Gransnet forums

Chat

Thank you to supermarket staff who are really in the front line.

(81 Posts)
fatgran57 Thu 19-Mar-20 01:04:26

Both my daughters work in a local supermarket and we know many of the staff also.

They are doing a great job and working all sorts of hours to keep things going.

The abuse from some customers is dreadful and this is happening all day long to these staff members.

In a lighter note my daughter sent me this - "In an unsettling reversal of my teenage years I am now yelling at my parents for going out"

May7 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:58:25

Yes I agree Harris27 but they are not going to as there are lots of psychology reasons why panic buying happens. I havent yet met anyone who has owned up to doing this but they must be mustn't they ? I have bought extra items and think I would be foolish not to if we had to self isolate for 2 weeks.
Extra staff on the food chain is beneficial both to the stores and those people who need jobs. We need to look for alternative measures now to alleviate the strain

Hetty58 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:57:11

Do all the mad shoppers realise that shops and supermarkets are the most dangerous places to be? If not, why not? All large public gatherings are banned for a reason! Maybe they all have a death wish?

I agree with the logic of the FB woman's argument - but certainly not with her wording or expression of it.

Harris27 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:48:59

If everyone just bought their weekly shop there would be enough for everyone.

May7 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:45:32

Coop as well

Pittcity Sat 21-Mar-20 12:58:41

Tesco profits are up so employees are getting a bonus and extra staff discount. They are also offering jobs to people who turn up at customer services and ask.

Lizbethann55 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:44:27

Now that all the pubs and clubs have closed, there will be lots of bouncers and door men looking for work. Maybe the supermarkets should be employing them to patrol the checkouts!

flowersfromheaven Fri 20-Mar-20 18:05:42

I have just read tidyskatemum post about those who don't self isolate are to get an extra 2 weeks pay in December and them who have self isolated just get sick pay I truly hope not because all those whom are dealing with the public and have self isolated by catching the virus through no means their own fault, I think it may stop someone from self isolating if they get the Symptoms knowing that they are getting an extra 2 weeks pay and in my eyes that's wrong as we all should be looking out for one another and protecting each other. Or it could be there way of keeping the workers from self isolating.

Lupin Fri 20-Mar-20 17:33:32

Surely some sort of official rationing will have to come in if this goes on much longer, not just leaving it to the supermarkets. It should not be beyond abilities with current technology. If the media stopped making such a thing of it and fuelling the panic, perhaps it would help reduce it.
The profiteering that is going on is heinous and I hope the Government can crack down.
I hope that lessons will be learned and if anything similar happens in future then rationing will be deployed earlier.
I had a delivery this morning and the driver was cheerful and helpful as ever. Heaven bless all those who are coping with the extra slog and disgusting abuse.
PS I am going to email my MP and anyone else I can think of about the need to control what is going on in the supermarkets and with profiteering.

flowersfromheaven Fri 20-Mar-20 15:39:20

I work in a big super market and I am on the check outs at the moment to help with the demand I am so shocked at the amount people are shock piling, I also was wondering were they was going to put all the stuff they are buying, A customer told me that his fridge freezers as broke so he has been trying to buy a new one but he said he can not get one because they are out of stock every where because people have been buying fridge freezers to stock pile.

Mistyfluff8 Fri 20-Mar-20 15:23:59

How dad went shopping yesterday In Lidl’s and Morrisons but mainly just bought 1 of everything except Nappies for granddaughter as it was buy 2for £11which encourages bulk buy as her local Aldi had none Plenty of. Fresh vegetables and fruit worst supermarket so far as very little choice of products is Waitrose no toilet rolls for over 3weeks

Alioop Fri 20-Mar-20 09:01:00

While walking the dog yesterday I passed a supermarket delivery guy. I said to him" I'm sure you are so tired" as I looked at his weary face. He said "we are slammed, so so busy". I said "a big thankyou for all the hard work you are all doing for us" to get back a lovely big smile and "well thank you very much". Please acknowledge the hard work these people are doing for all of us. As a past retail assistant in a supermarket I know the pay isn't great, hours aren't the best and the public at times can very trying.

