Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(141 Posts)
12Michael Thu 19-Mar-20 06:12:15

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey skies plus wet as well here in Brackley this morning.
Today , would have been a show trip to see Tina at the Aldwych theatre but was cancelled.
So will do my usual trips to Buckingham and Bicester.
I feel better being able to get out and mix with people I have got to know .
Mick

Feelingmyage55 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:28:08

mick. You open this lovely thread daily and because we “know” you a little bit feel that I can say - are you sure you should be on the buses. Just for a few weeks go for a walk, take the papers or a book and a flask and find somewhere to sit for a change of scene. We don’t want you to be ill. We want you to stay well.

dragonfly46 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:30:50

Good afternoon. My day started badly as I was foolish enough to think the hour Sainsbury were devoting to the elderly would be quiet. I think everyone over 70 was there! Managed to escape after an hour and met some lovely people in the queue.
I saw my consultant oncologist after that who has cancelled my last treatment saying I had done really well to get through 7 treatments. He has also cancelled my radiotherapy as he said it makes little difference and it is more dangerous to come into the hospital every day so it looks like my treatment is finished ?.
I will now go back and read all your posts but thank you to all who have supported me over the last few months.

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Mar-20 13:35:10

That's good news dragonfly. Isn't it? flowers

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:35:13

I am nothing like Carole Middleton. For one thing, I don't sunbathe and don't tan as my skin is too fair and prone to a smattering of freckles when I was young.
Secondly, my figure is nothing like hers, taller and heavier 5-6.5/14-16.
I wouldn't want offspring like 'Marshmallow' James either and Pippa isn't exactly a looker.
I'm happy as me and have no.intention of travelling abroad for a long long time, if ever again.
I think I'm drifting back into the groove of rubbing the pile of the velvet, the 'wrong' way but flat is bland. ??

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:36:58

I doubt that Mick reads our concerns. He certainly doesn't answer them.

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Mar-20 13:37:42

Very well expressed Feelingmyage.

Curlywhirly Thu 19-Mar-20 13:53:29

Dragonfly yippee!!????brilliant news, treatment finished! You must be so relieved. Now get that bottle of fizz opened (if that's your thing) and celebrate, you deserve it after all you've been through. ???

Marydoll Thu 19-Mar-20 13:55:49

Dragonfly, great news. I'm so pleased for you.

Pantglas2 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:01:45

Well done dragonfly so pleased for you x. And if that champagne curlywhirly mentioned isn’t your thing, send it over wink

Scentia Thu 19-Mar-20 14:33:53

Lovely bit of positive news today Dragonfly

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:37:00

Dragonfly flowers are you relieved?

Megs36 Thu 19-Mar-20 14:40:19

Great Marydoll.I guess your daughter is pleased.Dragonfly also good to hear.
Finally Gabriella G54, you are right about Mick never responding,
I seem to remember Rufus trying to strike up a rapport with him unsuccessfully.
Take care everyone, difficult to know what advice is good, this has never happened before has it.

NanKate Thu 19-Mar-20 15:44:51

Is these dreadful times I would hope we could show kindness to each other. Your comment GabriellaG54 about Mick was nasty and cruel. There are ways of persuading people to take a different course without using unkind language.

Megs36 I can confirm that Mick does reply to comments and read this thread as I have had replies to prove it. I’m glad he avoided being sucked into the Antipodean web. It happened to me and a couple of other GN members and we were made to feel pretty uncomfortable and unhappy.

So in the spirit of supporting each other through these dreadful times I hope you can consider what you say carefully before making someone who lives alone thoroughly sad.

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-20 16:15:05

Brilliant news dragonfly . I feel so relieved for you smile

I really Can’t see anything “nasty and cruel” saying that Mick never responds NanKate confused because I don’t think I’ve never seen one myself either ( and I don’t just mean to me ) .

Grateful Thu 19-Mar-20 16:21:16

Sorry for your loss

Kalu Thu 19-Mar-20 16:29:25

Absolutely wonderful news Dragonfly. Woohoo ? So pleased for you?

Urmstongran Thu 19-Mar-20 16:56:52

Great news dragonfly that your gruelling treatment is over. I’d like to join in wishing you good health going forward.
??

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 17:10:25

12Michael...you're ignoring government guidelines re keeping at a distance from other people. How utterly ignorant and selfish just because you want to 'feel better getting out and about and mixing with people you know
Oh that is unkind, Mick is neither ignorant nor selfish.

Didn’t you post pictures the other day of a bus you were on GabriellaG? Granted it was empty but are you saying you would have let it go if there had been any other passengers, or that you would immediately have got off if anybody else had got on?
Mick is not in London or the suburbs and from what I know of the area the local buses are unlikely to have many passengers during the day.
The Chief Scientific Adviser said I think today that the advice regarding social distancing or self-isolation for over 70’s (if Mick is indeed over 70) has to be weighed against the mental and emotional health disadvantages of isolation and loneliness among the elderly.
Swings and roundabouts I think, but at any time it behoves us to be aware of the feelings of others, does it not?

MawB Thu 19-Mar-20 17:16:22

And Megs, I hope things are looking up for you and your DH. You may have many things on your mind but it is harsh to criticise Mick for as you say
I seem to remember Rufus trying to strike up a rapport with him, unsuccessfully, well perhaps Mick prefers to choose his friends for himself? Just because they are two of the very few men on GN does not mean they have anything other than their gender in common, does it?

NanKate Thu 19-Mar-20 17:38:36

Mick started up another thread I think about coffee and he was responding to the other GN members, but I do appreciate Gilly that we don't see them very often.

He does send PMs.

Thank you Maw for your support.

Marydoll Thu 19-Mar-20 18:46:46

Like may on here, I suspect Mick likes to read, rather than post.
I feel we should be sensitive to that.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 18:54:12

I live alone and I'm much older than Mick but I'm certainly not asking anyone to give me more consideration or leeway than anyone else. My feelings obviously don't count as I don't fit the sensitive/vulnerable criteria.
I wonder why I must walk on eggshells on here.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:03:39

I bow to your superior knowledge MawB
Had there been more than 5/6 people on it I would not have boarded the bus and could have alighted earlier than planned had more passengers got on , however, I know when the crush times are on these routes so can be reasonably sure of a safer journey.
I might add that Mick did say that he wanted to continue his usual friendly routine because he wanted to chat with the other passengers he knows from previous journeys.
I, on the other hand, speak to no-one and open all the windows nearest to me.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:06:05

...and yes MawB, it does behove us to be aware of the feelings of others...but I guess that excludes me.

Feelingmyage55 Thu 19-Mar-20 19:06:55

NfkDumpling thank you. Sometimes I hesitate to comment.