Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(104 Posts)
12Michael Tue 17-Mar-20 06:10:57

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight here in Brackley this morning , some blue sky as well.
My usual day some housework, then get buses to Buckingham,and Bicester.
I am hoping to find what I want on the shelves is in stock even if its just to get one item.
Mick

Auntieflo Tue 17-Mar-20 15:52:51

Gillybob flowers, wine.

ann678tifney Tue 17-Mar-20 15:08:44

Good afternoon everyone, We have been away for the weekend with all the family and have been reading the posts. Sorry Marydoll about your DD wedding. My DGDD is due to be christened Easter Sunday, so hoping it can still go ahead, and my DGS the week after, although my DD is thinking about postponing it. Had a message last night that the community building my DH goes to 3 days a week is closing until the viris is contained. Not sure how he is going to cope with being in the house every day, it makes him very depressed. DGD having problems getting Milk for the baby which is a worry, and now having a problem with nappies, some people are very selfish, glad to see some of the supermarkets starting to limit amount people can buy. My DGS is having the same problem for his foster baby. Gillybob I don't know how you manage to keep all your balls in the air, and hope you DH is starting to feel a bit better.

Lilyflower Tue 17-Mar-20 14:56:15

After a sunny morning in South Buckinghamshire, it's turned grey and cloudy. I have the DH and DD in the house working from home and have been for three walks: one on my own and one with each of them.

In fact being 'isolated' has resulted in more company that I usually have as the others would have been at work and I'd have been alone.

My lovely village is very quiet with few people about and little traffic. Cars on drives testify to others also working from home. Flowers are blooming and birds are singing their heads off. The village shop/Post Office is still open and busy enough. The garden looks a picture but a chilly wind blows and it won't be possible to have tea and cake on the patio, I fear.

Good luck to everyone else self isolating!

Curlywhirly Tue 17-Mar-20 14:12:49

And me too Gillybob I marvel at how you have coped with all that has happened to you recently. Sorry to hear that so many today have problems, here's hoping that things improve for you all.

Have been out today food shopping - oh my word, I was shocked - I went to Tesco and Lidl and both had loads of empty shelves, no fresh meat or fish; tinned tomatoes or tomato puree; beans; flour; pasta; porridge; hardly any soup; very little bread; and of course absolutely no toilet rolls! Lots of other empty shelves, too many to mention. How utterly ridiculous - I have never seen anything like it. Goodness knows when we will see full shelves again ? This pandemic is so surreal, it feels like we are in a sci-fi film, I can hardly get my head around it. However, I am determined to keep calm and refuse to panic buy, in the hope that after this initial shock, things will settle down ..... fingers crossed!

Grannmarie Tue 17-Mar-20 14:04:32

Thank you CherryCezzy and Urmstongran for the welcome.
Hello, Granniesunite, I posted here today for the first time too!
Urmstongran, just a thought to pass some time, if you have Sky TV. I remember you recommended the Neapolitan novels. My Brilliant Friend is on Sky Atlantic. I watched Season One last year, really enjoyed it.

conor Tue 17-Mar-20 13:43:11

And me tooflowers*Gillybob*If anyone can help us survive a crisis you can!! ?Xxxx

Sar53 Tue 17-Mar-20 13:41:14

And from me Gillybob, you are one amazing lady flowers xx

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 13:23:25

Ditto from me Gillybob flowersx

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Mar-20 13:15:29

gillybob everything Urm said flowers

Urmstongran Tue 17-Mar-20 12:30:55

You have so much on your shoulders gillybob I think that’s why you are so loved on this thread. Your health, both physically and mentally has taken such a bashing these last 18 months. I for one do not know where you find the strength and energy, bless you.

Put these ? in a vase from me lovey. x

gillybob Tue 17-Mar-20 12:09:59

Up and dressed early !

gillybob Tue 17-Mar-20 12:09:18

Good morning ( well afternoon) from the North East coast where I am in child care / school runs duties today . Had baby granddaughter overnight but had to get her up and teased early as I had to take DGS To school in another town. Just spoke to DD who is at work in the city centre . They have had 7 customers since first thing . She is very worried about her job . Not sure how anyone is expected to live on SSP (£96) despite what some may think .

I am do worried about my family and my small business and not sure how much longer I can keep all the balls in the air .

mary51 Tue 17-Mar-20 11:53:17

How lovely to live so near a beach.

