Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you nick-nacks say about you ?

(137 Posts)
NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 15:34:41

On the radio on Tuesday at 4.00pm there is a programme called ‘The Hidden History of the Mantlepiece’.

My Mantlepiece has on it

A small silver elephant
A soapstone elephant
2 small glass ornaments
An American pottery vase with 4 black horses on it.
An old American clock with a glass front with a partridge on it
A much loved family teddy in a bow-tie

What’s on yours if you have a Mantlepiece ?

sodapop Sun 22-Mar-20 17:00:10

Our mantelpiece holds, a painting of our house, photo of grandchildren, and brass candlesticks. Sadly no stiffies.

Callistemon Sun 22-Mar-20 17:03:28

Dust!

lemongrove Sun 22-Mar-20 17:09:46

Tut tut Callistemon....no time like the present to get out the tickling stick? and we have lots of time at home now.

GabriellaG54 Sun 22-Mar-20 20:18:23

lemongrove

Snap!

Chewbacca Sun 22-Mar-20 20:35:10

On the mantlepiece: A mother hare and her leveret ornament, a Chinese porcelain bowl with a plant in it and a pair of silver candlesticks and cream candles. On the hearth: a wooden cat and a bowl of half burned candles.

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 20:35:30

Candlesticks, a picture of Paw in a silver frame, pics of my Father at his investiture at Buck House, and with my Mum when they first met in Germany, assorted birthday cards and Mother’s Day cards, and glass tea light holders.

crazyH Sun 22-Mar-20 20:42:01

Framed photos of my sons with their wives on their wedding day and my daughter (divorced) with her children .

NanKate Sun 22-Mar-20 20:49:13

Good to see you here Maw. That’s some dramatic painting over the fire.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 20:55:42

2 matching Victorian crystal " danglers ", 1 at either end of the mantle-piece.
A Royal Doulton figurine, a Gorham figurine, an Arthur Bowker figurine, Coalport figurine.
In the centre is a German clock encased in porcelain with two little girl figurines on top of it, and a tiny china cat in front of the clock.

Shelves on the fireplace---4 different china kookaburras. A large Lladro sitting lady.

On the hearth--2 Staffordshire spaniel dogs, 2 Staffordshire cats, a Russian rabbit and a Russian ( Lomonsov ) lion.
Vase of tulips.

The end !-----but not of the nick-nacks grin

EllanVannin Sun 22-Mar-20 20:57:22

Oh, and a large oil painting over the fireplace---MawB just reminded me.

MawB Sun 22-Mar-20 21:08:58

I love that picture over our fireplace too. It’s a lovely oil of a loch in the West Highlands . We spotted it in an art shop in Cambridge about 12 years ago and I said Paw could have it as his birthday and Christmas presents for the next 5 years!

phoenix Sun 22-Mar-20 21:54:12

lemongrove grin but it is how invitations were referred to, honestly!

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 05:34:22

Three of my mantlepieces - note the collection of mobile phones on the last one - OH has NEVER thrown one away.hmm

LullyDully Mon 23-Mar-20 08:07:20

Modern house, no mantelpiece as such.

Greyduster Mon 23-Mar-20 08:30:40

This is mine. The three blue and white plates are of no value but I am very fond of them and have had them a long time. The Waterford crystal clock was given to us by a friend, now sadly passed away, the photo is of my lovely late sister with toddler DD, and the Eiffel Tower was brought back from Paris by GS on a school trip and before Christmas, when he was over, he asked where it was, so I put it up there. It flashes different colours, and when he comes over, we have to have it on! It must have everlasting batteries! Now, with everything that is going on, and not being able to see him, it will become a little beacon for us.

grannypiper Mon 23-Mar-20 08:37:45

A soldier figurine either side and a clock in the middle, that is all there is supposed to be but Dh has added 2 empty cartridge shells, his car keys and a £20 note that is going into my purse

ninathenana Mon 23-Mar-20 08:40:45

A photo of GSx2 and an art deco bronze figure of a lady.

ninathenana Mon 23-Mar-20 08:45:21

fatgran some lovely objects there. Especially the clock and the figure in the last pic.

eazybee Mon 23-Mar-20 09:43:24

To answer the original question'what do your nick-nacks say about you?':-
old, tough, grey and battered.

annodomini Mon 23-Mar-20 09:43:26

I don't go in for nick-knacks though there was a time when I had cats and people persisted in giving me cat ornaments. Since my poor cats have been deceased for over 20 years, I have gradually given the said ornaments to charity shops. I have my granny's silver plated teapot and sugar bowl. Perhaps my heirs will either take them or sell them.

M0nica Mon 23-Mar-20 11:04:29

Our only mantelpiece isn't in the living room. It is in the study, so its contents reflect that.

Airfix model of HMS Belfast, about a dozen old pottery and glass bottles, most retrieved from the bottom of the Thames or dug up in the garden.. cartoon portraits of DH and I, all those little tiny ornaments, some joky, that family give one.

Not your normal mantelpiece collection but not a living room mantelpiece either.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:05:59

My nick nacks say that I must love dusting because there are so many of them.

I don’t.

Dinahmo Mon 23-Mar-20 11:16:52

Modern house so no mantelpieces. Elsewhere, hundreds of pots and dozens of pictures. No photos but about 20 albums filled with photos from the last 50 years of holidays and one with happy snaps and pets present and former. My OH prints the photos and then laminates them for the albums. One day, when remembering becomes more difficult, I'll still have them to look at.

shysal Mon 23-Mar-20 12:06:57

I have no mantelpiece but my dresser holds many GC photos, candles, Mothers Day cards, a glass dish of polished pebbles, a Sellotape dispenser and a camera. Hidden behind theses items are spare spectacles, a pocket dictionary and a calculator. I also have several weeks worth of dust. Even though staying inside most of the time I still CBA to do housework. blush

BlueSapphire Mon 23-Mar-20 13:18:47

Here's mine.
Daffs in a vase.
Dartington glass candlestick with candle.
3 Mothering Sunday cards
Stained glass angel made for me by a friend.
Art Deco style vase
Behind one of the cards is a Greek icon I bought on holiday in Crete.