Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Sat 21-Mar-20 06:12:42

Good Morning Everyone,
Its blue sky and cloudy this morning , but it will feel a different day due to recent announcements.
The local bus services are running on a Sunday service everyday , that includes those on here who are on the X5 Oxford -Cambridge route.
My usual Cafes maybe closed ,and the pub scene both are being monitored if there are any changes to the situation.
Anyway, a good fry up this morning , followed by a more casual morning, and watch old cycling events from last year on TV.
See one person has beaten me this morning , going off to the local Tesco which opens at 0600.
Mick

Megs36 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:39:01

Being particularly thick again but why are so many post deleted?

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 14:04:12

----it's blowing a hooley here and is as cold as Iceland. Brrrr.

EllanVannin Sat 21-Mar-20 14:01:40

Rufus, did you know that Europe and the USA are responsible for bring bugs into your country and not the Chinese ?

Also, dear Vera Lyn is 103 bless her. Breathing in gallons of cigarette smoke from her past concerts for the service-men/women hasn't done her any harm has it ?

I'm only trying to justify my own habit grin Well, I don't drink and that's just as bad-----says I. It rots yer boots.

CherryCezzy Sat 21-Mar-20 13:48:48

Good afternoon to all fellow GMs. Late post from me (again) from a dry but otherwise variable Gower today. Another 2 seizures in the night but no falling out of bed. My WP received a little tube of toothpaste today from Sainsbury's, you know what they say " it's the little things in life" grin
My heart goes out to you, your DD and the rest of your family today Marydoll flowers
Despicable behaviour from the venue, it can't be right, the law must surely be on your side. I'm sure you & your family will prevail, especially as these are not normal times they can't possibly have a leg to stand on!
Take care one & all and be kind to yourselves ❤️

Taichinan Sat 21-Mar-20 13:30:26

Good afternoon all. Two hours ago I sat down to read this thread, and now it's afternoon. It's such a lovely caring thread, but I was sorry to come across that little bit of bickering. All part of life's rich pattern I suppose. Anyway, after all the lovely sunshine we've had in recent weeks on the Angus coast, today dawned grey and decidedly Siberian, with only a wee chink of blue out over the sea. Brrrr! Today is my first day in real isolation after a week of putting tai chi classes to bed and doing a few things that couldn't be put off. And then DD and my two teenage DGDs came by last night for Mother's Day. 90 minutes' drive each way for just a couple of hours here, but it was important to her (and to me of course). DDs husband died just under four years ago, just four days after my DP died, and I think CV has made her and her girls very nervous about losing anybody else. (I have no intention of being lost of course!!) Anyway, I'm afraid we broke the rules, and I promise it won't happen again. So now I will sort of hold my breath for the next couple of weeks that we came through unscathed and haven't infected each other. GD1 will still be going into school next week to complete various assignments in preparation for assessment in lieu of her Highers.

I have read all the posts with my usual interest and then have forgotten a lot of what I wanted to respond. However I do have a lovely vision of Mr and Mrs NfkDumpling floating in splendid isolation - and warm sunshine of course - on the Broads, birdwatching and fishing. Aaah! Then there was Greyduster's kettle - I'm on Amazon Prime, which is a godsend at moments like that. Why do these pesky things fail at the most inopportune moments? Aggie, I think it was you who said getting up and getting dressed was a thought in isolation, and it's bound to become something we who live alone might struggle with during this time in moments of inevitable down-ness. Mind you for me one horrified look in the mirror will send me scampering for clothes and make-up! Glad Mancgirl is back safely from Spain, and I see I have scribbled a note here - Grammaretto, my thoughts exactly, only I can't remember what the thoughts were!! Finally. Of course Marydoll I am so so sorry both that you're not so well today and that your poor DD's wedding is having so many problems. ?? and ❤️ to you, and of course all who are ill and feeling glum. For my part I'm off to do some tai chi practice - a daily dose of which I have promised myself. Please stay safe everybody and special ??? for those of us who are alone x

Marydoll Sat 21-Mar-20 13:13:20

Feelingmyage55, not the same hotel group.

I have just been on their website and what they say they plan to do, is the antithesis of how they have actually treated my daughter. Nothing, but platitudes!

I wish I could access the website and tell it as it really is!

Feelingmyage55 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:06:53

NfkDumpling. HEAVING WITH RANDY FROGS. I am still laughing!

