Gransnet forums

Chat

Daft names

(67 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 16-Mar-20 22:15:08

How about this for a ridiculous name?
San Francisco mayor's name is London Breed ?

Grannyguitar Tue 17-Mar-20 12:46:04

I know of someone called Dickon Head. What were his parents thinking!

RosesAreRed21 Tue 17-Mar-20 12:57:13

I worked in a doctors surgery for years and we had some really corkers. One of them was Annette Curtain, Another was was Donald Dack, Charlie Chaplin (a 2 weeks old baby) and many many more.

missdeke Tue 17-Mar-20 12:58:22

There was a lad called John Parts, who joined the army as a Private.........

rubysong Tue 17-Mar-20 13:05:12

There was (or maybe still is) an antique dealer in Plymouth called Robin Bastard. I used to work in the motor tax office and when we had written the tax disk we had to go to the front desk and call out the person's name. Thankfully I never had to take his disk, I don't think I could have called that out.

Musicgirl Tue 17-Mar-20 13:07:00

At my school there was a Russell Sprout but I still think my favourite is a work colleague of my dad's from many years ago called Mr Sorearse. Apparently he pronounced it Sorryahsay but l can't imagine many others did....

pamdixon Tue 17-Mar-20 13:32:20

I remember meeting someone, in the US, years ago called Candy Barr.

BettyBoop49 Tue 17-Mar-20 13:37:26

I went to school with Noleen Alphet
( No lean - all fat) Poor girl. She suffered !

CherryCezzy Tue 17-Mar-20 13:47:02

A few months back I started reading a medical paper, it was 102 pages long and quite repetitive, it was written by a man called Evan Longor.

chicken Tue 17-Mar-20 13:52:28

I was at school with a girl called Crystal Dimond. She had sisters called Ruby and Pearl.

mimismo Tue 17-Mar-20 13:53:05

First names here in Spain, females, Pains (Dolores), Mountain (Montaña), Valley (Valle), Immaculate (Inmaculada), Trinity (Trinidad), Olvido (I forget) and a long etc.

catladyuk Tue 17-Mar-20 13:57:25

A friend has the surname Bate so you can imagine the comments when at school for her husband and his brother when young ..... master b....!

Rosina Tue 17-Mar-20 14:19:59

I had a friend from a very large family; one of her aunts was called 'Girl' . Evidently the parents had run out of ideas so she, the youngest baby, became 'Girl Evans'.

optimist Tue 17-Mar-20 14:28:26

A child I taught was called Tess Tickles

Esmerelda Tue 17-Mar-20 14:37:34

My father worked with a lady called Ruth LeSerge (it was her married name so no fault of her parents). However it's best to remember that marriage can cause havoc for us ladies and, if your name is Emma, do NOT marry a man called Royds!

busyb Tue 17-Mar-20 14:42:48

During my family history research I came across a family of Reynolds who names their children, Major, Baron, Bent and Scutt. I couldn't believe anyone would call their children the last two strange names but as they belonged to a well known family of gunmakers it was easy to check out and Bent and Scutt they were!

Maremia Tue 17-Mar-20 14:43:27

Can't stop laughing!

NotTooOld Tue 17-Mar-20 15:00:03

Love it - Jumbo Wang! But Florence - isn't that a well established girls name and nothing to do with Florence in Italy? My grandma was called Florence. I do wonder why the Beckhams gave their only (so far) daughter a name like Harper. You'd think they would have chosen a more feminine name after having three boys.

NonnaJazz Tue 17-Mar-20 15:45:04

I once had to make out a cheque to a John-Thomas Cock!

Matelda Tue 17-Mar-20 16:21:31

In a posh hotel in Cape Town, we were served a fine selection of wines by a sommelier whose name was Medicine.

Tweedle24 Tue 17-Mar-20 16:58:58

Florence Nightingale was the first recorded with that as a first name. It became popular when she became famous. I can’t remember whether she was born or conceived there.

CherryCezzy Tue 17-Mar-20 17:29:08

catladyuk I knew a guy in school with the surname Bater ....I Know what you mean.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 17-Mar-20 20:28:36

When I was working, I answered the phone to a voice saying "we have Evidence for you". I said, "what do we need Evidence for you?" The voice of the staff agency at the other end said, "That's her name!"

notgoneyet Tue 17-Mar-20 20:29:37

When I was a child there were twins who lived just up the road. Surname was Edwards. Boys were called Edward Andrew Edwards, and Andrew Edward Edwards!

netflixfan Tue 17-Mar-20 21:31:28

I knew a man called Mike Hunt. It's actually true

GabriellaG54 Tue 17-Mar-20 21:47:21

I think those people with odd names have parents who looked in a book and chose a word.
Prince, Devon, Immaculate, Precious etc.
The old Mr Getty had 14 names, one of which was Gramophone.