Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(141 Posts)
12Michael Thu 19-Mar-20 06:12:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey skies plus wet as well here in Brackley this morning.
Today , would have been a show trip to see Tina at the Aldwych theatre but was cancelled.
So will do my usual trips to Buckingham and Bicester.
I feel better being able to get out and mix with people I have got to know .
Mick

Gingster Thu 19-Mar-20 07:57:42

Dreary here in Essex. We are heading up the A12 again to Suffolk for the foreseeable as it’s better there for us. More wide open spaces and not so many people around. I will so miss the family and friends but will message and face time frequently. I don’t know how all the families will manage with children at home all the time. My grandaughter found out they will not be taking A level exams. She’s very upset as she has worked so hard . Everyone has their own disappointments and concerns, but we must stay safe for this to pass. I’ve booked 2 trips with a local coach company, a murder mystery weekend and a trip to Kentwell Hall. I phoned the company yesterday and they said nothing has been cancelled. ?. Surely by now they would realise coach trips are a no no. I’ll wait to hear. Best wishes to all .

vena11 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:00:56

Good Morning from a wet Bristol.
I am thinking of everyone and I hope everyone keeps safe Mick be careful on the buses and don't get to close to people.
marydoll my heart goes out to your daughter.
Dragonfly last one keep safe.
Urmston hope you are coping .
Just everyone keep safe.

Grammaretto Thu 19-Mar-20 08:01:02

Sorry to butt in again but I had just seen aggie's post and read sweet peas as companions not comparison and thought what has the world come to when sweet peas are our only friends.
smile
I like the sound of your new toy Marydoll The wedding will be lovely. Different, but lovely.

Taichinan Thu 19-Mar-20 08:10:35

Good morning Mick 'n all from another sunny morning on the Angus coast. A thick frost overnight is disappearing fast - so good there's more heat from the sun now. Off very shortly for my last two tai chi classes. I shall miss seeing all these lovely people that tai chi seems to attract! I think once the weather gets warmer we might arrange some tai chi on the beach - at a great distance of course. Surely the sea breezes will blow the virus away. Have a good day everybody and keep smiling, even if you don't feel like it at the moment ??

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:11:32

mary had a look. Might give it a go as I’m up for anything that makes life easier.

My nephew is planning to marry in September. I think they are hoping it will all be over by then. I’m not at all sure but we can live in hope.

Pittcity Thu 19-Mar-20 08:11:45

Good morning from a grey Colchester.
I have a quiet day today as DS is at work on the supermarket front line and DH has gone fishing. I will shower, get into fresh pyjamas and potter. Weird to think this is the new normal.
One DGS, age 4, has a cough but is also snotty which is his default anyway. That household is in lockdown just in case and I've a neice and a cousin in similar positions.
Trying to stop worrying about the future and just surviving today.

CherryCezzy Thu 19-Mar-20 08:16:10

Morning Mick and you all from a grey and wet Gower. The starlings have been very chirrpy this morning so far so at least a cheery sound.
Nothing much planned for today which is just as well as
I'm pretty much done in after having three seizures yesterday.
Mumofmadboys flowers
My thoughts are with all of you today, especially those dealing with illnesses, other travails and the ghastly disappointments that CV is imposing.
Stay safe everyone and please be extra careful all those venturing out and about.
Be kind to yourselves ❤️

GrannySomerset Thu 19-Mar-20 08:16:50

Marydoll obviously subscribes to our family motto of “ if all else fails, read the instructions”, a woman after my own heart.

Grey and dismal here in North Somerset and a blank canvas of a day facing me. I even cleaned the inside of the windows yesterday and am wondering what today’s task should be. I need to get some sort of pattern to each day and am struggling to know hat it should be. I guess that is where having dogs to walk if such a good idea. Now there’s a thought!

Mapleleaf Thu 19-Mar-20 08:20:35

Good morning everyone,

It's a brighter looking morning than yesterday, but still feels chilly.

Marydoll you did make me laugh ?over your escapade with the steamer. Funny, but not funny - it could have been dangerous! ?? Moral of the story? " always read the instructions first." ???
I'm so sorry that your DD full plans for her wedding have had to be put on hold, but once this is all over, you will all be able to have one heck of a post wedding party! ?(Oh, and I think all of us will be joining in).