Taichinan Tue 17-Mar-20 11:46:25

Good morning Mick and everyone. I can't believe the time! I've done nothing yet except reply to emails/messages/WhatsApps about what's going on. I am deaf, but even managed a phone call! And then I sat down to read this lovely thread, and the later you start, the longer it takes! Calpurnia I am so, so sorry for you. I have a friend who came through a year ago what you are going through now but without the isolation. ❤️ It's so hard. And Marydoll your GP sounds lovely - but so sorry about your DD's wedding. It's a perfectly normal (as in the good old days!) March day here on the Angus coast with a breeze, sunshine and scudding clouds - a "good to be alive" sort of day. But I have only three tai chi classes left before we close for the duration and I know I will miss them so much. I shall do some tai chi everyday by myself and just instruct myself - but I probably won't listen to me! I actually have plenty to do and I'm determined to stay positive ........
DD and GDDs live quite a distance away but are determined to come over on Sunday with a Chinese carryout for Mother's Day in the spirit of "looking out for the elderly". I said that in that case they would have to eat theirs outside on the doorstep ?. I shall get them to pop into M&S on their way for a few little bits 'n bobs, and actually we will probably meet up at the beach to give the dog - a red setter with bounding boundless energy - a run so that she might have a little less energy for digging up my garden! I am so looking forward to this as it will be the last time for what looks like being a long time. On that positive note I shall close, sending the usual ?? to all. Stay safe x

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 11:46:21

Granniesunite, Welcome. You won't be disappointed joining here. Once you get cracking after a while you'll feel as though you " know " many grans. Problems shared are problems halved here.

mancgirl Tue 17-Mar-20 11:39:55

Urmston. Sent pm. smile

Granniesunite Tue 17-Mar-20 11:28:23

Hi urmstongran
I'm from Central Scotland and we have a beautiful day here - Well it's dry-Almost in defiance of what's lurking in our unseen in our midst and, whats going to happen to our lovely families with work, health ect. I'd love to be part of Micks lovely thread and I will try to post more often.

CherryCezzy Tue 17-Mar-20 11:27:13

Oh Marydoll ❤️
On a more positive note, you sound like you've got a considerate and practical GP flowers

Urmstongran Tue 17-Mar-20 11:18:42

Lovely to hear from you Grannysunite you’d be very welcome to join us every morning on Mick’s lovely thread. Just let us know where you post from and what your weather is like - we’re a nosy bunch ha!
?

Granniesunite Tue 17-Mar-20 11:10:04

Hi folk I don't post very often on any of the threads but I read this thread every morning and enjoy the positive support you all bring to each other.
As one poster said upthread too many posters with so much going on in their lives to mention so I wish you and your families all that you wish yourselves and more.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Mar-20 10:51:03

Marydoll your GP sounds very sensible. When I had my telephone consultation yesterday I though I would be asked to use my "rescue pack(steroids antibiotics)" but he sent a new prescription to the chemist so my "pack" is still here for an emergency.

Keep well and safely ensconced at home flowers

aggie Tue 17-Mar-20 10:49:08

Oh Goodness , after all that planning ! So sorry Marydoll

mary51 Tue 17-Mar-20 10:47:58

Good morning all. Marydoll that's hard news from GP. about staying in. It's bad enough when AC tell you not to go out much!!

Lovely sunny day yesterday. did loads in garden and last night watched no news at all on TV, picked up gist from GN and just watched Kind Hearts and Coronets and Chris Tarrant on the Canadian Pacific.

Hope all stay well and thinking of those with worries and illnesses.

Marydoll Tue 17-Mar-20 10:21:34

I've just spoken to my GP and he has banned me from going to my friend's son's funeral on Friday. I was going to sit quietly in a corner, away from everyone.
In fact he told me not to leave the house or see anyone!

He also told me not to worry about my daughter's wedding, as he thinks the government are going to ban all funerals, weddings, close pubs etc any way!!!

On a lighter note, he is writing a precription for a rescue pack of antibiotics and steroids, just in case.......

Thank goodness for GN!

Nortsat Tue 17-Mar-20 10:20:48

Morning Mick and the GM team. It’s dry and fairly bright in east London, with more blossom breaking out on the trees. Happy Patrick’s Day. ☘️

We had tickets for dinner and a performance by the wonderful guitarist John Williams at Ronnie Scott’s tomorrow. It is, of course cancelled, which is tremendously disappointing.
We are doing only essential journeys with anti bac wipes and hand gel in the car.
My partner is a music teacher and is currently making arrangements for Skype-only lessons.

On a positive note, our ex-stray cat Ollie is recovering from his illness and seems to have a boost of energy, now that he is on antibiotics. Thank you everyone who offered helpful advice on another thread.?

Good thoughts to all those facing challenges today and those in Sick Bay. Stay safe and well, all. ?