mantel's latest tome as an audio book from our libraries service. As soon as I've finished my current book I'll do that, and have nearly 40 hours of entertainment to accompany a bit of cupboard and cellar sorting, etc. It's about time I did something useful. smile

rubysong Sat 21-Mar-20 23:41:25

MamaCaz my printer isn't working at the moment either. Have you had upgrades from Windows recently? I think that is what my problem is. I'm going to attempt to uninstall printer driver tomorrow then reinstall it. I can't take it to the menders as I normally would.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 23:21:13

I did the Tai Chi that was linked to on another thread which I can't find now.

mbmb Sat 21-Mar-20 17:52:34

I've made some soup with bendy veg from the bottom of the fridge. I'm determined not to waste a thing and to eke out my stores as long as possible.

I washed my hair in a probably doomed attempt not to allow standard to fall too fair. Had phone chats and facetime with DGD. As my 16 year old GS is off school now and disappointed not to be taking exams, I sent him via Amazon a box of 48 creme eggs - his favourite

What with facebook and gransnet it feels like it's been a busy day.

Sparklefizz Sat 21-Mar-20 17:22:38

My phone soon stopped ringing and pinging after the initial flurry of calls.

Grammaretto Sat 21-Mar-20 17:18:42

We've had our first row! not ever, but since we have had to be isolating.
He is miserable. He is such a sociable creature whereas I can enjoy solitude.
What a miss match and how we survived 50 years, I do not know!
I think I may have to open the bar...........medicinal of course.

Luckygirl Sat 21-Mar-20 16:49:41

Killer sudoko - well done - how I wish I had a mathematical brain!

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 16:46:15

Have done two crosswords, one killer suduko, read threads here, had two liquid replacement meals and a sleep on the sofa .

MamaCaz Sat 21-Mar-20 16:42:18

I was up at 6am, and have had a busy day. It started slowly, with a leisurely breakfast, doing some language learning on Duolingo at the same time. Then I finished a pair of gloves that I started making yesterday as a little birthday gift for someone.
Then 8-ish I had a video chat with DS2 and dgd. After I'd got dressed, I put some washing on, then went out into the garden to lift some self-down seedlings for the dgc, who are about to start a little garden plot each.

Next, I had to help OH with some printing, and try, unsuccessfully, to work out why the printer isn't working properly.

Since then, I have started cutting some fabric up for my next craft project. Broke off briefly from that to have a chat with DS2 and family, when they stopped by to collect the plants and bring me a bag of garden compost. (We are in isolation, so the compost will be left where it is for a few days, and the conversation was conducted from the upstairs window - not sure what the neighbours made of that!)

Next, a long Whatsapp video chat with my mum.
Only a week ago, I would have laughed at that idea, as she struggles to do anything beyond opening emails on her tablet, but since Ds2 remotely set Whatsapp up on it for her last Sunday, she has amazed me by not only managing to 'accept' my calls, but even initiating them herself on a couple of occasions,

That was followed by a short but brisk walk across our local fields, vast enough to give anyone else a wide berth should it be necessary, though I didn't see another soul anyway.

Now, I'm relaxing , but might go do some more crafting soon.
Actually, no - the mention of cake has set my tastebuds tingling, so I might go make a tiny microwave cake and use up the solitary lemon that has been sitting in my fridge for weeks.

It's exhausting, this self-isolation, grin

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:56:57

I gave the lawn it’s first cut today, it’s a bit damp, but it looks better, lots of wild violets again this year.
We’ve cleared a corner of the garden for a compost heap and figured out where to put small poly tunnel. We also cut down the Virginia creeper as it’s lifting the garage tiles and trying to climb into the oil tank.
I took the last piece of Christmas cake out of the freezer this morning so I’m off to have ‘a cup of tea and a slice of cake’

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 15:52:46

Do you have someone you can phone, Sheana?

If not, you can 'chat' on here, there is always someone around.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 15:51:43

Watched my DGC having fun in their garden, courtesy of WhatsApp! Chatted to DDs courtesy of Facetime.
Wandered around the garden deciding what to grow this year and decided veg is the best thing. Dig for Victory

Sheana61 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:42:30

Wish I had phone calls to ignore

Iam64 Wed 18-Mar-20 20:05:37

Same here, phone calls from a couple of friends who live a couple of hours drive away, we do meet up but have fallen into the habit of text/email rather than phone chats. Great to be back on the landline.
I cleared out the CD rack, culled anything scratched or not wanted. All covers and shelves washed down with hot soapy water. Tomorrow I'm starting on the cupboard in the dog room. (that could take till September, when we may be allowed out again. )

MamaCaz Wed 18-Mar-20 19:01:30

Sparklefizz
I find my phone is constantly ringing and pinging, watermeadow because all my isolated friends and family are deciding to phone for a chat.

OH and I have found the same thing. I know we should be both grateful and pleased that so many people want to chat with us, but to be honest, it's reached the point now where we are both uttering not-very-polite things every time one of the phones rings or pings!
There have been two more pings while I was writing this post!

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Mar-20 18:51:45

I find my phone is constantly ringing and pinging, watermeadow because all my isolated friends and family are deciding to phone for a chat. I have not crossed much off my list!

watermeadow Wed 18-Mar-20 18:13:31

So, those of us under house arrest, what have you done today? I mowed the grass for the first time this year. It was very long after a very warm winter. Also made 2 cushions.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Mar-20 17:22:41

Yes, me too. smile

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:08:00

Yes I quite like the idea of a slower pace of life. Not that it is ever rushed?

Iam64 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:04:44

I tick three of the reasons to self isolate and have been reducing social contact for the past week. We usually look after our young grandchildren during the week but their parents told us at the weekend, they'd manage somehow as they want to protect us. We've face timed the children (and their parents of course). We are thankful we can do that but we miss them lots and that will continue for at least three months.
We're walking the dogs twice a day. Plan to make use of our local Sainsbury opening at 7.30 am for us oldies. Our village shop has started a list of people in our group who may need food delivering. There's also a facebook group, initiated by a couple of people in our local Labour Party but now involving lots of non Labour people. They are supporting the food banks and helping isolated older people get prescriptions, library books and so on.
If something positive emerges in our rather fragmented communities as a result of this awful virus, that will be something to cherish.
Our garden needs attention and if/when the rain ever stops and the weather warms up a bit, we can enjoy that.
Keep safe everyone and try to make the most of a slower pace of life

Nonnie Wed 18-Mar-20 12:48:08

DS and DiL keep doing their best for us and saying that soon it will be warm enough for us to all sit in the garden and eat and chat together, just with a big space around each of us!

undecided Wed 18-Mar-20 12:27:51

Best thing is to take it day by day. Only thing I really hope is that we can still walk the dog or at least go for a walk even if we have to avoid people. Just the fresh air lifts my mood! If we are not allowed to do that then I will feel miserable - otherwise with the internet and social media and Granset we will survive!!! It is so nice to hear from people all over the place and to see all the different ways of managing things.