12Michael Fri 20-Mar-20 08:21:46

I have just popped into my local Waitrose in Brackley , over retirement age preference with Local Police outside just in case of any pensioners fighting.
Mick

cornergran Fri 20-Mar-20 08:18:26

Family member has worked in supermarkets for the last 25 years. The behaviour of customers can be appalling at any time at the moment the staff are under siege. The selfishness of some customers leaves him speechless. Physical threats are a constant. He and his colleagues are rapidly becoming exhausted and also aware of their vulnerability to the virus. Please remember to say a simple thank you as you pass through a store, it means a lot.

fatgran57 Fri 20-Mar-20 03:00:27

Yes thank you also Daffydilly we have prescriptions to fill shortly and I know how busy our pharmacies are normally so will be so much worse due to the current situation.

We don't need our tablets for a couple of weeks but now are concerned that supplies may run out due to the high demand on certain items.

thanks

callgirl1 Thu 19-Mar-20 23:37:58

Woodmouse, in reference to your friend`s carrots, I ordered 4 carrots with my online order, have been informed that I can only have 3. Now I need someone to go and buy me 1 carrot, lol!

May7 Thu 19-Mar-20 20:12:51

daffydilly you're much appreciated flowers

Daffydilly Thu 19-Mar-20 20:10:18

Please don't forget your pharmacy staff. We're on the fringes of the NHS without any of the appreciation. We're dealing with some of the most scared, vulnerable people in our community. We're being shouted at, threatened and guilt tripped.

We're dealing with failing supply lines and doctors surgeries prescribing three months worth of prescriptions in one go without any consultation regarding availability. Then the surgery closes and leaves us to it.

We still manage to find time for a smile and reassurance for our customers and will be there for as long as we can.

We're exhausted but we'll be there tomorrow... And the day after...

Lizbethann55 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:34:57

There is never any excuse for rudeness. The management level of all supermarkets should be patrolling the lines of tills and any customer heard or seen to be rude or aggressive towards staff should be forced out of the store without their shopping!

sassenach512 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:34:56

A friend had a set-to with a woman buying baby milk, she had several packets in her trolly and when challenged, she brazenly said that it would last her ages using it to put in her tea and coffee. Some people are just shameless, I despair

Kim19 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:56:18

I tried the early stint at Sainsbury's this morning. Sheer madness close to insanity was my experience of the other shoppers. All I wanted was potatoes which I've been unsuccessful with in the last week. Bonus of minimal items was that I could use the self check out with ease. The queue for regular staff checkout was right round the store. The uncomfortable atmosphere and heat made me think of an actual incubator for any bug. A nice and kind idea of Sainsbury's but I think it has seriously backfired and I certainly won't use it again. Another horror I saw was public queueing outside Boots with spaces between them as the store was limiting the number of customers in at a time with a member of staff monitoring the door.

Roswell Thu 19-Mar-20 16:58:34

My daughter in law work in Tesco and yesterday a colleague was spat at by an angry customer. Unbelievable behaviour, he has been banned but should be charged with assault.

threexnanny Thu 19-Mar-20 16:22:04

Glad to hear that TIDYSKATEMUM. I was thinking that a bonus or extra leave later in the year would be something the big supermarkets could do for their staff, especially as the shops have gained so much from this madness.

glammanana Thu 19-Mar-20 16:11:20

Also to Mr Sainsbury who paid my son half of the bonus last year even after meeting all his targets and did 2 x start up Locals for the company.

tidyskatemum Thu 19-Mar-20 16:07:25

Just read a post on FB from Home Bargains - setting up a £30million fund so that any staff who have to self isolate will continue to be paid and those who don’t will get an extra 2 weeks pay in December. Over to you Tesco etc......

glammanana Thu 19-Mar-20 16:06:55

I have a super family run greengrocer by me and he always keeps me my veg for the week-end he was distraught this afternoon when he had to tell me the price of my cauli?cabbage/leeks & carrots he said he tried to negotiate on the price at the market but if he didn't pay the inflated price someone else would have,also loads of fresh bread at our local convienience store no pushing or shouting abuse in sight.