Gransnet forums

Chat

hospital bag

(89 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 19-Mar-20 09:30:28

This morning i will be packing a bag just in case. PJ's, toiletries, list of meds a book and anything else i might need if by chance i am unlucky enough to become ill. I will do one for DH too. I am also going to spend time dealing with finances, funeral plans and will so everything is in one place. I know this sounds a bit depressing but i think it is essential.
I wil also be writing to a couple of friends and and 92 year old lady that i know. Then hopefully later on a brisk walk round the block to post letters. What are you doing today.

May7 Fri 20-Mar-20 06:54:35

Essential item in bag is lip balm or chapstick as they used to be called. Horrible and painful to have dry cracked lips and quite often this care is overlooked in a busy hospital

Lilypops Fri 20-Mar-20 07:16:54

When I was suddenly taken in to hospital my DH had to find my things , he did his best but ,,, since then I have a bag ready packed with toiletries,towel comb p,j,s and knickers , it’s at the back of the wardrobe , DH knows where it is, It,s not OTT or morbid ,it’s just being organised just in case it happened again and would save DH much stress as he was already in a state of panic as I was so ill ,

Marydoll Fri 20-Mar-20 07:47:43

I have had a bag ready for years, with essentials, just in case of a hospital admission. An emergency admission has been on the cards for years.
A year ago, just now I was rushed to hospital and ended up in Coronary Care.
When I told my children where the bag was, it turned out to be at the bottom of the linen cupboard, under other suitcases. They were not amused! ?

Now I have a ribbon tied around the handle and DH knows exactly where it is.

Just to have your own toiletries and nightwear, is much better than a hard hospital towel and some paper towels to wash your face. sad

All my medication is in a very large tub, with my name, DOB and hospital CHI number on it. Inside is a typed list of medication , doses, allergies and names of my conditions and consultants. It makes it so much easier to access your records.
When I was admitted, the receiving doctor said that she wished all patients were as organised as me, it made delivering treatment so much more efficiently.

It's not scaremongering, it's just being practical and lessens the stress on your family at a difficult time.

Lucca Fri 20-Mar-20 08:15:54

“If you don't want to do so, that is fine, G......... but why come on here annoying others who may want helpful tips?”

Oh please do come on here !! Your comments make me grin a whether I agree with them or not

Hospital bag or not do people at our age really need to be told what would be good to put in one ?? Five pairs of earrings a plastic bucket and a photo of Colin firth ?

Dancinjay Fri 20-Mar-20 08:35:37

Thanks gransnetters, I just realised DH sleeps in the altogether, just bought some pjs on line!!!!!!

Grandmafrench Fri 20-Mar-20 08:35:38

travelsafar Marydoll Agree absolutely and it allows lots of us to feel reassured and, maybe, less vulnerable in a bad situation, a good thing to be prepared.

To lighten the mood, I feel very lucky in that I can rely on my DH to step up for me in time of need. Mr Efficiency! He once picked me up from the office and drove us to a super weekend away as an absolute surprise. I wittered about clothes and where and how long and make-up and what about the cats etc., but it had all been arranged. The room, the setting was wonderful. He’d packed me a case, just the clothes I would have chosen. I changed for dinner and took out my favourite patent brogues and my brand new high heeled sandals .

One of each ? ?

Marydoll Fri 20-Mar-20 08:50:45

?

GrannyLaine Fri 20-Mar-20 08:55:02

Once when I was working on a postnatal ward we were discharging a young woman and her brand new baby. Her husband had duly brought the clothes she had carefully chosen for the occasion, but had managed to bring only one shoe. She walked through that ward beautifully dressed but with a face like thunder, limping along in her one shoe. Its an image that still makes me smile and I don't suppose he'll ever forget either.

GrannyLaine Fri 20-Mar-20 08:57:15

Grandmafrench I've just re-read your post. I'd missed the 'one of each'! Oh dear.... grin

Liz46 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:06:16

I have just packed a hospital bag as I have had a letter from the NHS telling me to.
Some of the ideas on here were useful.

Elegran Thu 26-Mar-20 15:56:13

Sods law being what it is, I predict that GabriellaG54 will be the first of us to be whipped off with blue lights flashing, to spend a few days sleeping commando with no toothbrush or lip balm. When you have safely returned home, GabriellaG54, I hope you will post an account of your adventures?

Chestnut Sat 28-Mar-20 23:25:32

My hospital bag is looking rather full. I've probably packed too much. The patients I've seen look as though they're in hospital gowns and have nothing with them, so I'm sure I won't need most of those things in intensive care. I doubt they'd even have time to wash me, let alone help me to the shower clutching my cap, soap and sponge.

May7 Sun 29-Mar-20 14:58:00

Yep I packed a power pack in mine last night so I could use my phone without using scarce electricity.

The stupidity of it really ?just as if I will be playing on my phone - if I ever make it into hospital?

So I took it out.

Sometimes I think its comforting when your control has been taken away you create tasks that are within your control so then that calms you
Just my take on it really.
I've left my lip balm in though. ?