Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(141 Posts)
12Michael Thu 19-Mar-20 06:12:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey skies plus wet as well here in Brackley this morning.
Today , would have been a show trip to see Tina at the Aldwych theatre but was cancelled.
So will do my usual trips to Buckingham and Bicester.
I feel better being able to get out and mix with people I have got to know .
Mick

eazybee Fri 20-Mar-20 09:13:07

What a pity.
The same few people who already have form in driving posters away, ready and waiting to attack Gabriella G.
Again.

gillybob Fri 20-Mar-20 08:57:46

I think you’re on the wrong thread Annie . This is the Thursday thread. All very confusing I know. smile

Anniebach Fri 20-Mar-20 08:56:08

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

My younger daughter may have results of ultrasound today ,
pray or is well

Marydoll Fri 20-Mar-20 07:17:18

Pussycat ??

Pussycat2012 Fri 20-Mar-20 00:09:15

I think both Marydoll and MawB have hit the nail on the head here. Please don’t talk about Mick behind his back. I am 56 years old and although not in the more strongly advised category of people to go out unnecessarily, I choose to do the right thing for my family and myself and my fellow man as and when a situation occurs. I am sure Mick will do the same. We should be supporting one another in these trying and uncertain times. Remember we are all in this together and keep in mind that if we wouldn’t like someone else to do something to us then we shouldn’t be doing it to them.?

Marydoll Thu 19-Mar-20 20:23:36

This is not in the ethos of this thread.
I would be upset if I found out people were discussing me in my absence, on a public forum (and I'm speaking from experience)
Mick's circumstances, are no-one's business but his own.
Time to put this to bed.

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 20:06:33

I am not happy about discussing another member in their absence, assuming their thoughts, motives or actions.

I don’t think this is kind or fair.

harrigran Thu 19-Mar-20 19:38:50

I believe Michael is 71 and yes he should be curtailing his bus trips. He would also have been off to a London theatre had they not cancelled.
He may be happy to take the risk but what about the vulnerable he lives near to, do they have the choice ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:37:12

NanKate
My words were neither nasty nor cruel. My use of 'ignorant' was correct insofar as he was unknowing or unheeding of government guidelines and advice in the media. Selfish, in that non-essential journeys are frowned on. To take 2 bus journeys plus the coffee breaks and chats does, to me, seem a disregard for advice and actually selfish.
If I said I was doing it on a daily basis. I'd be shot down in flames on here.
Ok for some but not others...eh?
I wear gloves too when I have to go out. Today, apart from a 5.45 - 7 am run, I have been at home all day and tomorrow after my elderly hour shop between 9-10 at Tesco, I will again, be at home all day.
Instead of castigating me for being honest, how about telling it like it is to those who don't abide by the rules.
I'm out of this discussion now as it is clearly biased.

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 19:23:21

GabriellaG you clearly know more about Mick than some of us.
How old is he then?
However you have adult children, grandchildren and I believe great grandchildren and you have told us of a partner. Then there is the personal trainer, the postman who paints your toenails and the couriers who enjoy crisps and sandwiches.

All I know about Mick is that he lives alone in sheltered or semi-sheltered accommodation and starts off a friendly thread every morning around 6.30
So do tell!

Marydoll Thu 19-Mar-20 19:18:35

Of course your feelings count, Gabriella.
Some posters just appear more robust than others and able offer and justify their opinions.
Some do not have that confidence.
GN is a mix of many characters, but on occasions, comments could be be rephrased in a gentler and kinder way, to get the same result.
Let's not spoil this gentle thread.

Grandmafrench Thu 19-Mar-20 19:12:50

dragonfly.........Thrilled for you ! (wine)

Grandmafrench Thu 19-Mar-20 19:10:50

Surely walking on eggshells isn't necessary, but is there any real need to 'rub the pile of the velvet the wrong way?' Flat is bland, you say. You are possibly right. In conversation, face to face, with people who know you or who can assess where your remarks might be going, people have more of a chance. A very direct post online, however, no frills, and just not taking enough care with the words to think of another's feelings, is a different thing entirely. But you will know that. (hmm)

Grammaretto Thu 19-Mar-20 19:10:14

I guess it hasn't hit home yet. Look what's happening in Italy to realise how deadly this virus is.
People are still not distancing enough.
Someone at my in-laws' day centre has tested positive so we are worried even though the centre has now closed.

Charleygirl5 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:09:47

dragonfly I bet you did not expect to hear that superb news today! Hopefully you can now slowly start to feel better and the hair will grow- what colour would you like?!

Gabriella I am tempted to tell you but this is a lovely thread as is Mick.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:06:55

NfkDumpling thank you. Sometimes I hesitate to comment.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:06:05

...and yes MawB, it does behove us to be aware of the feelings of others...but I guess that excludes me.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:03:39

I bow to your superior knowledge MawB
Had there been more than 5/6 people on it I would not have boarded the bus and could have alighted earlier than planned had more passengers got on , however, I know when the crush times are on these routes so can be reasonably sure of a safer journey.
I might add that Mick did say that he wanted to continue his usual friendly routine because he wanted to chat with the other passengers he knows from previous journeys.
I, on the other hand, speak to no-one and open all the windows nearest to me.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:54:12

I live alone and I'm much older than Mick but I'm certainly not asking anyone to give me more consideration or leeway than anyone else. My feelings obviously don't count as I don't fit the sensitive/vulnerable criteria.
I wonder why I must walk on eggshells on here.

Marydoll Thu 19-Mar-20 18:46:46

Like may on here, I suspect Mick likes to read, rather than post.
I feel we should be sensitive to that.

NanKate Thu 19-Mar-20 17:38:36

Mick started up another thread I think about coffee and he was responding to the other GN members, but I do appreciate Gilly that we don't see them very often.

He does send PMs.

Thank you Maw for your support.

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 17:16:22

And Megs, I hope things are looking up for you and your DH. You may have many things on your mind but it is harsh to criticise Mick for as you say
I seem to remember Rufus trying to strike up a rapport with him, unsuccessfully, well perhaps Mick prefers to choose his friends for himself? Just because they are two of the very few men on GN does not mean they have anything other than their gender in common, does it?

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 17:10:25

12Michael...you're ignoring government guidelines re keeping at a distance from other people. How utterly ignorant and selfish just because you want to 'feel better getting out and about and mixing with people you know
Oh that is unkind, Mick is neither ignorant nor selfish.

Didn’t you post pictures the other day of a bus you were on GabriellaG? Granted it was empty but are you saying you would have let it go if there had been any other passengers, or that you would immediately have got off if anybody else had got on?
Mick is not in London or the suburbs and from what I know of the area the local buses are unlikely to have many passengers during the day.
The Chief Scientific Adviser said I think today that the advice regarding social distancing or self-isolation for over 70’s (if Mick is indeed over 70) has to be weighed against the mental and emotional health disadvantages of isolation and loneliness among the elderly.
Swings and roundabouts I think, but at any time it behoves us to be aware of the feelings of others, does it not?

Urmstongran Thu 19-Mar-20 16:56:52

Great news dragonfly that your gruelling treatment is over. I’d like to join in wishing you good health going forward.
??

Kalu Thu 19-Mar-20 16:29:25

Absolutely wonderful news Dragonfly. Woohoo ? So pleased for you?