Gransnet forums

Chat

hospital bag

(89 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 19-Mar-20 09:30:28

This morning i will be packing a bag just in case. PJ's, toiletries, list of meds a book and anything else i might need if by chance i am unlucky enough to become ill. I will do one for DH too. I am also going to spend time dealing with finances, funeral plans and will so everything is in one place. I know this sounds a bit depressing but i think it is essential.
I wil also be writing to a couple of friends and and 92 year old lady that i know. Then hopefully later on a brisk walk round the block to post letters. What are you doing today.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 11:53:22

She could have a vested interest as parent of your DGS though (if you have left everything to him!!)

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:53:41

Dec46
We are a similar age. I too live alone and my nearest AC is 98 miles away.
I trust they are looking after their own j interests and health as I look after mine. I rely on no-one.

Packing a bag for an expected hospital stay is normal.
Having a pre-packed bag gathering dust on your tallboy or wherever, 'just in case' you are ferried in on blue lights, is to me, faintly...umm... ludicrous but that's only my ( many some might think) cavalier attitude rearing it's head.
Good luck and best wishes to all who may need it...the bag I mean.
I'll make do with a hospital gown and a pillow to rest my head. Food and a kindle/ book would be of no interest. ?

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 11:57:15

I think you should at least pack some knickers in the unlikely event you may be admitted Gabriella

Those hospital gowns are not very seemly.

craftyone Thu 19-Mar-20 12:01:33

a very good post travelsofar, very sensible. I have never stayed in hospital and have no idea what to pack. Would be glad of any ideas for just in case

re wills etc, always a good idea, having dealt with probate etc when widowed. I can only re-iterate that a will is a must have, to reduce any burden on loved ones. If possible also a joint account and a credit card for each, not the usual main account with a second card. We made sure that my husband had an account of his own.

Belt and braces. I have also done a `dying tidy` file and told my AC where to find it. Believe me the last thing that loved ones need to do is to go hunting for information about pensions and banks etc While at it, a list of passwords is good

Now back to the bag

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:06:47

PJs, if nighties then pack some knickers, a light dressing gown, slippers that you can throw away. Minimal toiletries, a hairbrush. A couple of towels. Spectacles.
They will take medication away from you anyway.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:08:35

An old bag to put it all in that you don't mind throwing away afterwards.

craftyone Thu 19-Mar-20 12:09:00

what are the basics for a bag?
nightie
comb
toothbrush and paste oops I need to find a brush mine is electric
knickers and liners to make them last
dressing gown of some sort? My opaque cotton one
kindle
phone
phone powerpack?
money

what would I need for basic washing?

craftyone Thu 19-Mar-20 12:11:39

slippers
towel
shower gel? or soap

anything else. Not for a hotel stay, just essentials
I could take my kindle and powerpack out as it would be emergency only

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:13:21

No underwear for me. If I was ill enough with C-19 to require a hospital stay, I wouldn't be in any state to care whether I was commando or not.
No hang-ups here and if I was well enough to want to titivate my hair, read a book or use moisturiser, I assume I'd be well enough not to need an NHS bed.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:15:42

Having a pre-packed bag in this situation is along the lines of having a death wish.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:18:15

I think if you are admitted to hospital with this virus a grab bag is redundant.

Dec46 Thu 19-Mar-20 12:22:05

Soap not shower gel,better for handwashing.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 12:26:03

Titivate my hair
Must remember my hot brush and hair spray.
Moisturiser and makeup.
Mascara

Soap and towel yes

a death wish some may think the opposite - be prepared and it will not happen.

Each to their own.
If you don't want to do so, that is fine, Gabs but why come on here annoying others who may want helpful tips?

SalsaQueen Thu 19-Mar-20 12:48:43

travelsafar That sounds extremely depressing {shock}. Are you likely to be in contact with anyone who has symptoms?

GardenerGran Thu 19-Mar-20 12:52:00

GagaJo yes as long as the witnesses don’t inherit. We did a WHSmith one for my brother in a rush just before he died and we were executors also. We didn’t have a problem as long as you follow the guidelines. Later when we had to see a solicitor re setting up a trust she was very sniffy about it calling it a “home-made” will but we had no problem getting probate.

winterwhite Thu 19-Mar-20 12:52:12

I'm with Gabriella here. DH knows where I keep my clean nighties and pants, more or less what bathroom essentials to pick, and the shelf where I keep my comfort reading. Ditto me for him. We've each had to exercise these skills over the years. Hospitals give out those frightful gowns, paper knickers soap and toothpaste in the middle of the night and I've known that too and come through it. Where do you all keep your bags? Important for me is that I'd hate to be constantly seeing it around. Trying to keep house as worry-free a place as possible.

EllanVannin Thu 19-Mar-20 13:10:40

Because I have A/F which is unpredictable and at one point was unstable, ( those who'll know about this ) I've had to have " things " put to one side, a new pack of Asda knickers and a pair of light/silky PJ's and a pair of those " spa slippers " that you can throw in the machine. Spare dressing gown hanging on the back of the bedroom door.

I don't tempt providence by making up a " hospital bag ". They're just rolled up together in the nightwear compartment of the wardrobe. Medication is the most important thing to take in case you have to have some kind of treatment.

Other times when I've been admitted in day-clothes I've usually been stabilized and discharged before evening from the assessment ward.
It's the never knowing that gets on my nerves. Chances can't be taken when your heart rate is 180/200 beats per minute over a period of time. It's pretty exhausting but I get over it and have done for the past 30 years !
My longest stay back in 2006 was 2 and a half days, so I haven't got one foot in the grave-----yet !

travelsafar Thu 19-Mar-20 13:16:51

SalsaQueen in answer to your question, yes my DH has COPD and although he has been staying at home and i am extremely careful about washing hands and changing clothes,when i come in, it is me who has to do everything outside of the home. If he caught it from me and was in hospital i would be home alone if i caught it. I cant see why so many think it is not a good thing to do??? My back pack is now sitting on top of the wardrobe out of the way where it always sits, it just has things inside it now. As for my will i did that years ago but i am just putting it with insurance policies and funeral plans into a folder all together. Makes sense to me

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 13:20:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 13:30:59

Stay safe and well Gabriella

My bag is packed just in case.
No makeup, nor even a hairbrush
Just soap, towels, toothbrush and paste and pjs.
Even if it's not needed anyway for hygiene or any other reason
Be prepared

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Mar-20 14:05:35

I packed a bag for hospital admission 18 months ago that was cancelled, the bag was left in the bottom of my wardrobe in case the admission was rearranged but the bag is still there just in case. I doubt I'll need it but it's there anyway should I need it.

GrannyLaine Thu 19-Mar-20 14:29:41

I'm surprised that anyone would find the idea of having a collection of necessary items to hand in any way ridiculous. I did this years ago, not specifically for hospital admission but for any emergency. Last year when I received the dreaded phone call that my Mum had been found collapsed and was in a very bad way, I was able to just grab those things and GO although I still had a 3 hour drive to get to her. I'd have found it difficult to think clearly about what I might need. And don't make me laugh about my nearest and dearest packing a bag for me..........

MissAdventure Thu 19-Mar-20 14:53:11

It's certainly worth taking a list of meds, because them actually supplying you with the same ones, in the same doses takes ages. (If it happens at all)

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 15:15:02

To whom it may concern...my response

eazybee Thu 19-Mar-20 15:45:45

When I went into hospital for a pre-planned operation I packed a small bag with essentials, only to be told by the nurse to send it home with my daughter as I would not be going back to the same ward and the bag would probably get lost.

Gabriella, they are not getting at you again are they?
It is so good to read your posts, breath of fresh air.