Gransnet forums

Chat

No wine in what is probably our last Sainsbury delivery!!!

(105 Posts)
Mbra12 Thu 19-Mar-20 11:24:41

Well now I am taking this very seriously. I laughed about the loo roll and baked beans but no wine is one step too far. ?

EmilyHarburn Mon 23-Mar-20 11:27:38

Majestic deliver my wine to the door step. I get a case at a time - six bottles. This gives you a reduction in price and you can mix any six bottle in the case.

They are however now experiencing unprecedented demand so if you want wine you may have to ring the nearest store and do it by phone..

Susiewakie Sun 22-Mar-20 18:13:19

Try Aldi and Lidl got all my fresh fruit and vegetables ok no eggs or pasta plenty of wine ?

Fennel Sun 22-Mar-20 11:26:04

Our nearest corner shop, Nisa/Coop, still has a good stock of toilet roll, kitchen rolls, tissues etc, as well as wine and other alcoholic drinks.
No flour though.

Maggiemaybe Sat 21-Mar-20 23:25:31

FOR parishamilton AND ANYONE ELSE STRUGGLING TO GET FOOD:

This link to a thread on Mumsnet might just help someone.

Obviously Mumsnetters are posting from lots of different areas, but there are some good tips on here, particularly a list (on page 2) of links to many local CoVid Support groups on Facebook and WhatsApp:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3854555-Can-t-get-food-ANYWHERE?pg=2&messages=25

I just hate to think of anyone going hungry.

Vivian123 Sat 21-Mar-20 20:36:11

I was in Sainsbury's on Thursday, when it opened for elderly and vulnerable. A good idea, but not much cop, as the shelves were still empty. I did pick up a bottle of Scotch and had a chat with the lady at the checkout, who informed me that, Sainsbury's did not consider alcohol an essential, so there could be a shortage, later on. Pity they don't get a big lorry full of toilet paper. park it in the car park and sell only packs of four from the back. This will give everybody a chance of wiping their bum with decent stuff, instead of Murdoch's newspaper!

Marydoll Sat 21-Mar-20 19:06:37

parishamilton, that is an awful situation to be in. Do you have no family or friends who can help out?

If you are in a desperate situation, can you call Social Services emergency line and ask for help. No-one in this day and age should find themselves in a situation like that. ?

Marydoll Sat 21-Mar-20 19:01:34

As I'm no longer able to drink alcohol, our garage had a fair stash of wine.

The stash is much diminished, as every time DD arrives with a care package, she helps her self to a bottle!

I don't grudge it at all , she has been brilliant bring supplies and medication, as I'm not allowed out..

Maggiemaybe Sat 21-Mar-20 18:17:59

parishamilton, where are you? There must surely be local voluntary groups or just public-spirited individuals offering to help people in your position. Is there a local Facebook group for your town? That seems to be where all the help is being advertised round here. I'd gladly give you a bag of tatties if you were near me (I doubt you are as you must be out in the country to be so far from a supermarket) - we bought one thinking the family was coming for Mother's Day and of course they're not now. Please find some help and keep in touch to let us know how you're getting on.

ALANaV Sat 21-Mar-20 18:05:19

Been on a trawl of little shops today …..nothing in the bigger Supermarkets so with one bag, went to the local corner shop....got most things ..no butter or milk. Came home ...had coffee...started out again ….got everything else I needed at the little local Co op ….quite happy now ...bit of a trawl going from shop to shop, but it was a lovely day and I enjoyed walking the 5 or 6 miles in the sunshine (I live on the coast so the views were nice as well ! coffee shops closed, but a few enterprising hot drink vans along the way ...what's not to like...loads of people and dogs on the beech enjoying the sun ...wind surfers, even people in wet suits IN the north sea.....all in all a really enjoyable day ….I shall do it again ...much better than a one stop large shop !!!! grin

Tillybelle Sat 21-Mar-20 17:52:28

susie511
It was on the News that Sainsbury's had removed its phone number.

What did you need to ask?

Tillybelle Sat 21-Mar-20 17:49:31

Tee Hee. I'm tee-total! So much easier! So much less expensive! A good time to stop drinking alcohol everyone?

lilydily9 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:10:44

It could be worse, the government could bring in Prohibition!

joesdadnick Sat 21-Mar-20 14:35:13

no shortages, just essential food items being stocked

Daisyboots Sat 21-Mar-20 14:07:06

We have almost every type of alcohol in our cellar but because of our medications we cant drink any of it. Cant share though as we live abroad.
Home delivery is a new thing in Portugal so rather scarce and booked up into April with the one supermarket doing it nationally.
Now in the UK it was decided to let the older and infirm shop first thing in the morning but the supermarkets put no thought into it and it hasnt worked. So now they are saying that they will give priority to the older and infirm customers for home deliveries. How on earth are they going do that? Anyone could give a false date of birth or does it mean you have to go to the shop to register first. I am sure Gransnetters have better ideas than the supermarkets on how to control early morning shopping so only those entitled get in. Then your ideas for controlling for giving prioity for home deliveries.

So what are your ideas for this? Over to you.

WoodLane7 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:06:46

Anyone in the Walsall area want a bottle of wine I am happy to give you one, My garage is full of the stuff, mostly that I have won in tombolas, been given as a present etc and I don't really drink much so happy to donate! I was planning on donating a few bottles to our local carnival this year but of course its cancelled...

Helenlouise3 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:03:34

It seems to be that stocks are much higher in corner shops.

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 12:30:05

I don't think drinking wine kills it!

And no-one could drink the proof that would kill the virus.
I tasted pure alcohol at a distillery once, just a dab and that was enough.

vegansrock Sat 21-Mar-20 12:22:13

Just because you enjoy a glass of wine doesn’t make you an alcoholic.

Lizbethann55 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:21:42

I have just come back from our local Aldi. Busy? Yes. Manic? No. Stocked shelves? Mostly. Not much fresh meat but most other stuff. Loo paper? Yes!!! Wine?? Double yes!!!! Hopefully the message is getting through and people are calming down and seeing sense.

Grumpygran12 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:19:53

Quite a few smaller local shops and farm shops round here (Cornwall) are offering delivery service. Definitely worth a bit of research if you can use local sites, or try googling it. I didn’t realise how much help was available, and it also helps to support smaller businesses who might be struggling a bit more at the moment.

Nannan2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:19:15

But we are not all alcoholics sorry.?

Nannan2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:17:13

Alcohol is supposed to kill the covid19 virus by all accounts.

Nannan2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:16:16

Whers the slots promised for vulnerable and elderly then?? And how would you prove it anyway?Its all just 'talk' so shops look better on tv!angry

allule Sat 21-Mar-20 12:15:05

I've been lucky with Waitrose, though rather odd orders, as once booked, I couldn't get in to do the usual editing.
For wine, I always use Aldi. Free delivery for six or more bottles ( I replaced one with gin this time).
Great value, and helpful reviews.

susie511 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:08:07

But phoning supermarkets appears to be impossible. I have spent over an hour, both today and yesterday, trying to get a phone number or contact for our local Waitrose, then John Lewis itself (Waitrose email directed me to contacting them direct), No shop phone number available. I then tried our local Tesco, where I shop a lot - again no phone number/contact possible and all available slots on-line taken for the forseeable future. So, as "elderly" customers who are told not to go out, what are we meant to do?