Gransnet forums

Chat

Slipping into slobbishness

(117 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 22-Mar-20 21:18:25

I’m very sleepy and tempted to go to bed without a bath. Nobody’s going to get closer than 6’ to me anytime soon so why not wear the same clothes three days running, leave my hair unbrushed and leave my bed unmade?
Will I turn into a stinking slob and eventually stop brushing my teeth, changing my pants and cleaning the bathroom? Is slobbishness something we could all slide into if not vigilant?
I’ve now frightened myself and off to run my bath!

Grammaretto Sun 22-Mar-20 23:26:02

I'm still showering and dressing regularly but I left my teeth out when DD phoned grin

I wonder when we come out of purdah, if kids in the street will gawp and run away. They won't have seen old people for a long time.

Bathsheba Sun 22-Mar-20 23:30:33

I’ve joined the bra-free brigade too - such liberation! It would take very little for me to slide into slobbishness, so I’m determined to get properly dressed each day, and not just slip into a pair of fleece pyjamas, tempting as that is blush. And I usually do my hair, but I rarely bother with makeup anyway, so that’s a freedom I already have.

But oh the joy of escaping the tyranny of the bra! I may never go back to them. Or at least, not in the winter - I may change my mind when I’m wearing flimsy t-shirts shock

grumppa Sun 22-Mar-20 23:49:00

As a male follower may I say what enchanting prospects are conjured up by some of the posts on this thread?

My own contribution is my regret that for the foreseeable future I shall have no reason to wear a tie.

eazybee Sun 22-Mar-20 23:57:50

No. I shower, dress and put on makeup every morning, but as I have lived by myself for years it's what I do. I do it for me, not for others.

Rowantree Sun 22-Mar-20 23:59:58

CBA to shower much (relieved because I've read showering less is kinder to the skin) and washing hair less. I do top and tail scrupulously though! I used to wear eye makeup every day but now I wear less and less, certainly not indoors. Wearing scruffy gardening clothes much of the time. However, when I do shower, wash my hair, apply moisturiser and lotion and a bit of scent, I remember how good it feels and how much more cheerful I feel.

crazyH Mon 23-Mar-20 00:19:12

I usually have a shower every morning.......not any more......not going anywhere, no one visiting and when they do they are 10 feet away. This has told me that I could easily slip into 'slobbish' behaviour and I seriously wondered this was a sign of things to come ?

Txquiltz Mon 23-Mar-20 02:20:58

I have always dressed as soon as morning ablutions were completed. I just felt like it was my personal statement of self-respect. In the last week, I have stayed in my nighties all day. Tooth brushing and a quick combing of hair was the extent of my efforts. I tell myself tomorrow I will return to normalcy, but I have not got much motivation.
This thread has caused me to set out tomorrow's clothes. Excalibur....I will succeed. ???

Jane10 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:01:30

My plan is to avoid ablutions for several days then, when I'm really rancid, I'll have a lovely shower and wash my hair and it'll feel great. I'll feel the benefit as old ladies used to say. grin

Curlywhirly Mon 23-Mar-20 07:20:01

Am loving not wearing makeup for a change, usually wear it everyday. Also not washing hair every other day, washing it every 3rd day instead. But am still getting showered and dressed every morning, couldn't bare to stay all day in nightie/jimjams. Still putting perfume on too, my one indulgence. Unfortunately I have to wear the dreaded bra, boobs look dreadful without! Pity.

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 07:24:24

Curly, my boobs are not attractive when braless. My grandson doesn't care so neither do I.

NanKate Mon 23-Mar-20 07:25:39

I always remember my dear Mum each morning brushing her hair, putting on a dusting of Cyclax face powder, some Bourjois blusher from a little round cardboard box and finally her lipstick. She wanted to look her best. So I am following the family tradition and I feel better for it.

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:15:13

Jane10 you might become like Pig-Pen in the Peanuts cartoons! grin

Urmstongran Mon 23-Mar-20 08:17:23

I’m enjoying sitting around in my softies every day, no make up, no perfume, no fuss.

Greymar Mon 23-Mar-20 08:29:08

Unfortunately softies are well soft and don't alert me to humungous weight gain.wink

NannyJan53 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:33:17

I am still making an effort to be dressed by 9am.

No hairdresser visits for the foreseeable though. My hair was due for highlights last Friday, but in the scheme of things it is not so important. It will be quite long by the end of June.

My partner is bald so he doesn't have that problem smile

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:41:08

I shall leave off my bra today after reading this. So much more comfortable.

Hair due to be cut this week. Don’t know whether to try cutting it myself or let it grow. I’ve never had long hair. Quit3 fancy it.

Mum who died this year at 101 spent her last few years home bound living on her own.

Every day she showered, “tiddled up” her hair, dressed in her decent clothes, and jewellery. No make up but was was assiduous about skin care every day.

This lasted until she became bed bound a few months before she died, but even then every day scrupulous about washing, and smelling “nice”

TwiceAsNice Mon 23-Mar-20 08:46:44

I couldn’t not have a shower every day or not wash my hair. I would just feel dirty and that would make me more miserable. Am not bothering with makeup but that’s the extent of the slob! I should have had my hair cut and coloured last Friday but cancelled so goodness knows what it will look like by the time I can go again

sodapop Mon 23-Mar-20 08:51:40

Grumppa I can't believe you are letting yourself go like that, pull yourself together man gringrin

travelsafar Mon 23-Mar-20 08:54:21

TwiceAsNice me too as i am doing the 30min exercise dvd that Gransnet have suggested, the Leslie Sansome walking one, it makes me perspire so a shower is defo needed!!! Not bothering with make up as not going out. But like you my hair needed a trim and my fringe driving me mad, so i am clipping it back for now , not an attractive look but at least it is out of my eyes.

Daddima Mon 23-Mar-20 09:01:42

I bought a couple of pairs of new pyjamas, fully intending to have ‘ PJ days’, but still imagine somebody’s going to call, so get dressed instead!
Hair washing is overdue though, as is colouring, so God knows what it’ll look like after the 12 weeks I hear I’m expected to stay at home!
My friend brought me 2 shalwar kameez(es?) from Pakistan for lounging in, but they are rather fancy, and I worry that folk would think I’d lost what’s left of my marbles if they saw me.
I suppose I’ll soon realise nobody’s going to ‘ drop in’!

Urmstongran Mon 23-Mar-20 09:16:17

Probably why I like them Greymar! I’ll be sorry in 12 weeks ...
?

Oldwoman70 Mon 23-Mar-20 09:37:36

So glad it isn't just me! I was very tempted not to shower yesterday morning as I thought I won't be going anywhere or seeing anyone but then decided that way lies madness so showering every day is non-negotiable!

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 09:38:38

I might wash my hair today. Haven't bothered for 3 days. Normally everyday. Meh. The cat will lick it clean if I give her the chance.

annodomini Mon 23-Mar-20 09:39:07

I'm lounging in dark grey joggers and a red fleece which I wouldn't normally wear in public. I have decided to augment my wardrobe by a pair of navy joggers which I have ordered from M&S. If I am still isolated by the time summer (if ever) comes around, I have several pairs of fairly disreputable denim crops.

Greymar Mon 23-Mar-20 09:39:12

I'm more than sorry now Urm, just done 2 minutes srepping on the stairs. Not pretty.