Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Mon 23-Mar-20 06:15:26

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a clear bright start here in Brackley despite overnight frost.
Today, stay in do some housework , I have got enough food in so will only go out midweek for a look at shelf stock in nearby supermarket.
Only hope the situation starts to improve , with all various closers of pubs, and other related places .
Mick

aggie Mon 23-Mar-20 07:44:31

Good Morning all, bit dull but we can hope that it brightens later
Nice day yesterday with lots of phone calls , I am not used to my new phone and managed to answer one call with a view of my ear , being outside I hadn’t seen that it was a FaceTime call , cue much hilarity at my expense . Just as well I had washed my ears ?

EllanVannin Mon 23-Mar-20 07:48:12

Good Morning All x My body-clock is telling me it's later than it is, so next week it'll be right !
Lovely and bright again but still cold, wish it would warm up as I'm fed up being muffled up in a jumper and cardigan, still if I can find enough to do it'll keep me warm smile

Loads of tulips on my doorstep, so beautiful but so surreal !
No more supermarketing for me now for a long time, though I won't save that much by shopping locally but hey-ho we've got to eat. At least there's a butcher/ fruit and veg and grocery shop. Things will change rapidly.

Quiet around the area it'll be like Sunday every day. I check Wirral now and again to see the state of the virus spread, paranoid or what ? Curiosity really as to how we're containing it compared to other areas but it doesn't say where cases are, except for one who'd returned from Italy a couple of weeks ago, not near here.

Washing dried beautifully yesterday so has to be ironed at some point---pillow-cases, tea-towels etc.

Hope everyone's doing well and managing to remain bug-free.A tough road ahead not to be tempted to shop but that's the way it is and if we want to stay well we'll have to do the right thing. I'm more upset than anything else that my teen GGC can't be here especially as GGD likes baking, she'd have been great company sad It's the time when you want to spend as much time with GGC as you possibly can as being a 4th generation family time is indeed limited.

Hope you're doing alright Urmstongran I know you'll look after yourselves. Everyone else take good care and if you do the right thing you won't come to any harm xx
Dragonfly, a blessing in disguise that you have to stay put----healing time x Glad your DD arrived safely.
Gillybob try and not worry too much, it's out of your hands x.
Stay safe and well everyone. xx

Laughterlines Mon 23-Mar-20 07:57:39

Good morning from sunny East coast. Looking at rough seas but lovely. Please stay safe everybody for the sake of our hero doctors, nurses and health workers who might have to risk themselves taking care of you. Thank goodness for this site and all the lovely people on it. So glad most of my friends embraced modern technology.

Going to do my online exercise class at 9.00 with Joe Wicks (it’s really for children but hope to be able to share with DGC ASAP) then another one on YouTube. I am planning to come out of this leaner, fitter, with better jigsaw and sudoku ability, and with cleanest tidiest house in Street, and cupboards with no food with sell by dates before 2000 LOL

Stay cool, we can do this.

Sar53 Mon 23-Mar-20 07:59:41

Good morning everyone from a very bright and sunny Essex by the sea.
A very different Mothers Day yesterday. Flowers from one daughter and chocolates from the other, both delivered by post.
We had a three way video call in the afternoon, hilarious with all 5 granddaughters wanting to take part. It was good to chat and laugh as it could be months before we see each other again ?.
Today I will be cleaning, making a casserole for dinner and going for a walk along the beach. I can see the country going into lockdown sooner rather than later as so many people do not seem to understand the seriousness of the situation.
A pleasant day to you all and stay safe xx

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 08:00:21

Good morning Mick all and the sun is now breaking through in Glagow, it's 3°C, definitely better than yesterday's frosty start. Kalu, I always find it strange that we live only 15 minutes away from each other and the weather can be so totally different. ?

I had an unexpectedly lovely Mothering Sunday yesterday.
DD, despite her troubles, left an Easter Egg and a rose bush on the doorstep, along with another care package. If anyone would like a Cup a Soup, please let me know. She keeps buying them, as that's all that's in the shops, but I can't abide them. DH will be eating them for months. grin
DD had also made a photo album, sent to the family chat, of pictures of my three children when they were young. It caused much hilarity and I was accused of child cruelty for some of the clothes I had made them wear.
Well, brown, crimplene trousers were all the fashion in those days for wee boys! wink
DS1 says that all we need to do is put a beer Stein in DS2's hand and he will look like a Bavarian beer drinker. The clue is in the bibbed corduroy shorts! grin
DD put the photo on Facebook and her friends asked if she was on drugs! She had conjunctivitis, which she ended up giving to all of us!

Later DH told me I had a visitor and I shouted down that he couldn't let them in. At the bottom of the drive was DGD on her tryke with DIL and DS1 with flowers and chocolate left on the doorstep. It was so unexpected. It's a forty minute walk at least to ours, so they had made a big effort.

Across the road, my friend's son was doing the same thing. He is a pharmacist and insisted he wouldn't be going in, just in case.
My friend's DH was hanging out of the window and we were all shouting coversing across the road. It reminded me of an old Glasgow poem, called The Windae Hingers, (The Window hangers)
It was all very surreal.

