Gransnet forums

Chat

Trying to keep our spirits up ! Coping strategy ( lighthearted )

(191 Posts)
Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 00:25:52

In Gemini Towers we have a new plan to help us survive the isolation. A daily timetable . It will begin tomorrow and follows helpful hints from the tv tonight.

7am Dawn chorus. Opera singing in the back garden.
( thanks to Gareth Malone for the suggestion. Husband not keen. I have a sore throat but nevertheless....)

10am old fashioned PT hour jogging round the daffs till out of puff. No kit ? Do what we did in the old days. Tuck vest in.

11am Tai Chi or our version thereof. Also in back garden ( hope it doesn’t rain )

Lunch
PM
2pm Chinese language lesson . Could prove useful.
3pm Meal planning using Blitz cook book. Spam fritters maybe ?
4pm Meditation hour. In garden if fine. Loud chants of Om and banging of gongs/chimes /dustbin lids or whatever’s to hand .
5pm Watch Big Brother Boris’s guide to isolation for the old guys on the telescreen.

I’m too tired to plan the evening. Any suggestions ? Would any one like to join us by videolink tomorrow ? ???‍♂️??

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:54:55

Lovely thread - thank you! I was sunk in gloom this morning with all the things I was looking forward to being cancelled, then read Eurovision is cancelled! Cheered me up enormously!

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:31:56

Where were you all ?
The opera singing didn’t go down very well - just me and him and a couple of blackbirds.
Grammaretto you have a fine voice. Maybe your grandson will join in tomorrow. He could play the piano for us.
Gaunt47 I dunno if I can count on you though. Are happy or sad that Eurovision is cancelled ? Are you not a lover of good music ? Want me to send you a recording of my opera singing ?

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 15:54:54

Gemini your opera singing would be vastly preferable to the caterwauling on Eurovision! And I haven't even heard you!
What repertoire would you suggest for us?

threexnanny Thu 19-Mar-20 16:53:24

My OH cheered -up enormously too when he heard that the Eurovision was cancelled. No idea why as we don't watch it!!

BlueSapphire Thu 19-Mar-20 17:01:53

Two highlights have already happened today!

I had my Sainsbury's delivery! I had told them I was self-isolating, and the shopping was bagged and left outside my back door, no contact with the driver. A few things missing.

Second highlight - DD popped out and got the missing items, except for the loo rolls, and will drop them off tomorrow.

Next highlight will be my evening glass of sherry at about 6pm while dinner is cooking, can't wait.

sodapop Thu 19-Mar-20 17:39:19

That's a relief Jane10

I spent some time this morning nagging persuading my husband to make a start on the gardening. I've steam cleaned the kitchen floor and cleaned out the fridge, feeling virtuous now so I can indulge in some chocolate. Like I need a reason.

Auntieflo Thu 19-Mar-20 18:09:53

Greymar you can get a cheer up on GN, usually on lovely threads like this, or the Good Morning Thread.
I had a wobbly at the beginning of the week, and I am not a down sort, but it is nice coming here and 'talking ' to folk.
There are lots of shoulders to lean on.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Mar-20 18:18:25

It’s very hard if you live on your own to have a structure
I m sorry to sound miserable but I ve just had a real drop today and the thought of months of this is unbelievable to me Went for a long walk (alone of course) but I have never been much good without structure and it’s been a real mentally dull day
Sorry

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:28:43

Poor Bluebelle ! It’s not like you to be so low. You’re usually the one that helps everyone else.
We went for a walk today at a local beauty spot and it was very busy and quite funny as we all signalled to each other one way or another that we were isolating. There was a lot of miming using elbows etc.

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:38:10

Ok Gaunt47. Tomorrow’s song is Dancing Queen (Abba). I’m giving you enough warning to brush up on the lyrics ! Bags I’m the blond one. Get practising. Don’t let me down now. I’ll feel silly singing on my own. 9am Friday ok ?
Anyone can join our choir. No one will near you. Dance along if you want to. Ok then hand jive.

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 20:03:33

I love love love that track - 9am it's a date. I'm going to be spooked if I hear another voice nearby. (Boogies back into kitchen holding wooden spoon microphone you are the dancing queen)

Greymar Thu 19-Mar-20 20:14:12

Thanks Auntie, I will try to make a timetable.

Doodle Thu 19-Mar-20 20:37:13

Hello gemini put me down for the choir ( you might regret it). I would love to join your activities. May I star up a knot and natter group in the library at Gemini towers at 2.00 pm. I am happy to teach new knitters although not too proficient myself. If there are any good knitters out there can you come along and lend a hand. I have plenty of needles and balls of wool and tomorrow’s cake will be coffee and walnut if anyone is interested. ?

Doodle Thu 19-Mar-20 20:38:17

Oh my goodness autocorrect. I am not planning a nautical group. It will be knit and natter NOT knot and natter ?

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:07:18

Drat. I quite fancied a nautical group!

Doodle Thu 19-Mar-20 21:13:45

Hello sailor! Jane10, just for you I will wear my captains hat and shout ahoy there on occasions ?

Gaunt47 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:54:45

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum?

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-20 21:54:51

Avast behind!

AllotmentLil Thu 19-Mar-20 22:12:10

Oh BlueSapphire I really fancied a glass of sherry this evening - not a drop in the house! ☹️
I’ll be there at 9am.
Thanks for this thread Gemini.

Doodle Thu 19-Mar-20 23:07:23

jane10 there is no need to be rude about my posterior. ?

Nanna58 Thu 19-Mar-20 23:18:42

My poor dog has possible urine infection (on antibiotics) and wees constantly so my schedule like this: 7am get up 7.01 let dog out then in. 7.15 : tea, then let dog out and in. 7.30 breakfast: 7.32 let dog out then in....aaand continue!!!

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 23:24:40

Doodle ! We are socially distancing at the mo otherwise you would be very welcome at the Towers !
However your knit and natter skills will be a godsend after all that exercise in the morning. The virtual class will start at 2 as you said. What are we knitting ?

Gemini17892 Thu 19-Mar-20 23:28:11

Nanna58 think of the exercise !
You let the old dog out ,
The old dog in ,
the old dog out and you shake it all about.
You do the okey cokey and you turn around.
That’s what it’s all about. ???

Patsy70 Fri 20-Mar-20 06:18:32

This is a very good thread to cheer us up. I love to go out and meet friends etc. and I volunteer at a charity shop, so will miss doing those things. At least we can still go for long, if isolated, walks with our dog. According to my sister in Spain, the police told them when they went to the laundry and butchers that they could not go out together! I've got a few jobs for my OH: decorate a bathroom; jetwash the patio;chop up an old bench; help dig out a new border in the garden - I'll think of some more wink. He usually goes to the gym and swims twice a week, as well as archery and ukulele club and he's missing the interaction. I love gardening, so will be focusing on that, as well as thoroughly cleaning the house, getting rid of those stubborn cobwebs! OH has started to teach me to play the ukulele - he also plays mandolin and guitar, so there's plenty of music in our house. I've thought of playing Scrabble remotely with my 2 sisters, one in Devon and one in Spain, so will investigate how to do that. There are lots of long phone chats with family and friends. In fact, I feel very fortunate, but so sorry for how this is affecting people on their own, those with small businesses etc. sad

Rosyanne Fri 20-Mar-20 09:51:17

This might make people laugh.