I should have been going to my Pilates class today, but it's been cancelled until further notice. However our teacher is looking into something called zoom which, if it works, should allow virtual reality sessions to go ahead. It's a matter of downloading an app, apparently, but me and technology are at what you would describe as being at an elementary level, so watch this space as to whether I'm successful in downloading it or not! She assures us it is "very easy" to do! ? I hope so, because I think as much virtual social contact as possible is going to be very important for us all in the coming weeks.

Mick I do understand your wish to try to be out and about for as long as possible before enforced lock down is likely to come, but do be careful and extra vigilant with hand washing.

My brother sent some gorgeous photos of his grandson yesterday. He's now 3 months old. It was so nice to get them and cheered me up.

Well, dear GM's, have the best day you can and to all with troubles and worries I'm sending my best wishes and a big bouquet.? Take care.

kittylester Thu 19-Mar-20 08:21:17

www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/museums-galleries/museums-with-virtual-tours?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article&utm_content=20200317

I missed yesterdays Good Morning thread but kate asked for the link to the Tours of Museums link.

Now I'm off to catch up.

BlueSapphire Thu 19-Mar-20 08:22:49

Good morning everyone from a dull grey Northampton.
No gardening yesterday as it rained all afternoon, so caught up on some reading.
Had a long phone chat with my DSis who is still popping out to the local shops and meeting up with her friends, which I thoughts very unwise, but there is no arguing with her.
Will be changing the bed this morning and hoovering round upstairs. A charity bag arrived yesterday, so may well sort out some more of late DH's things, but I find it difficult as I feel that I am throwing some of him away as well. But it has been two years now and there is a wardrobe full of shirts which would some one would benefit from. I may keep a couple of favourites.
Let's try and have the best day we can.

Susan56 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:23:52

Good morning from the Shropshire borders.
It’s a brighter morning so hopefully a day in the garden.We will decorate on the rainy days and spend the better days gardening.
Will walk up to the postbox to send some photos to my mum.Have arranged with my daughters and nieces and nephews so that mum will get a couple of phone calls each day and will send a card,letter or photo a couple of times a week.She is doing amazingly,a kind of war time spirit,so we just need to keep her positive.She has forbidden us from going to visit.
Dragonfly,I hope your treatment goes ahead tomorrow.
Stay safe everyone.Thinking of you all.x

harrigran Thu 19-Mar-20 08:24:58

Good morning from a sunny NE.
DH went to Sainsbury's at 7am because they were promising over 70s would get priority. What a farce, the shelves were still empty and there were long queues at check outs. DH said that there were large family groups toting a token grannie around.
The family funeral tomorrow has been downsized, funeral directors say only five people will be allowed to attend the service. One of my cousin's DDs is not even attending.
We are talking of having a memorial service when this nightmare is over.
GC's schools close tomorrow with no indication of when they will open again.
DIL may or may not be working, DS is working from home but his job is in the balance because it is related to education.
DD is abroad in a new job she started three weeks ago and is in limbo as most people have left the office and she is still finding her feet.
I thought I had come to terms with being high risk and then they delivered another blow, people with A Rh pos blood group are more likely to succumb.
Anyone still believe in God ? No, me neither.

Susan56 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:29:30

Cherry,sorry you had such a rough day yesterday,hope today is better for you.x?☕️?
I have (I hope!)attached a picture of DGD doing her virtual dance class,with baby H watching from the side.

QuaintIrene Thu 19-Mar-20 08:36:32

Good morning everyone. A nice bright sunny sky today in West Yorkshire.
The foxes are a courting in the back gardens. A really unnerving sound. They will be curled up asleep by now. A lot of dead foxes have been found, all heaped up together very near to where I live. The cruelty. The terrible cruelty.
Big cat is going for a pedicure this morning and then that’s my journeys, apart from trots to the corner shop over for a good while.
Well, time to get the cat carrier out and think about all who are ill or troubled and everyone else take care ?