Feelingmyage55 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:05:58

Well I rushed out to collect stuff for the spring gardening and met someone that I stood 4 metres from. As he walked towards me I kept backing away and nearly fell off a kerb. He thinks it is a fuss about nothing and plans to go about as normal. I have discovered a new talent of being able to walk backwards. Not only that I have developed the skill at a rate of knots. (?). I’m afraid I said “you might not be worried but I am! He was not happy. Off to plant some pansies. See you all tomorrow.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:01:20

?*marydoll*. How awful when you are so clearly kind and generous yourselves for your family to be treated like this. I wonder if the hotel group is the same one that evicted workers yesterday in Aviemore with 24 hours notice having also sacked them with immediate effect.

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 12:58:00

gringrin

Marydoll Sat 21-Mar-20 12:55:11

Psychophant
Noun. (plural psychophants) (humorous) A sycophant, especially one with psychological problems.

Sycophant
plural noun: sycophants
a person who acts obsequiously towards someone important in order to gain advantage.

I like the first definition ?

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 12:48:40

Psychophants ? gringrin
That’s a new one!

Rufus2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:44:49

Correction. Sycophants
My spellchecker gives me "psychophants"! Does it need checking? grin
Please don't go Gabriella; we've only just met up again! blush
Good Health

QuaintIrene Sat 21-Mar-20 12:37:08

Good afternoon everyone. Late today, I have been watching a cauldron of Ragu to portion up for the freezer and phoning friends inbetween. So many have awful colds.
Big cat is twirling around my legs all the time. Trying desperately to tell me something, but what I don’t know.
It’s still busy outside, folks walking in groups up the road from town.
My thoughts go out to all those ill or troubled and take care everyone else. We can only keep going ?

SilverDarlings12 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:31:38

Hyaaaaaa (as is said here). Please don't go GabriellaG54.
We have a Pepperpot here. On top of Hoad Hill. +++

Rufus2 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:27:01

As the song goes " One Day at a Time
Ellan Also don't forget Gracie with "Sing as we go and let the world go by!" grin
Good Health

GabriellaG54 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:20:37

Correction. Sycophants

GabriellaG54 Sat 21-Mar-20 12:18:34

No probs. I'm off here for the forseeable.
Leave the sychophants to echo each other.

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 21-Mar-20 12:15:36

Hi all, can we please keep the conversation civil. We know emotions are running high at the moment but it's not helpful to finger point. Please keep supporting each other and sharing ideas on how to make the best of things flowers.

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 12:06:58

"Known" oops!

MawB Sat 21-Mar-20 12:06:23

Not really outof etc
I think calm common sense is still preferable to scaremongering squealing plague etc Perhaps Wuhan was a giant Eyam but such draconian measures are not what we are facing here.
We are not bring forcibly locked in to our houses (literally) with those who are nown to be gravely ill and left to die as happened during theBlack Death but simply urged to exercise common sense in exceptional circumstances.
Unlike Private Frazer we are not " "all doomed".

Outofstepwithhumanity Sat 21-Mar-20 11:58:47

You are not the only one GabriellaG. MawB took a swipe at me a week or so ago, for comparing the current situation to the isolation at Eyam during the plague of 1665. I wonder if she has now revised her views.

busyb Sat 21-Mar-20 11:51:21

Good Morning all

I am usually a lurker and came on this thread this morning hoping to find some cheer. Lots of positive comments, Marydoll I am so sorry for you and your family but what a lovely DiL to bring your granddaughter around and although the Hotel has acted appallingly, the small businesses - the florist and hairdresser have been great. We do all need to pull together and look for the positives. I am attempting to finish all the half started crafts I have, I was always rushing off to some event or other, well now is the time to finish them. I hope to be on Gransnet a lot more especially since our local Grans won't be able to have our coffee mornings for some time.
GabriellaG54, the Pepperpot looks charming.x

mary51 Sat 21-Mar-20 11:45:20

Good morning all from a sunny south Wales. Thinking of the many with illnesses and worries.

Just planted some more tomato seeds here (I've been very late this year).

The Pepper Pot looks a lovely little building. I'd pop in myself if I lived there!

Best wishes to all.

sunshine

moggie Sat 21-Mar-20 11:37:20

Good morning Mick & all from bright & windy Nottingham.
Washing machine on out for walk later.
.*flowers*for Marydoll & Gillybob
Take care & have a good day everyone.