A few hours pottering in the garden was added bonus, but I'm paying the price now! ?
I sat on the bench in the sun in the front garden, as I had overdone it. The next minute my friend and her husband came rushing out, as they thought I was ill! Another chat ensued.
Another neighbour came out to sympathise about the non-wedding, followed by his wife who placed a bottle of non alcoholic Prosecco on the middle of the lawn.
She had bought it for me to drink at the wedding next week, but decided I needed it more now. She is the friend who placed a bottle of fake Prosecco in my room, at her own son's wedding, earlier in the year.
I cannot believe how kind my friends have been.

I wrote a very strong email to the CEO of the hotel group yesterday, no response at all. Watch this space.

Another bit of pottering in the garden today, it has been a wee bit neglected, as I've not been up to it. It's really annoying me. Let's face it, I'm going to be spending a fair bit of time in it from now on. wink
My thoughts with all needing our support and prayers, especially The Gillybobs, Megs and her husband and hoping Dragonfly is beginning to feel better. flowers

Enjoy your day, everyone.

ninathenana Mon 23-Mar-20 08:01:17

Good morning all.
Lovely sunny day in Kent. I need to try and get a telephone appointment with a GP. I had one last week but nobody called.
Youngest GS is 8 today but obviously no party or trip out, bless him.
DH plans to mow the lawn.
Take care everyone.

Pittcity Mon 23-Mar-20 08:02:48

Good morning from sunny Colchester. I too have to brave the pharmacy for my regular prescription.
DH has gone fishing while the lakes are still open. It's a solitary pursuit anyway.
DS is sleeping after a double supermarket shift yesterday. He says it was total madness. He is going in again this afternoon.
Keep well everyone.

Susan56 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:09:29

Good morning from the Shropshire borders where it’s a chilly but bright start.
Laundry and gardening today.Will also do a food inventory.Was panicking about food as we had been unable to get an online shop and are quite a way from the local shops.
Anyway,panic over as a local dairy are going to deliver basics and when DD was breastfeeding Henry at 4am she managed to get us a delivery slot and also one for my mum and herself.Such a relief as we all live quite a distance from each other so can’t help each other out by dropping things off.
By 6.30am all slots were taken.
Am aiming to still do my 10000 steps a day even if it means walking in circles although I find when doing housework and gardening I usually do a fair few steps.
Have also decided to start playing the piano again.Havent played for so long apart from tunes for the children.DH loves to hear me play but I am not sure it will make for very good listening for a while!
Urmston,hope you get your tablets.
Sending good wishes to everyone and stay safe.??

Gingster Mon 23-Mar-20 08:12:17

Another gorgeous start to the day here on the Suffolk coast. But .....Still the wind roars it’s fury at this virus and the sea boils with anger. It seems to reflect how we all feel in these worrying times. Life has turned itself upside down in such a short while. I hope it calms down soon and we can have a gentle day. Finished my 1000 piece jigsaw yesterday - so satisfying. Spoke to all the family on FaceTime and wassap and had a good giggle with no. 1 son singing ‘I just called to say I love you’ . You know youv e done ok as a mum when things like that happen. X

grannysyb Mon 23-Mar-20 08:15:17

Good morning from a bright and sunny Teddington,. Spoke to DD and children yesterday, all good there. DS cane with flowers after his shift finished at a large M and S. His day off today so he is doing shopping for us. Must make some soup, then go to the allotment, which is keeping us sane.

Urmstongran Mon 23-Mar-20 08:21:59

DD put the photo on Facebook and her friends asked if she was on drugs! She had conjunctivitis, which she ended up giving to all of us!

Oh Marydoll I’ve just burst out laughing at that! Himself looked over. I don’t share. He doesn’t know about my GN persona!!

NannyJan53 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:22:46

Good Morning from a bright and sunny Black Country.

It should be my Monday walking for Health group this morning. The weather is good, but we are stuck inside. Will take the chance to wash cushion covers etc.

Had a video chat with DD on Whats App yesterday, what a strange Mothers Day!

I suspected you may have to stay longer Urmston. You would be no better off back here though. Take care flowers
It seems total lockdown is on the cards here, as many people are totally ignoring the 2 metre distancing whilst out.

Marydoll you never fail to make us chuckle! My DD always complains about the outfits I 'made' her wear when she was little. Browns and orange patterned dresses were in fashion in the 70's smile

Take care everyone, and have the best day you can in the circumstances.

Kalu Mon 23-Mar-20 08:27:52

DD1 is also a 15min. drive away in the opposite direction from you. I can leave home in dry weather and arrive at hers to a rainy spot Marydoll including difference in temperature on some occasions. ?

Lins1066 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:28:07

Good Morning Mick and all from a dry, cold S Welsh coast.
Still in bed with a cuppa and listening to the local radio, no paper delivery as yet.
Had a lovely walk yesterday and will do the same today. I too think that the lockdown isn't far off as far too many people are ignoring Govt advice.
Take care everyone.