Newquay Thu 19-Mar-20 08:40:27

Morning all from a grey Staffs. Can’t believe folks are still going out on unnecessary journeys-sadly including the funeral of a friend Mumofmadboys!
Told DH yesterday we need to be structured about our days now. As he is a retired teacher, I found a school bell on t’internet which I shall ring every 40 minutes to change activity. ?
Bluesaphhire-have you thought of putting one of DH’s shirts round a cushion so you can give it a cuddle?

kittylester Thu 19-Mar-20 08:44:07

Right, I've caught up - possibly.

My bit of North Leicestershire is a little cloudy but dry.

Yesterday was quite eventful. Youngest granddaughter (the fabulous Persie) got sent home yesterday as she was coughing. That meant her brother had to come home along with DD's partner. Dd's partner works at a school and thought he would be able to work from home after the closures. No chance, the IT dept are having to work from school as support for the children who are learning at home!

We had a video chat with them yesterday and there dud not seem to be an awful lot wrong with Dgd. grin

We had some really sad news too. DH's younger brother, who lives in South Africa, has been diagnosed with dementia and is having investigations for prostate cancer.

We also have a funeral next week and are in a dilemma about attending it seems awful not to mark the passing of a lovely neighbour.

Sending loving vibes to everyone.

Curlywhirly Thu 19-Mar-20 08:56:02

Good morning all from a thankfully dry Cheshire. May do some gardening if the weather stays good.

Had to laugh at my son's comment to me on Monday, Me "well this coronavirus situation is getting a bit scary now isn't?" His reply "it certainly is, they might shut the schools, how scary is that, looking after two kids 24/7, doesn't bare thinking about!" I have a sneaky suspicion that he may ask if one of them can come and live with us, wouldn't put it past him!!!

Marydoll my niece got married abroad; she had a lovely wedding reception (sit down meal, speeches, first dance etc) when she returned for all those couldn't travel - she wore her wedding dress and put up a screen showing a beautiful video and photographs of their actual wedding. It felt like the real thing, and was lovely. Maybe your DD could do something similar?

Thinking of all those with health and other problems - good luck for tomorrow Dragonfly hope all goes well. Take care everyone.

Anniebach Thu 19-Mar-20 08:56:28

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Megs36 Thu 19-Mar-20 08:57:14

Thanks for good wishes and good morning , husband in hospital all night ‘doing tests’,can’t come home, no visitors.
Looking for his phone charger ....in safe place, can’t find it.
Hope you got ‘the dress’ OK Marydoll and my wishes to everyone else.

Grannmarie Thu 19-Mar-20 08:59:35

Good morning Mick and all GM posters, old and new.

Lovely sunny morning in Lanarkshire, I might potter about in the garden later.

Marydoll, your daughter's wedding will be special and filled with love, you can plan the most amazing party in better times.

Your steamer story reminded me that I have one, still boxed, in the cupboard under the stairs, must look it out and make myself read the instructions!

Love and prayers to all with anxiety and/or health issues. Take care out there. Mick, wear gloves!

Megs36 Thu 19-Mar-20 09:01:47

PS Won £5 on the lottery yesterday, bet you are all jealous??

SkyBird Thu 19-Mar-20 09:02:36

Good Morning from an overcast South Costa Blanca. Today is Father's Day and a national holiday. We have not been out of the house since Saturday, tomorrow one of us will have to go shopping.

One of my son's who works in London is showing the first signs of the virus. There is nothing I can do, I spoke to him yesterday and he was very positive. He is obviously self isolating and working from home.

There are so many people on here with health issues and dilemmas. I wish you all the strength to come through this. Please if possible self isolate you will survive without cuddling a loved one. But they might not if you do.

Greyduster Thu 19-Mar-20 09:04:57

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. As Maple says, brighter for South Yorks, but the wind is coming from the wrong direction! We are planning a little stroll today in what we know will be a ‘people wilderness’.
Pitt I wish I was going fishing too; I envy your DH. Wish him ‘tight lines’ from me!
My DD has just sent a link to the National Trust to say that all their parks and gardens will be open for free throughout the crisis for people to take exercise and fresh air. (Shops and food outlets will not be available though). Good for them?!
Have the best day you can, folks, and stay safe.

Beechnut Thu 19-Mar-20 09:05:12

Can I be your new best friend Megs36 ????