Gransnet forums

Chat

hospital bag

(88 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 19-Mar-20 09:30:28

This morning i will be packing a bag just in case. PJ's, toiletries, list of meds a book and anything else i might need if by chance i am unlucky enough to become ill. I will do one for DH too. I am also going to spend time dealing with finances, funeral plans and will so everything is in one place. I know this sounds a bit depressing but i think it is essential.
I wil also be writing to a couple of friends and and 92 year old lady that i know. Then hopefully later on a brisk walk round the block to post letters. What are you doing today.

Alexa Thu 19-Mar-20 09:42:15

I have nighte not pyjamas in mine. In case I need to use bedpans a nightie is easy to pull up compared with pyjamas that are a little more complicated to pull over the buttocks.

Dec46 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:32:53

I've also packed an emergency bag.A few years ago I was rushed into hospital with suspected heart attack and had nothing with me so made me think of being prepared for all eventualities.
I've got a nightdress and pyjamas in my bag.

Charleygirl5 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:38:30

I live on my own and have a cat. I have made arrangements that a friend will pop in every 2-3 days to make sure she has food and water and change her litter tray.

I am also going to sort out an emergency bag in case I am admitted. When I broke my ankle I had nothing so I intend to be better prepared.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:43:26

How ridiculous. Work out how many people have actually become seriously ill and hospitalised. Add the overall number of infected but self-isolating persons and then equate that total with the overall UK population and see what a tiny percentage it really is.
If you keep to the guidelines and employ sensible hygiene regimens at home and elsewhere, you have the best chance of not becoming a statistic.
To have a fatalistic attitude is very rather OTT

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:45:56

Yes, I suggested this on MawB's thread.

I am not bothering with a book as I think you'd be too ill to read and as soon as you are better(hopefully) and virus free you'd be discharged.

harrigran Thu 19-Mar-20 10:46:28

It has crossed my mind that it is a good idea to have a bag close to hand.
I was taken to hospital from the GP surgery and my DH worked away, it is a horrible feeling knowing you are entirely on your own.
I now walk around with some of my medical equipment in a handbag just in case.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:49:01

Gabriella it's not ridiculous, it is something I was advised by the hospital years ago.

If you are ill, and let is hope none of us do become ill, the last thing you or a loved one will feel like doing is looking for a bag, sorting out essentials to pack.

You can always unpack it when all this is over!

It's not panicking, it's common sense.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:50:49

I can't believe how many always go the route of worst case scenario. Overbuying re Brexit, stockpiling re C-19.
Packing everything but the kitchen sink for a hospital stay and writing out your last will and testament, leaving instructions not to let Aunt Maud have the bone china teapot etc...??
You won't be able to bring any of it home anyway and you'll feel too unwell to care.
Madness...(shakes head)

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:51:32

I stand by what I wrote. It's utter madness.

Eglantine21 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:52:41

My aunt always had her hospital bag ready on her tallboy in the bedroom.

She never went to hospital..........

(Whatever happened to tallboys?)

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:53:24

Well, having had to be rushed to hospital in the past I can tell you that having a bag packed ready was very useful as DH was so worried he would have put in all the wrong things. And not necessarily in the right order.

Stay safe and well.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:54:58

Eglantine yes, it's the thought that if we prepare it will never happen smile

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:56:56

Tall boys are very handy especially when trying to reach for the last bag of pasta on the top shelf in the supermarket, whipping it away from a desperately hungry young family, only to stockpile it because we don't eat pasta anyway.

I am being sarcastic, I hope you realise.

GabriellaG54 Thu 19-Mar-20 10:58:07

I only have 2 pks of loo rolls (18) and 3 pks of hard soap. No dried pasta, 2 small pks Tilda cooked rice and 2 tins beans besides normal/usual amounts of everything else like butter, cheese, fruit bread etc.
You can bet your life I won't starve or stockpile. Nor will I worry and live in a state of hyper-anxiety.
It's not good for your health.
??

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 10:58:49

packing everything but the kitchen sink

I think you're overreacting there a bit Gaby
grin

Chestnut Thu 19-Mar-20 10:59:01

In the event of an emergency admission I wish you all the best GabrielaG54 as you will be completely unprepared. Surely once you reach a certain age it's sensible to have a hospital bag packed anyway. You never know....

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 10:59:09

Is a hand written will valid, if it is observed by 2 witnesses?

I should have done this before, but...

Just in case of emergency this time.

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 11:01:20

Must remember to pack the china teapot

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 11:02:41

Can you find a format online, GagaJo

I'm sure it must be, signed by two witnesses who do not stand to inherit anything,

Eglantine21 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:05:35

I was very careful not to get the space in tallboys, even though spellcheck insisted on it, over and over again?

I do have a nice tall boy of my own.............

Callistemon Thu 19-Mar-20 11:10:15

grin
Mine has usually wandered off somewhere else in the shop and I like to find a younger tall boy to help me reach things off top shelves.
It does add some variety to life

Dec46 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:29:12

gabriella you have a lot more Loo Rolls than me.Good that you are well prepared.
I'm not hyper neurotic just living alone.No family to help and know what it's like if an emergency does occur and I haven't done anything that could make it a bit easier on me and NHS if it happens.

GagaJo Thu 19-Mar-20 11:34:36

I could find a template online, good idea Callistemon. I don't have a printer, but I could handwrite following the format.

I COULD get my daughter to sign as a witness. I've warned her she's getting nothing. grin

kircubbin2000 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:41:38

My son packed all his wife's make up into my bag. She was not pleased.