Marydoll Mon 23-Mar-20 08:28:39

Urmston, I do hope you manage to get your meds. You may have a better chance in Spain than here. SIL has been waiting for his for over a week. sad

Take care and stay safe. flowers

Kalu Mon 23-Mar-20 08:30:27

No sun here yet but I live in hope??

fatgran57 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:31:20

Good morning all.

Nice fine day here but a bit cold.

Spread 3 bags of seaweed on garden, repotted a largish palm, OH heaved a large old milk can with a big rush planted in it into the back of a border, I went next door to daughters place and mulched her side garden with a huge bag of wood shavings, then used the leaf blower to sweep her driveway.

She was at work at supermarket and was doing all our grocery shopping plus getting prescriptions made up for both of us so it was the least I could do for her.

We are all ok at the moment,two daughters, their husbands, both with two children each, plus son in law's elderly but very fit father who lives on his own but is now staying in isolation also.

This waiting is very frightening isn't it.

Keep well people.

BladeAnnie Mon 23-Mar-20 08:45:40

Good morning everyone from a fine and bright mid-Notts. Isn't everything surreal at the moment? And worsening so quickly too - I feel it won't be long before the country is on complete lockdown. Washing and a few household chores await. I found all the ER series on channel 4 catch up yesterday so there's my viewing for while I knit sorted for a while! I used to love ER. May Monday be kind to us all and stay safe x

kittylester Mon 23-Mar-20 08:46:15

Morning all from a bright but cold North Leicestershire.

I have missed a few mornings this week. We seem to be having a perfect storm of things to deal with at the moment.....but I am keeping an eye on you!

Nannytopsy Mon 23-Mar-20 08:47:41

Good morning Mick and all his followers. More lovely sunshine in Suffolk. We spent plenty of time yesterday making vitamin D in the garden and plan to do the same today. ?
Good luck to us all.

Mapleleaf Mon 23-Mar-20 08:49:08

Good morning all,

A lovely bright, but chilly morning again.

It should have been the coffee group today, but of course that is cancelled for the foreseeable.

No church yesterday, either, but I did watch the service online given by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

I got another load of bedding dried outside yesterday, so will iron that later. (I know, exciting ?). Then I must get outside with a bowl of hot soapy water and the scrubbing brush and scrub down the mini greenhouses ready for the plants to go in. That should keep me busy for an hour or so.

How are lives have been forced to change, though watching all those foolish people yesterday flocking to the seaside and the countryside left me feeling incredulous at their selfishness and stupidity. I suppose they might have thought it's likely going to be the last chance they get to go anywhere, but honestly, where is common sense? It's bound to lead to lockdown very soon, I fear.

Take care everyone. ?

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 08:51:31

Good morning from the NE coast where there is no sign of the sun yet .

Well here I am on a Monday (my absolute worst day of the week) sitting in my pj’s having a second cup of tea and it all seems surreal .

I’m going to take my time getting ready and will be heading off to “that place” in order to send some emails and sit on the HMRC helpline for what will no doubt be hours (that’s assuming it hasn’t crashed) .

My DD is very upset and frightened and was in tears on the phone last night . I would honestly bring her and Evie here if it were not for the stupid (and not very nice) dog she has been lumbered with . She can’t even take him for a nice walk with the baby as he would pull the pram over. angry

I wonder if I would be allowed to spend some time with them every day , even just pottering in the garden?

Managed to get a few bits and pieces for my dad this weekend so he should be okay for a while although I suspect the loneliness and isolation will begin to take its toll soon.

I do hope you manage to get your medication Urmstongran thinking of you over in your beloved Malaga . It must be torture not being able to get about at all.

We are going to be in a bit of a pickle moneywise very soon so clinging to the hope that those “lovely people” grin at HMRC have some good news . I Might get a bit sleep then .

Marydoll you made me laugh (again) my DS accuses me of “child abuse” saying that I “made him wear” the most gorgeous pair of blue kickers . They cost me almost a weeks wages back in the early 80’s and I was so proud to buy they for him, they were so cute. confused

Well that’s me . I do hope everyone stays safe and well and we can look back on this dreadful time and smile.

Love to all my Gransnet friends

Gillybob xx

Anniebach Mon 23-Mar-20 08:52:12

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grammaretto Mon 23-Mar-20 08:59:07

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is extremely quiet. I braved Lidl this morning for essentials. It's my nearest shop. The girl on the till was feeling cross that they were in a crowd all day long and nobody providing them with screenwear. I thanked her profusely.

Oh Marydoll you do know how to make the best of things.
Mother's Day was a bit of a non-event here. apart from 2 video calls and I have had 2 home made cards. I baked a cake and ate most of it.

The silver lining today was I may have picked up my last Big Mac packaging from my garden for a while as they have closed! and the pub across the street has closed. Hurrah!

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 09:01:54

I took so long to type my post (on my phone) that the sun is now shining here on the North East coast. The sea is shimmering as though it’s just a normal day .